Touro California Vs Touro Nevada

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boxasaurus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know too much about Touro California except that more students match into California Residencies and that they have tests every 2 weeks. TUCOM's about 6-7 hours away from family, but I have friends in the area.

I like Touro Nevada because of the "honors" research and rotation track that they offer, but they have tests on a monthly basis. TUNCOM's about 3-4 hours away from family and I have no friends there from college. However, the new dean at TUNCOM, Dean Dougherty, was pretty charismatic and I liked his view for the upcoming classes.

I was more meh about TUCOM's school, but I like the faculty members at both TUNCOM and TUCOM. Tuition isn't too different.

In the end I'm trying to get into a residency program in Southern California.

Members don't see this ad.

Look at the incoming MCATs of both schools there is a reason why touro Cali is more sought after, and it's not because of location.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. I stand corrected. Still feel like California is the better school esp if you want to match in California.
Absolutely. However if I wasn't attached to California I would highly consider TUNCOM. Seems like they teach more towards the boards and you'll be able to get a better residency. I felt the biggest negative was the campus. TUCOM's campus is much nicer.

Thanks. I stand corrected. Still feel like California is the better school esp if you want to match in California.

Actually I know people at both schools and the ones at TUCOM hate it, and MCAT is high simply because it is California.

OP I say Nevada. They match plenty of people into California programs, and I think they are the better school.

Reactions: 1 user
You should take into account that UNLV is hosting it's first class and roseman has their MD school on the way too and how that might affect rotation sites. TouroCA is also pushing for higher board scores as well.

Also if you use the library, touro ca has much better hours

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You should take into account that UNLV is hosting it's first class and roseman has their MD school on the way too and how that might affect rotation sites. TouroCA is also pushing for higher board scores as well.

Also if you use the library, touro ca has much better hours

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Touro NV won't have their rotations affected by UNLV because UNLV has a small class and they will rotate at the medical center, where Touro students don't rotate. Roseman could potentially be an issue but they have had significant troubles getting LCME accreditation.

Touro NV won't have their rotations affected by UNLV because UNLV has a small class and they will rotate at the medical center, where Touro students don't rotate. Roseman could potentially be an issue but they have had significant troubles getting LCME accreditation.

Good point, although I would still argue that TouroCA has stronger rotation sites with a greater number of ward based rotations 3rd year.