Touro-CA MSMHS 2018-2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chromatic543

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just started the Touro-CA 2018-2019 MSMHS-COM thread, since the application just opened, and I am applying to it and other post-baccs as backups to the two IIs I have. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I did the MSMHS program and am now in the COM at Touro Ca. Let me know if you have any questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my primary applications at the very beginning of the year. But as part of the MSMHS program, there's no advantage to submitting the primary to Touro before it's due (which I think is February?)

I submitted my primary applications at the very beginning of the year. But as part of the MSMHS program, there's no advantage to submitting the primary to Touro before it's due (which I think is February?)

I always thought an early application was better. When you say beginning of the year, do you mean January OR the beginning of the academic year?

I always thought an early application was better. When you say beginning of the year, do you mean January OR the beginning of the academic year?
I submitted my primaries in the middle of July, and I started the master's program at the end of July. I had most of my secondaries submitted by the first week of school.
For all the other schools, yes, it's generally better to submit your primaries and secondaries earlier. But for Touro Ca it doesn't matter. the first set of interviews for us wasn't until March.

I submitted my primaries in the middle of July, and I started the master's program at the end of July. I had most of my secondaries submitted by the first week of school.
For all the other schools, yes, it's generally better to submit your primaries and secondaries earlier. But for Touro Ca it doesn't matter. the first set of interviews for us wasn't until March.

Did you let the schools know that you were currently in a Master's program? Or did you just submit all the grades you had, and then updated your application as you went along? I trust that it is not simple for them to consider your application if you are currently taking graduate level courses designed for Medical School until they see at least your first semester's grades.

Also, when you did the MSMHS program, were there fifteen (15) or sixty (60) people in the program?

Did you let the schools know that you were currently in a Master's program? Or did you just submit all the grades you had, and then updated your application as you went along? I trust that it is not simple for them to consider your application if you are currently taking graduate level courses designed for Medical School until they see at least your first semester's grades.

Also, when you did the MSMHS program, were there fifteen (15) or sixty (60) people in the program?
I put that I was enrolled and which classes I was taking, and then I sent transcripts after fall grades posted.
The class is now 60 people (currently in the 2nd year of that class size). My class started out with 64

I put that I was enrolled and which classes I was taking, and then I sent transcripts after fall grades posted.
The class is now 60 people (currently in the 2nd year of that class size). My class started out with 64

Would you recommend the program? I am thinking about this program and trying to compare it to the CSUEB PHAP program and the SFSU program. I know it's going to be difficult, and I may not get into Touro-COM, but I'm not sure how else to proceed.

Yes, I would recommend it, especially if you want to go to Touro. It's a very difficult program (I'd say about 70% of the workload of the COM) and is tailored to emulate the COM. We have many of the same professors and sometimes the exact same material. It also helps you figure out how to study a ton of complicated stuff in a short amount of time, which I think helps with adjustment in med school. I'm really glad I did this program.

Also, why do you say you might not get into Touro?

Yes, I would recommend it, especially if you want to go to Touro. It's a very difficult program (I'd say about 70% of the workload of the COM) and is tailored to emulate the COM. We have many of the same professors and sometimes the exact same material. It also helps you figure out how to study a ton of complicated stuff in a short amount of time, which I think helps with adjustment in med school. I'm really glad I did this program.

Also, why do you say you might not get into Touro?

I was reading last year's thread, and it sounds like one has to fight for a spot in the top 15 to get a guaranteed acceptance at the COM. My only concern is spending a lot, doing well, but maybe placing in the top 20, just shy of being in the Goldilocks zone.

I was reading last year's thread, and it sounds like one has to fight for a spot in the top 15 to get a guaranteed acceptance at the COM. My only concern is spending a lot, doing well, but maybe placing in the top 20, just shy of being in the Goldilocks zone.
There's no such thing as guaranteed acceptance to the COM. And I know that we did not state or insinuate that in last year's thread. I don't know my exact class rank, but I would guess I was somewhere in the top 20. And I did not get waitlisted for the COM. What you do while you're in the program matters almost as much as your GPA. I did a lot of volunteering and shadowing through Touro. GPA isn't everything. That being said, don't expect to get into the COM with something like a 3.0....

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
also, almost 30 of us were accepted, out of the 34 ish who interviewed.

Here's part of the program's FAQ:

As a student in the MSMHS program, when I interview for the COM, am I guaranteed an acceptance?

No. While it has been our history that a significant number of MSMHS students have been accepted into the COM, acceptance is not guaranteed. MSMHS students are encouraged to apply to a wide variety of medical schools (including TUCOM CA) to improve their chances of acceptance.

If I am accepted and I choose to enroll in the MSMHS program, what can I do to improve my chances of acceptance into the COM?

