Touro-CA or LECOM-Bradenton?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrogE7

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am seriously trying to decide between Touro-CA and LECOM-Bradenton and I have to make a decision soon. I have read on SDN about both schools. But any thoughts? MSU-COM is also another school I got into, but am not leaning towards it.

I am worried about LECOM-Bradenton not getting it's accreditations till a class graduates, even though I fell in love with it and PBL. Touro was okay, but I like the opportunity to do research and their match-list.

Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like you prefer LECOM-Bradenton, i say go with your guts. that is always the best choice.

if you like the PBL..bradenton is the way to go...if you like the hospital affiliation..and a more established school..go to tucom-mi..that and where do you see yourself practicing medicine...east coast/west coast?

Members don't see this ad :)
FrogE7 said:
I am seriously trying to decide between Touro-CA and LECOM-Bradenton and I have to make a decision soon. I have read on SDN about both schools. But any thoughts? MSU-COM is also another school I got into, but am not leaning towards it.

I am worried about LECOM-Bradenton not getting it's accreditations till a class graduates, even though I fell in love with it and PBL. Touro was okay, but I like the opportunity to do research and their match-list.

Please help.

I think the real decision is Bay Area, Cal. vs. Bradenton, Flor. It is obvious that the opportunities you'll have in the Bay Area are much more vast than those in Bradenton. For instance, if you care at all about technology (both medical and recreational) the Bay Area is one of the best places to be. If you don't care about that and want to work with a bunch of old, retired folks you might be better off in Florida.

I don't really subscribe to the "go with your heart" method of choosing of your school. I believe that there are more pragmatic and realistic means by which you can decide. Think about your family, what you want to do in your future, where you want to reside, what type of a life you want to have, etc. etc. Obviously, you want to go somewhere that will make you happy...but don't forget (and I'm not assuming that you have) that our career path is filled with nothing but sacrifice.

Good luck.

MSU hands down - why are you not considering it? Well-established, university-affiliated, respected, well-known, entrenched clinical affiliations. Can't honestly say any of these things about the other two schools.

FrogE7 said:

Please help.

Please know that Lecom-Bradenton is fully accredited. It was granted full accreditation based on the main campus (the main campus was extended to Lecom-Bradenton). According to the school ( I wont name names but had lunch with the person) all schools that are branch campuses were granted accreditation based on the main campus.

That being said I agree with the other post, go with your gut, if you like PBL you can find a way to do research either in school or during residency or after....

pm2do said:
Please know that Lecom-Bradenton is fully accredited. It was granted full accreditation based on the main campus (the main campus was extended to Lecom-Bradenton). According to the school ( I wont name names but had lunch with the person) all schools that are branch campuses were granted accreditation based on the main campus.

That being said I agree with the other post, go with your gut, if you like PBL you can find a way to do research either in school or during residency or after....

Actually, the accreditation for branch campus' is provisional. It is not an issue at all though, that is just a formality of how the process works.
I can tell you from experience that doing research at LECOM-Bradenton would be very difficult.

Lecom-Bradenton is NOT provisional it is FULLY accredited. This is straight from the horses mouth at school.

I agree that research would be hard but can be done....

(nicedream) said:
MSU hands down - why are you not considering it? Well-established, university-affiliated, respected, well-known, entrenched clinical affiliations. Can't honestly say any of these things about the other two schools.

agreed...msu is probably the best.and michigan is a very very DO friendly state

pm2do said:
Lecom-Bradenton is NOT provisional it is FULLY accredited. This is straight from the horses mouth at school.

I agree that research would be hard but can be done....

The horse is wrong. LECOM-FL does not qualify for NHSC scholarships because they have not graduated a class yet. Because they aren't fully accredited.

cosmo said:
The horse is wrong. LECOM-FL does not qualify for NHSC scholarships because they have not graduated a class yet. Because they aren't fully accredited.

now now now, lets not be rude....but yes LECOM-FL has what is termed candidate for accredidation.... the info below is right from the LECOM website.... hope this puts your minds at ease...

ACCREDITATION
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is fully accredited by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the American Osteopathic Association, Bureau of Education, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA). AOA COCA is the only accrediting agency for predoctoral osteopathic medical education, and is recognized by the United States Department of Education.

LECOM is a Candidate for Accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (267-284-5000).

Candidate for Accreditation is a status of affiliation with a regional accrediting commission, which indicates that an institution has achieved initial recognition and is progressing toward, but is not assured of, accreditation. It has provided evidence of sound planning, appears to have the resources to implement the plans, and appears to have the potential for reaching its goals within a reasonable time. The LECOM Bradenton campus was added to the institution’s candidate status in June 2005.

kota315 said:
now now now, lets not be rude....but yes LECOM-FL has what is termed candidate for accredidation.... the info below is right from the LECOM website.... hope this puts your minds at ease...

ACCREDITATION
The Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine is fully accredited by the Department of Education of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the American Osteopathic Association, Bureau of Education, Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA). AOA COCA is the only accrediting agency for predoctoral osteopathic medical education, and is recognized by the United States Department of Education.

LECOM is a Candidate for Accreditation by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104 (267-284-5000).

Candidate for Accreditation is a status of affiliation with a regional accrediting commission, which indicates that an institution has achieved initial recognition and is progressing toward, but is not assured of, accreditation. It has provided evidence of sound planning, appears to have the resources to implement the plans, and appears to have the potential for reaching its goals within a reasonable time. The LECOM Bradenton campus was added to the institution’s candidate status in June 2005.

my apologies. I did not mean to sound rude. Danged ole Internet, man.

cosmo said:
my apologies. I did not mean to sound rude. Danged ole Internet, man.

No worries....