Touro - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2012 -2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry you are bogged down by the superficial aspects of the school. I do agree that abandoned army barracks aren't what you think of a medical school neighborhood to look like. In all reality there is no way they could have cleared the buildings around the campus. I personally like the idea of how it is separated from any towns.

I also have heard that interviewers can seem rude. I spoke to the student interviewer after my interview (she asked me a really confusing question that I had zero chance of correctly answering) and she said that the content of the response doesn't matter that much; how composed you remain and how you articulate your thoughts to an outlandish question is what they believe shows your true character.

Anywho, if you think I'm an Adcom, go ahead and believeit. You voice your opinion and I will go ahead and voice mine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm interviewing here this Monday the 26th. This will be my first interview and it's my top choice, so I'm very very nervous! Anyone else interviewing monday? Does anyone have any advice for how I should prepare over the next few days?

I'm interviewing here this Monday the 26th. This will be my first interview and it's my top choice, so I'm very very nervous! Anyone else interviewing monday? Does anyone have any advice for how I should prepare over the next few days?

If you get a chance, I would just check out the interview feedback section and practice some questions. We only had time to answer 3 to 4 questions during the interview and they were pretty much just application specific. I would try to get to know the other people interviewing and be friendly because if its awkward throughout the day, it is going to be worse during the group interview. The director of admissions is pretty good at settling nerves and helping out. Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. But, ^suspicious post? You "love the area, the faculty, the open door policy the students... Etc.?" The use of "etc." to describe the things that you like (i.e. lack of specificity) as well as the diction chosen in your reply would indicate that someone from Touro posted this. I was by no means implying that Touro is deficient in the academic realm, just that their campus needs to reflect the prestige that comes along with being a medical school. Also, the fact that there is a difference between playing "good cop/bad cop" and being downright disrespectful to applicants. It may be true that some have had a good experience with Touro but if my claims were confirmed by another applicant (see above), I'm surely not being unfair in my assessment. I'm just offering my input as the medical school path is already expensive and I do not want someone to spend money visiting a school that is "not for them." Also, it would be in the best interest of the school to not scare away its applicants. It is time to start reassessing the interview process/the things that need to be improved.

Hmm... honestly, this is an online forum, and its more suspicious to me that you are so shocked that someone would have another opinion than yours, so much so that you truly believed they were a school rep.

Also, that's the application process. Medical schools don't really need to try hard to get applicants. They have thousands of qualified applicants, and reject >90% of them. That's why, unlike PhD programs, MD/DO programs don't pay for your traveling expenses when you're invited for an interview. You don't like the school fine, you don't like the way it looks great, let people know, but you don't have to be so surprised that they didn't throw flower petals at your feet when you walked in (*sorry, I had a sudden flash to that scene in "Coming to America"*).

That being said, if this is some form of catharsis that comes after a bad interview performance, I'm sorry. Some times interviews are rough, and they suck, and the whole process sucks. In the end, though one bad interview won't define your career or even your application process. All that matters is the interview that gets you into the school that will make your dream come true.

By the way, I'm not really familiar with this school, it just happens to be one of the many that I applied to. Hopefully I get in, I'm sure my wife would appreciate being a <1hr flight away from her sick father as opposed to the current 6+ hr flight.

Last edited:
I recently (a few weeks back) attended an interview a TUCOM CA. As we drove up, the campus looked dilapidated; it's more than apparent that they cut corners in the transition from naval base to medical school. Upon touring the campus, I became completely turned off about the school; much of the facility was poorly managed and to be quite frank, a pigsty! Almost to the point that I felt I should rescind my application and tell them that I am no longer interested. If the school is unable to maintain the facilities in proper accordance, how do you expect them to maintain a curriculum? And for the amount of tuition they charge, this is simply unacceptable. In addition, some of the interviewers (including one of mine) were unbelievably disrespectful to the applicants. Is this how you recruit students? By breaking them down? Perhaps, if the tuition were $20,000 cheaper and members of the faculty were not so disrespectful, it could be a choice school. If you are in California, I say go for it. But if you live anywhere outside of California, don't waste your money on traveling to an interview at a school that is hardly presentable. I hope that anyone else who has interviewed there had a much more pleasant experience than mine.