When considering MSMHS students, the COM Admissions Committee will, among other items, closely examine the following:

• Academic performance. The MSMHS curriculum closely resembles the COM curriculum. If you do well in the MSMHS program the COM Admissions Committee can be reasonably certain you will do well in the COM curriculum.
  • MCAT performance. Currently, the medical school requires a minimum MCAT score of 502 or better. According to the demographics for the most recent entering class, the average MCAT score is much higher. For the best possible chances for acceptance into the medical school, MSMHS students should aim for a MCAT score of 506 or better.
  • Knowledge of Osteopathic Medicine. Take advantage of opportunities on campus to learn more about osteopathic medicine. Be involved with student clinics, OMM demonstrations, and any other events that may be open to you throughout the academic year.

I was also in the MSMHS program and was accepted after a gap year. Let me know if you have any questions!

Reactions: 1 users
I was also in the MSMHS program and was accepted after a gap year. Let me know if you have any questions!

Was the gap year your choice, or did it take an extra year for you to matriculate? I want to apply to the COM while being in the MSMHS program.

Here's part of the program's FAQ:

As a student in the MSMHS program, when I interview for the COM, am I guaranteed an acceptance?

No. While it has been our history that a significant number of MSMHS students have been accepted into the COM, acceptance is not guaranteed. MSMHS students are encouraged to apply to a wide variety of medical schools (including TUCOM CA) to improve their chances of acceptance.

If I am accepted and I choose to enroll in the MSMHS program, what can I do to improve my chances of acceptance into the COM?

When considering MSMHS students, the COM Admissions Committee will, among other items, closely examine the following:

• Academic performance. The MSMHS curriculum closely resembles the COM curriculum. If you do well in the MSMHS program the COM Admissions Committee can be reasonably certain you will do well in the COM curriculum.
  • MCAT performance. Currently, the medical school requires a minimum MCAT score of 502 or better. According to the demographics for the most recent entering class, the average MCAT score is much higher. For the best possible chances for acceptance into the medical school, MSMHS students should aim for a MCAT score of 506 or better.
  • Knowledge of Osteopathic Medicine. Take advantage of opportunities on campus to learn more about osteopathic medicine. Be involved with student clinics, OMM demonstrations, and any other events that may be open to you throughout the academic year.

Thank you for all this information, and thank you for taking the time to do it. I should really read more about this.

There's no such thing as guaranteed acceptance to the COM. And I know that we did not state or insinuate that in last year's thread. I don't know my exact class rank, but I would guess I was somewhere in the top 20. And I did not get waitlisted for the COM. What you do while you're in the program matters almost as much as your GPA. I did a lot of volunteering and shadowing through Touro. GPA isn't everything. That being said, don't expect to get into the COM with something like a 3.0....

I see. So I should treat it like I would undergrad, but expect it to be MUCH MORE difficult. So far, I have a 3.20 cGPA, a 3.21 sGPA, a 502 MCAT (126-124-126-126), along with about 1000 hours of clinical experience including volunteering at a cancer clinic, and assisting in caring for disabled patients. I have also shadowed an MD and a DO, and have a letter of recommendation from a DO.

For starters, I am HIGHLY considering retaking the MCAT while I have time right now, and I guess since you mentioned volunteering, I will be doing more of that.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergraduate GPA, your MSMHS GPA, and your MCAT?

Was the gap year your choice, or did it take an extra year for you to matriculate? I want to apply to the COM while being in the MSMHS program.
I didn’t have a qualifying MCAT score and needed some DO shadowing and a letter. My advice is do well in the program, at least above a 3.5. Also get letters from the faculty there. If you can do that you have a great chance to get admitted.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t have a qualifying MCAT score and needed some DO shadowing and a letter. My advice is do well in the program, at least above a 3.5. Also get letters from the faculty there. If you can do that you have a great chance to get admitted.

What was your MCAT score when it didn't qualify, and what was your score after that? I have MD and DO shadowing and have a DO letter. Also if you don't mind me asking, what was your cGPA/sGPA in your undergraduate and your MSMHS GPA?

What was your MCAT score when it didn't qualify, and what was your score after that? I have MD and DO shadowing and have a DO letter. Also if you don't mind me asking, what was your cGPA/sGPA in your undergraduate and your MSMHS GPA?
I had a 23 from 3 years prior so the score was expired. They wouldn’t have cared about the score if it did qualify since they only care about your graduate gpa. I had a 2.9 sGPA and a 3.2 cGPA and I got a 3.6 GPA in the MSMHs program. I would say number one is do to well. If you do bad then you will kill you chances to get into medical school. This is an audition to see if you can hambsle the curriculum.

