Touro CA vs. Touro NV Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which would you go to?

• Touro CA

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Touro NV

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters

Neurophysin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to both schools and am debating which school's 3rd and 4th rotations would be better? I know both school's rotations have had a lot of hearsay rumors on sdn but I only applied to west coast schools since my wife is currently a med student at UC Irvine and I want to stay close enough to her where I can drive or hop on an hr flight to see her every month. I am currently wait-listed at Loma Linda :xf:. I applied late and my one of my LORs got to Western really late so I haven't heard anything from them. So out of the 2 Touros, which one you guys choose if based on the rotations alone. Have to put down a deposit soon.

Touro CA
3rd year: Lottery decides if you go to Northern, Central, or Southern Cali, Michigan, or New York
4th year: Anywhere you want

Pros: There is a chance I could end up in so cal for 3rd yr. Great match list, alot matched into Cali
Cons: Risk of being sent far away for 3rd yr. Have heard a lot of bad things about rotations but things are improving???

Touro NV
3rd year: 10 months in the vegas area, 2 months electives anywhere
4th year: Anywhere you want

Pros: Rotations at affiliated residency programs. Things have improved since the first class graduated.
Cons: Have heard that most rotations are good, some have been a miss.

Members don't see this ad.

I really like the idea of doing rotations in SoCal, since I am from there. I heard some people have transferred between these 2 schools? Is that possible?

I've personally heard better things concerning TUNV rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is wrong with Touro-CA's rotations? Is it just because most of them are in SoCal?

What makes you think most of them are in So Cal? Also, I've just heard differing things (on this site) concerning quality, scheduling on your own, and moving to places like MI and NY. If it's a lottery, I wouldn't simply assume you're going to So Cal.

+1 for Touro NV. I'm a OMS II from Touro NV, and I love it! The third and fourth years that I talk to enjoy the majority of their rotations and the fourth years feel well prepared for residency. A lot of this talk of "hit or miss" rotations is funny because it's like that wherever you go! The quality of your rotation will largely depend on who your preceptor is. Some know how to teach and some won't. Learn how to roll with it and you'll be fine, whichever school you choose to go to. Good luck!

This is the link I found online regarding Touro CA rotation lottery for the class of 2012. The actual list appears to be locked but based on last years list, about 24 students got to go to so-cal? Any current students know more about this? I'm sure this could change by the time we hit 3rd year. Thanks!

http://www.tourospin.com/index.html

Hopefully a current Touro-CA student can comment on this...how difficult would it be to get the MI rotations--that link provided earlier in the thread said there are 12 spots for MI? I mean it seems like that would be quality rotations as the Pontiac Osteopathic Hospital has a lot of residencies affiliated there, so does anyone have any comments on that?

This is the link I found online regarding Touro CA rotation lottery for the class of 2012. The actual list appears to be locked but based on last years list, about 24 students got to go to so-cal? Any current students know more about this? I'm sure this could change by the time we hit 3rd year. Thanks!

http://www.tourospin.com/index.html

I wonder how likely is it that we are able to get the SoCal rotation spots?

I wonder how likely is it that we are able to get the SoCal rotation spots?

You should try PMing some 3/4 year students. I'd guess that the So Cal spots are pretty popular, and if it is just based on a lottery, they'd probably go pretty quick.

Hands down go to NV!! Touro CA's clinical years have had a lot of issues. I don't know if this has changed now but I've heard stories of students being abandoned by the school in 4th year and the clinical staff being disorganized with the paperwork needed to do rotations. Yet somehow they still have a good match list so I don't know what is fully going on. NV has had more positive comments.