Touro CA vs Western U Pomona

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med-app

Reaction score
I got into both Touro CA and Western U Pomona, and really liked the atmosphere and culture both schools had. The interview day went really well for both schools, and I loved both campuses. I got accepted to Touro for this year, but got deferred admission for Western for next year since the current class was full. I am originally from the Bay Area, but currently live in Socal with my S/O since he's doing his PhD. We've also been planning to move back to the Bay in the future.

Touro CA
Pros:
  • In the bay area, and my S/O would also move up to Norcal after he graduates in a year, as there would be better job opportunities there. I would also have more emotional support with family and friends
  • True P/F grading system, but you are ranked (not sure if all schools rank students). I believe this pure P/F grading system was implemented this year
  • Has a good match list
  • The community/students are really nice and friendly
  • Will begin Fall 2020, and I'd prefer not to wait anymore (currently in my 3rd gap year)
  • Mare Island seems nice and safe
Cons:
  • I've heard the education/rotation sites aren't as great as Western U
  • Campus looks run down and old
Western U
Pros:
  • Better reputation
  • Has a good match list
  • Newer facilities
  • Has 24 hours (I believe, I forgot the exact number) of class a week, which allows for more study time
  • Since its deferred admission, I would be able to stay with my S/O, and make an income during this extra gap year
Cons:
  • Around 50% of lectures would be video lectures from the Western NW Campus, and I personally prefer to attend classes in person, and physically meet up with professors if I have any questions
  • Since it's deferred admission, I would have to wait another year to being Fall 2021
  • Area seems somewhat unsafe
Both seem to have good match lists, and their tuition is around the same. I'm just not sure which school to pick given location and timing of when I would begin at each school. I've read many posts that Western U is the overall better choice, but I'm still stuck given my situation. I would appreciate any advice, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I live in LA and can attest that the unsafe area is really not that unsafe. Just be smart and don't walk alone at night etc etc. The rotations at Western are all in SoCal and who wouldn't want to stay in SoCal. like seriously, but I'm super biased since I grew up here. Western is also a bigger name.

Biggest thing for me is location and with both Touro CA and Western Pomona being in "dangerous" locations, I believe Touro CA is in a more sketchy place.

Reactions: 1 user
2nd year Touro CA student here about to go on rotations. While Vallejo may be historically 'dangerous', it is no more dangerous than other areas. I would take the same advice as above, just be smart and don't walk alone. In reality, most students stay on Mare Island at night, or go to Berkeley/Concord/SF. Not many of us venture into Vallejo at night. During the day time, it is fine. Interestingly, Vallejo is one of the most diverse communities in the U.S. and if you are interested in working with underserved populations and primary care-oriented focus, Touro is a good choice.

There have been car break ins in the area around campus, but car break-ins seem to be a Bay area thing, not a Touro thing. And plus, you should be smart and avoid leaving your backpack and computer out in the open anyways, take it with you. In terms of safety, I think that shouldn't be a factor.

That being said, rotations is an interesting discussion. The rotations scene seems to be changing a little--currently we have 10+ sites that we can rotate at, but they are trying to shift it more to St Joes (Stockton) and Sacramento. That will likely take a few years to happen though. Some of the rotations are very good such as Sac and Stockton and Santa Rosa (although this is the last year we have that site). I cannot speak to Western's rotations but this could present a possible challenge. We do still have a good match list regardless, and we are now a P/F system. Even with rank, that does not matter that much. Residencies favor boards scores and LOR's anyways, grades are much lower in the totem pole. I have mostly taught myself the curriculum with the exception of a few very great professors. There is a very supportive community here in terms of professors and students. I really love almost all the professors (always some bad seeds at every school). Campus does not look aesthetically pleasing, correct, but that is why I personally do not live on campus or Vallejo, and choose to commute, and instead study in Berkeley/Benicia/etc. whenever I get a chance. No matter what medical school you choose, familial and friend support is CRUCIAL, as med school is a very difficult time and can be emotionally difficult. Nonetheless, we get through it!

Hope this helps give a little perspective. Feel free to ask more q's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptances!

Touro was a good choice for me i'd say

Pros:
-The faculty and staff are amazing, they are there to teach you and have an open door policy for the most part. You can walk in and ask them questions about anything and they are usually open to teaching you.
-The administration cares about you and wants you to succeed. I think this is the biggest pro here the administration and staff are awesome.
-They will prepare you well for 3rd year. We do things like ultrasound, IV draws, vaccinations, full physicals, tons of standardized patient work, pediatrics labs with real kids, pregnancy labs with real pregnant woman, in first 2 years. You will be well prepared for 3rd year.
-Great volunteer opportunities , there is a student run free clinic where you can do OMM , take a history, etc. Also other volunteer opportunities with diabetes education, vaccinations, etc.
-Students are pretty chill for the most part
-Rotations are actually pretty good and you have time in your schedule to do "away" and "audition" rotations in fourth year.
-Curriculum lines up very well with the boards (step1 and 2 , and COMLEX 1/2)
-This can be a pro/con but we do blocks of exams here, which sucks during block week, but afterwards you can travel or just kick it for a bit without feeling like your behind

Cons:
-First semester here is pretty challenging, but it gets a lot more manageable after that.
-Mandatory 8 AM labs, doesn't sound that bad at first but for night owls it can be an adjustment. 2nd years get 10 AM labs so that's way better.
-Housing is expensive. As a couple that's something to consider. But for $1400ish you could have your own 1BR apartment in a nice complex about 15 min drive from campus. It is safe though! Most students don't live in the unsafe areas.
A room in a shared house on the island would probably be $800ish, in a safe community. The island is where it's at but it's hard to find your own place.
-Lot of mandatory assignments, most students would rather be studying for boards or classes. But now with pass/fail Step 1 it's sorta null.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions, or reply here too, i don't check SDN often but i'll get back to you eventually

Last edited:
I was in your shoes last year, accepted to both touro and WesternU. I am also from the Bay Area and my s/o got a job in the bay as well. Ultimately I decided WesternU for its better rep and the fact I knew more ppl there who vouched for the school. My experience here has been overall positive, DM me if you have any specific questions.

Reactions: 1 users