Touro CA vs Touro NY Harlem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medbunny56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think touro CA is the clear winner here.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Which do you like better? Deli food and real pizza, or Napa wines, Mexican food, and seafood.

Need help deciding between the two, here's my list of pros/cons so far:

Touro CA
Pros:
-good weather
-been around longer/more established
-more likely to get a CA residency
-solid rotation sites (UCSF Fresno, Kaiser)
-solid ACGME residency matches (UC Irvine, UCSF Fresno, UCSD, UCLA Harbor, UC Davis, BU, Georgetown, NYU, Case Western)

Cons:
-campus is a bit worn out
-vallejo seems pretty shady to live in
-closest real city is 1 hour away (san francisco)

Touro NY-Harlem
Pros:
-close proximity to NYC/good social area (30 mins)
-newer program, maybe better faculty/education?

Cons
-bad weather
-really hate the actual campus (just two floors on top of a building)
-their residencies at "notable programs" are usually just at the satelittle hospitals
-heard terrible things about the rotations (some are just at outpatient offices, not even real hospitals)
-weak residency connections to CA/west coast area

Reactions: 1 user
Touro CA no doubt. This coming from a lifelong NY'er and D.O. school expert/maniac

Touro CA
Pros:
-good weather
-solid ACGME residency matches (UC Irvine, UCSF Fresno, UCSD, UCLA Harbor, UC Davis, BU, Georgetown, NYU, Case Western)

Cons:

Touro NY-Harlem
Pros:

Cons
-bad weather
-their residencies at "notable programs" are usually just at the satelittle hospitals
-heard terrible things about the rotations (some are just at outpatient offices, not even real hospitals)

Hold the phone there sonny boy (or bunny girl?)

Where do you get off saying NYC has "bad weather?" You must be one of those California brats. CHICAGO has bad weather. SEATTLE has bad weather. BOSTON has bad weather. NYC has perfectly fine weather, but it does have weather.

Touro NY is not the top 2 floors in an building. It's the top 4 floors!

Pretty much all your cons for Touro NY are also cons for Touro CA, just so you know. ALL the DO schools' "notable programs" residency matches are usually satellite campuses. What do you think UCSF Fresno is?

Your comment about Touro NY rotation sites is true, but the same applies to virtually all DO schools, including Touro CA.

That being said, it seems like you have roots in Cali and want to practice there. Touro CA is the obvious choice.

Touro CA
Pros:
-good weather

Cons:

Touro NY-Harlem
Pros:

Cons
-bad weather

Touro CA is the better school, I would choose that one.

Quick question about Touro and AACOMAS:

So I applied to Touro NY. There's only one Touro in NY listed on AACOMAS, but there's Touro Middletown and Touro in Harlem. Does applying to "Touro NY" cover both?

thank

Quick question about Touro and AACOMAS:

So I applied to Touro NY. There's only one Touro in NY listed on AACOMAS, but there's Touro Middletown and Touro in Harlem. Does applying to "Touro NY" cover both?

thank

Yes. Middletown is technically part of Touro NY. Applying to touro NY automatically sends your application to both campuses. You will select a preference in the secondary.

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding Touro in Harlem( looked through their website, and they were very vague about it): is there any housing aid, or do you need to find an apartment on your own?
Thank you!

Hi everyone!
I have a question regarding Touro in Harlem( looked through their website, and they were very vague about it): is there any housing aid, or do you need to find an apartment on your own?
Thank you!

You’re on your own

TouroCA hands down. TouroNY has screwed over so many present second and third year students. In the past TouroNY has over enrolled classes then forced students to defer for a year. Our clinical rotations are pretty bad as are the contents inside the med school. Located in a bad neighborhood with constant police activity on 125th street which is way more than downtown NYC. TouroNY should just be a last resort.