Sincerely,

- A concerned interviewee
Hello, I'm a 3rd year at Touro-CA. While this assessment of the campus at Touro is a bit extreme, I'll admit that we don't have the most impressive facilities. But the outward appearance of anything is just that: an outward appearance. The campus itself is on the grounds of a historic naval base, and any renovations must keep in accordance with maintaining this "historic" nature. From the inside, though, you will find that the facilities (lecture halls, study rooms, library, OMM room, anatomy room) are always kept clean and functional. So for those of you who are still to interview at our school, just please remember to keep an open mind and also realize that from the inside, the facilities are much better than they are from the outside!

However, the facilities are not at all the reason I chose to attend this school. It was moreso the small class size (135 in our class), the accessibility of the faculty (plus, Touro has some pretty esteemed faculty especially on the osteopathic side), and the camaraderie of all the students who attend (PharmD, PA, MPH, education included... not just the medical students). And obviously it's in the Bay Area, affiliates with core rotation sites in California, and has a history of matching students into residency programs in the state. From what I understand, Touro is leading the way out of all DO schools in terms of competitive admission stats - especially MCAT - so you know that your classmates will be very capable people indeed!

Can someone make the class of 2017 fb group. lol I dont know how to use fb. thanks

Awesome
Good luck :)
I was complete 10/25
Hoping to hear back

Medium waitlisted. A little bummed since this was my first choice school, but not surprised since my stats are somewhat mediocre and I applied pretty late.

Medium waitlisted. A little bummed since this was my first choice school, but not surprised since my stats are somewhat mediocre and I applied pretty late.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope there is movement on the waitlist for you! Did you find out via email or snail mail? When did you interview?

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope there is movement on the waitlist for you! Did you find out via email or snail mail? When did you interview?

I found out via snail mail. We had the option of finding out via e-mail, but they said if there were to be any discrepancy between the e-mail and the letter, the letter is what counts. I figured I should just wait for the letter. I interviewed on Monday, and because of the thanksgiving break we found out super quick. I think it usually takes like 3 weeks to hear back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! So happy, this was the fastest turnaround time I've experienced so far, I interviewed on Tuesday 11/27 :)
Now to decide between AZCOM and Touro before giving them all my monies in two weeks.. if anyone is or has been in the same situation I'd love to know your thoughts!

Accepted!!! So happy, this was the fastest turnaround time I've experienced so far, I interviewed on Tuesday 11/27 :)
Now to decide between AZCOM and Touro before giving them all my monies in two weeks.. if anyone is or has been in the same situation I'd love to know your thoughts!

I'd go AZCOM. Cost of living is cheaper and the facilities are WAY better. Also, it seems that clinicals at Touro Ca are a big unknown

Congratulations!!!! Did you also get an email about the acceptance? I asked to receive my decision via email, which was supposed to come on Friday, but it never arrived.

Congratulations!!!! Did you also get an email about the acceptance? I asked to receive my decision via email, which was supposed to come on Friday, but it never arrived.

I didn't request to be notified via email since I live in the Bay Area and it only takes 1 day for mail from Vallejo to reach me, so I figured I might as well wait for the "official" decision.

I bet you'll hear back soon, you were complete only about a week after me. Good luck!

I hope so
Because I have not had any interviews yet
I was just placed on hold for 2
And rejected from 1
:(

Last edited:
I'd go AZCOM. Cost of living is cheaper and the facilities are WAY better. Also, it seems that clinicals at Touro Ca are a big unknown
If location matters at all to you, Touro wins in that category. Glendale, AZ isn't the most happening place (though you are 20 min. from Phoenix), vs. the Cali Bay Area where you are within driving distance to Napa/Sonoma wine country, SF, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.

Touro also gives you an advantage if you want to do residency in California although the AZCOM 2012 match list is pretty impressive I have to admit (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=209544913025182426254.0004b7695df5160cec1ee#bmb=1)

Also if there are any specific questions about the clinical years at Touro (the "unknown"), I'd be happy to inform.

If location matters at all to you, Touro wins in that category. Glendale, AZ isn't the most happening place (though you are 20 min. from Phoenix), vs. the Cali Bay Area where you are within driving distance to Napa/Sonoma wine country, SF, Oakland, Berkeley, etc.

Touro also gives you an advantage if you want to do residency in California although the AZCOM 2012 match list is pretty impressive I have to admit (https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&msa=0&msid=209544913025182426254.0004b7695df5160cec1ee#bmb=1)

Also if there are any specific questions about the clinical years at Touro (the "unknown"), I'd be happy to inform.