I see. So I should treat it like I would undergrad, but expect it to be MUCH MORE difficult. So far, I have a 3.20 cGPA, a 3.21 sGPA, a 502 MCAT (126-124-126-126), along with about 1000 hours of clinical experience including volunteering at a cancer clinic, and assisting in caring for disabled patients. I have also shadowed an MD and a DO, and have a letter of recommendation from a DO.

For starters, I am HIGHLY considering retaking the MCAT while I have time right now, and I guess since you mentioned volunteering, I will be doing more of that.

If you don't mind me asking, what was your undergraduate GPA, your MSMHS GPA, and your MCAT?
It's nothing like undergrad, not even comparable with the level of difficulty and the amount of material. Treat it like it's med school. I started with a sGPA of 2.75, a cGPA of 3.25, and an MCAT of 26 (ps 6, bs 10, vr 10), which I think is a 501 by the new score. I finished my 1st semester with a 3.48 and my second with a 3.51. But Touro's grading scale is a little weird. You can find it here: http://studentservices.tu.edu/_resources/docs/registrar/formspage/Grade_Scale.pdf According to AACOMAS, my fall GPA was over 3.55 if I remember correctly. Clinical experience before starting the program is important. It's also important to do stuff with Touro. Thankfully there is no lack of volunteer and shadowing activities. Touro also puts a heavy emphasis on the Osteopathic philosophy and OMM. It's very important that you have at least a baseline knowledge of them and preferably some personal experience (shadowing, being treated, coming to our OMM lab during class, etc)

It's nothing like undergrad, not even comparable with the level of difficulty and the amount of material. Treat it like it's med school. I started with a sGPA of 2.75, a cGPA of 3.25, and an MCAT of 26 (ps 6, bs 10, vr 10), which I think is a 501 by the new score. I finished my 1st semester with a 3.48 and my second with a 3.51. But Touro's grading scale is a little weird. You can find it here: http://studentservices.tu.edu/_resources/docs/registrar/formspage/Grade_Scale.pdf According to AACOMAS, my fall GPA was over 3.55 if I remember correctly. Clinical experience before starting the program is important. It's also important to do stuff with Touro. Thankfully there is no lack of volunteer and shadowing activities. Touro also puts a heavy emphasis on the Osteopathic philosophy and OMM. It's very important that you have at least a baseline knowledge of them and preferably some personal experience (shadowing, being treated, coming to our OMM lab during class, etc)

Is is possible to still be able to have free time, or are you constantly swamped with studying? I'm used to being swamped with studying, but I also spent time hanging out with friends and doing social things.

Congratulations on obtaining your 3.55 GPA! I'm hoping I can perform as well as you did.

I have 1000 hours of volunteering in a hospital and caring for elderly patients, and have shadowed an MD and a DO. The DO I shadowed did at least two OMM treatments per day, and I was able to observe her, got treated by her to see what it feels like, and have read Dr. Fulford's "Touch of Life" which gave me a better understanding of how OMM works. Do you think this is a good start?

Is is possible to still be able to have free time, or are you constantly swamped with studying? I'm used to being swamped with studying, but I also spent time hanging out with friends and doing social things.

Congratulations on obtaining your 3.55 GPA! I'm hoping I can perform as well as you did.

I have 1000 hours of volunteering in a hospital and caring for elderly patients, and have shadowed an MD and a DO. The DO I shadowed did at least two OMM treatments per day, and I was able to observe her, got treated by her to see what it feels like, and have read Dr. Fulford's "Touch of Life" which gave me a better understanding of how OMM works. Do you think this is a good start?
Yeah that's a good start, but there's always room for more! As for free time....haha...no, not really. Masters class averages around 30hrs a week and I normally studied between 30 and 40hrs a week on top of that. It's important to not make school your entire life, but do be prepared for it to be a majority of it. I have essentially zero social life outside my study group. I see my family pretty much only on major breaks, and that's only if I don't have an exam coming up (the master's exams are almost always scheduled after holidays, FYI). I usually take most of Friday off to have time for my brain to relax, but other than that, I study at least a few hours every day and pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. I sometimes use part of lunch to go workout in the gym at school, cuz it seems to be the only chance I usually get.

MSMHS you’ll have plenty of free time, especially in the spring when research starts. Just make sure to have a good study schedule.

MSMHS you’ll have plenty of free time, especially in the spring when research starts. Just make sure to have a good study schedule.
They changed the spring schedule for this year's class. Now they have research internship every Friday and the classes last a whole semester.

It was also changed to make bio stats a semester-long class instead of the last few weeks

Thanks, you too! You know how many others who took a gap year got in?
I know of at least 1 who has been accepted. Haven't heard from another. A third is waiting for their interview.

I know of at least 1 who has been accepted. Haven't heard from another. A third is waiting for their interview.
That’s encouraging news. I know one who was accepted but will be going to RVU instead.

That’s encouraging news. I know one who was accepted but will be going to RVU instead.

