Touro California vs Nova (DO)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FloridaForever

the cat
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Of note, I have not yet visited Touro University. I was recently offered an interview at Touro- California and am deciding if I should fly across country to attend. I am approaching this decision as if if I was accepted- would I go to Touro over Nova?

Nova
Pros:
  • I like Fort Lauderdale area
  • Newer campus- nice library and other areas
  • I liked the campus atmosphere and students
  • An easier move to make
  • Stronger rotations
Cons:
  • Board scores (and match list?)
    • I've heard the curriculum does not prepare you well for boards- you study on your own
  • I've heard negative things about administration
Touro- California
This is hard for to list pros and cons because I haven't been yet. Any insight is appreciated.

Pros:
  • Somewhere new in a state I potentially would want to live in long term- match and practice in California
  • Possibly better board preparation??
Cons:
  • Harder move
  • Older campus in a possibly more secluded area
  • Lower quality rotation sites

-Both schools have about the same tuition -$55,000 and cost of living

I have been accepted into Nova Southeastern University (DO program) since October and subsequently have really had my mind set that I would be going there. I was excited to get in and really liked the feel of the campus. I'm from Florida and while I don't necessarily care to be close to home, I do just like the area of south Florida.

On the other hand, if there is one state I would like to move to besides Florida, it would be California. I have never been to northern California or San Francisco area, so I really don't know if I would like it like southern Cal. The town of Vallejo and the Touro campus also appears to be older which isn't as appealing to me. But close surrounding areas and nature looks beautiful. If anyone can provide more insight on the school of Touro itself that would be wonderful.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey another Floridian, very nice! The only negative thing I had heard about Nova was their lower COMLEX score trend over the past few years, but I'm sure you have plenty of information on everything. Not only that, your performance will also have to do with you as an individual. However, it may be more advantageous to attend a main campus medical school rather than a branch if you have the choice, and also based on what you've listed. So I would vote for Nova in this case! Also, would you rather be closer to family (this is a big factor for some people)?

Either way, congratulations on both acceptances! @FloridaForever

Last edited:
I think that you should at least go on the interview. It's a small price to pay in the long run, and if not you still have Nova in your back pocket. It will take out any "what if's" down the road