I'm deciding between Touro, PNWU in Yakima WA and LECOM Erie PBL. I would love any info that you can share pattr. How likely is staying in one place for all of 3rd year? How many rotation sites do they have near Sacramento and how competitive are they? What are the most recent board pass rates for both tests? Where is the best place for a couple, no kids, to live near the Island? How flexible is the school with HPSP students doing core rotations at military hospitals rather than the sites that Touro already has set up? I know they have electives each year but I'm just curious.

If you're willing to chat more PM me. Thanks pattr.

Sorry to hear about your one rejection but you still have a good chance! What are you stats? Science GPA, Overall, and MCAT?? If you don't mind :)

I got put on the high alternate list. Sad I didn't get accepted but glad I'm still in the running. Does anyone know the chances of getting off the list?

I got put on the high alternate list. Sad I didn't get accepted but glad I'm still in the running. Does anyone know the chances of getting off the list?

Do you mind sharing your stats please?

Those placed in high literate list
When were you complete?

So incredibly excited! I received the unofficial email of acceptance from Touro CA! It is my top choice of school, an uncanny perfect fit for me in almost every way.

However, I was told the official letter was sent out on Friday-- it's Tuesday night and I haven't received anything at all by mail. I'm very anxious to put down my deposit and hold my seat, as I know there's not much time allowed to do so.

I live in Sacramento, not far from Vallejo (about an hour's drive)... should I be worried I haven't received the letter yet? How long should I wait before I call or email them? Which is more appropriate, a call or an email?

I interviewed on 11/13, and received the email 11/30.

Any suggestions, or people who interviewed around that time and have or haven't received mail?

Thank you in advance! :)

So incredibly excited! I received the unofficial email of acceptance from Touro CA! It is my top choice of school, an uncanny perfect fit for me in almost every way.

However, I was told the official letter was sent out on Friday-- it's Tuesday night and I haven't received anything at all by mail. I'm very anxious to put down my deposit and hold my seat, as I know there's not much time allowed to do so.

I live in Sacramento, not far from Vallejo (about an hour's drive)... should I be worried I haven't received the letter yet? How long should I wait before I call or email them? Which is more appropriate, a call or an email?

I interviewed on 11/13, and received the email 11/30.

Any suggestions, or people who interviewed around that time and have or haven't received mail?

Thank you in advance! :)

I interviewed after you (11/27) and received an acceptance letter in the mail on Saturday 12/1. We were told the committee was meeting on Thursday 11/29 and that letters would go out in the mail on Friday 11/30. I live about 45 minutes away from Vallejo so I got my letter in 1 day.

If you don't get anything in the mail by tomorrow, I would give them a call. We have 2 weeks from the date on the letter (which should be 11/29) to put down the deposit :)

cGPA 3.34, sGPA 3.36, MCAT 29M

My completion email was on Aug. 24th. Invite was October 12th.

Wow thats crazy man! Keep your head up though, I'm sure you'll get in somewhere! Did they tell you why they waitlisted you? Your stats are not that bad..?

I've been complete since September and every time I email they say my application is still under review :( anyone else in my same boat? I should look at the bright side and tell myself that I haven't been rejected but the wait is driving me crazy!

I've been complete since September and every time I email they say my application is still under review :( anyone else in my same boat? I should look at the bright side and tell myself that I haven't been rejected but the wait is driving me crazy!

I'm on the same exact boat as you. Complete since Sept. and when I e-mail about an update, I receive the same response. Let's keep our fingers crossed for some good news (and hopefully soon)!

I just received an interview invite here! I'm so excited! Can anyone elaborate on what to expect for the interview? I know it's a panel interview - any other info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

I just received an interview invite here! I'm so excited! Can anyone elaborate on what to expect for the interview? I know it's a panel interview - any other info would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Mine was 3 interviewers for 4-5 students. 1 Physician, 1 Faculty member, 1 Med Student (the most hardcore one)

1 hour long so you only get like 3-4 questions each.

They kind of liked us so our questions were kind of easy..they just asked us to elaborate on things from our files.

One guy in our group got hard questions but i think I it because he wrote about adversity ect in his essay and the Med Student was like what if you fail the first 2 semesters what do you do? It is kind of a hard question to answer and you have answer it in front of everyone so just be prepared to answer hard questions like that with other students in the room. The rest of us got easier questions it was just that one poor guy

I think we were lucky though cause I have seen some hard questions on the SDN interview question section. So prepare for the worst just in case and you'll feel good if it's easy.