Seeing this is encouraging! I am going to finish my application to the MSMHS-COM program in the next couple of days, while I work on retaking the MCAT. I started yesterday and studied for about five hours, and have cranked out seven hours today :)

Time to get this 502 to a 510!

Seeing this is encouraging! I am going to finish my application to the MSMHS-COM program in the next couple of days, while I work on retaking the MCAT. I started yesterday and studied for about five hours, and have cranked out seven hours today :)

Time to get this 502 to a 510!
Good luck with studying. When are you planning on taking the MCAT again?

Good luck with studying. When are you planning on taking the MCAT again?

I am going to take it in May, and hopefully start the MSMHS-COM program right after.

I am going to take it in May, and hopefully start the MSMHS-COM program right after.
Good plan. It's a good idea to either take it before you start or after you graduate. Really tough to try to study for the MCAT and the masters and still do well on both.

Hello!

I am also applying for Touro MSMHS this year as well! I had a question about the primary application-- what would you recommend about LOR? I was hoping I can get LOR from the professors at the master program. I only have 1 biostatistic LOR (idk if it counts as a biological/physical science prof), 1 MD, 1 Ph.D (PI), 1 community service which i know are pretty strong LOR. But I also have a LOR from a molecular biology professor but i'm not sure the strength of the letter... Hopefully, can get a DO letter soon.

What do you recommend for me to do when submitting a primary? How many LORs from professors (science/nonscience) do I need?

Also, did you apply to any other schools when you submitted the primary?

Last edited:
Hello!

I am also applying for Touro MSMHS this year as well! I had a question about the primary application-- what would you recommend about LOR? I was hoping I can get LOR from the professors at the master program. I only have 1 biostatistic LOR (idk if it counts as a biological/physical science prof), 1 MD, 1 Ph.D (PI), 1 community service which i know are pretty strong LOR. But I also have a LOR from a molecular biology professor but i'm not sure the strength of the letter... Hopefully, can get a DO letter soon.

What do you recommend for me to do when submitting a primary? How many LORs from professors (science/nonscience) do I need?

Need 2 science Faculty and one MD/DO (DO preferred). It is recommended to apply to more than one school because there is more competition with the larger class size. Ask for LORs after the first semester. You will be assigned to an advisor so use that opportunity to form a good relationship with them. One of my letters from the program came from my advisor. I took a gap year so I’m sure @Cal_EMT can provide more insight.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello!

Pretty much what kus676 said about LORs. And I agree that it's best to get one some time in Spring semester, so the person your asking has had a chance to get to know you and know your strengths. While you don't necessarily need a LOR from a DO for the Masters program application, I highly suggest you get one when applying for the COM. I got a letter from one Touro COM faculty (who is also a DO), although I did have another DO LOR before starting the Masters as well.

As for the primary application, are you talking about the Masters application or the AACOMAS primary application? The application for the Masters program is just one application, no secondary or interview. Once you're in the Masters program though, you will have to submit a primary app through AACOMAS, as well as a secondary app with TUC.

Last edited:
Pretty much what kus676 said about LORs. And I agree that it's best to get one some time in Spring semester, so the person your asking has had a chance to get to know you and know your strengths. While you don't necessarily need a LOR from a DO for the Masters program application, I highly suggest you get one when applying for the COM. I got a letter from one Touro COM faculty (who is also a DO), although I did have another DO LOR before starting the Masters as well.

As for the primary application, are you talking about the Masters application or the AACOMAS primary application? The application for the Masters program is just one application, no secondary or interview. Once you're in the Masters program though, you will have to submit a primary app through AACOMAS, as well as a secondary app with TUC.

Thank you for that response. Yes, I'm talking about the AACOMAS. So, I know that most applications open in like June/July. If I don't have my LORs yet until Spring. Is that okay? Wouldn't I have to submit my LORs along with my application?

Also, Did you apply to any other schools other than Touro while in the MSMHS program?

Thank you for that response. Yes, I'm talking about the AACOMAS. So, I know that most applications open in like June/July. If I don't have my LORs yet until Spring. Is that okay? Wouldn't I have to submit my LORs along with my application?

Also, Did you apply to any other schools other than Touro while in the MSMHS program?
You need to have the required LORs when you submit your primary application. You can submit additional LORs later in the application cycle though. I submitted my two from Touro around March I think.
And yes, I applied to a few other school, but touro was my 1st choice

May I ask how did the application for other schools went? If you don't mind me asking, how were you stats like before/after the program?

May I ask how did the application for other schools went? If you don't mind me asking, how were you stats like before/after the program?
I already answered part of your question in post #23. As for applications with other schools, I applied to all of them before I had my fall semester grades from the masters. I ended up with several secondaries and one interview besides touro

How are your stats? If you have an average MCAT then add the new DO schools.