They asked me why DO in 2 different ways, so have GOOD answers for that. I think they are really into the DO/OMM/Primary care stuff

The Dean was really into Primary Care and Touro is kind of known for that. He is kind of a serious guy he scared us at first.

Heads-up: Campus and the Mare Island area are Ugly but you are next to SF so maybe that makes up for it lol

You have to walk up and down stairs outside on this big Hill so be ready or that

Also they spend WAY TOO long talking about the MPH program when they should be talking about the DO program.. It's really annoying..It like wasting 1.5 hours.

Steven Davis is really nice so thats nice.

There are were only 10-11 students in our group. That's all I can think of for now.

Goodluck!!!

Just got offers from COMP-northwest, PNWU, and Touro-CA, and would love input from the SDN community on different perspectives on the 3 schools...atmosphere, type of course structure (Anatomy all year at Touro vs for 10 weeks at Western!), access to faculty+administration, etc...

Thanks!

I am from California, and I have been accepted here. I really want to like TUCOM, but I felt that most of my important questions went unanswered at the interview, and that I did not have adequate time to ask questions of students about the lifestyle and atmosphere. Everyone at CCOM was so enthusiastic about their school, but the students I spoke with at TUCOM were just pleasantly positive. It sounds like the rotations will not be problematic, and that they would provide me with a good clinical education, but I was unable to get a good understanding of curriculum, student life, and overall satisfaction from the students that I spoke with. Anyone on here want to advocate? Our guide told us multiple times about how amazing Anatomy is at TUCOM, and showed us the beautiful lab, but when I asked them to describe the benefit to having gross anatomy both 1st and 2nd year, they didn't have anything to say. Any opionions and advice from current students would be incredibly welcome!
Thanks so much, hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday.

I am from California, and I have been accepted here. I really want to like TUCOM, but I felt that most of my important questions went unanswered at the interview, and that I did not have adequate time to ask questions of students about the lifestyle and atmosphere. Everyone at CCOM was so enthusiastic about their school, but the students I spoke with at TUCOM were just pleasantly positive. It sounds like the rotations will not be problematic, and that they would provide me with a good clinical education, but I was unable to get a good understanding of curriculum, student life, and overall satisfaction from the students that I spoke with. Anyone on here want to advocate? Our guide told us multiple times about how amazing Anatomy is at TUCOM, and showed us the beautiful lab, but when I asked them to describe the benefit to having gross anatomy both 1st and 2nd year, they didn't have anything to say. Any opionions and advice from current students would be incredibly welcome!
Thanks so much, hope everyone is having a wonderful holiday.
the curriculum at tucom is systems based meaning anatomy is throughout first and second year. So when you're studying renal physio and path you will also be dissecting the kidneys at the same time... vs. cramming all of anatomy at the beginning of first year. The advantage is anatomy is always integrated and relevant and it makes board prep for anatomy easier.

Hey guys,

if you've been accepted and will be attending TUCA-COM, here's the FB group. Love to have you guys so we can all get started to know each other and maybe kick it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/391693367581056/

For those of you still going through the process, good luck! Feel free to message me if you need advice!

For those of you who were accepted, what was your respective science GPA, cumulative GPA, and MCAT?

Thank you

Anyone know Whats the breakdown for Instate vs. Out of state for TUCOM-CA?

Has anyone received any interviews lately?? This thread has been pretty quiet!

i did last month before the holidays. hope youve got good news!

3.48 cum. 3.6 sci. 32 MCAT. Going elsewhere however.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SDN Mobile

Did anyone who interviewed in the past 2 weeks get the email today yet?

Just wanted to let you all know that TUCOM is hosting a conference for pre-meds on February 17, 2013. You can find more information at our Admissions website [http://admissions.tu.edu/com/SOMAconf.html]. You must register online to attend this event.

Check-in will be 7:30-8:45AM and the conference will run approximately 9AM-5PM. Representatives from other osteopathic schools will be present, and we are also working on getting vendors and other useful companies to send representatives to be present at lunch.

If you have any questions, email [email protected].

Courtney, OMS II
Touro University, College of Osteopathic Medicine
SOMA - Pre-SOMA Chair

I noticed a mention of drug-testing on the letter touro mailed. Do we arrange this pre-matriculation or does it happen randomly throughout M1/M2?