touro college of pharmacy New York C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well, the answer will vary from person to person, but I decided to do bachelors in bio in late 20s because I was satisfied with being a certified pharm tech until I realized my potential and hardwork were worth more. ******Does anyone have an interview in April????*****

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the answer will vary from person to person, but I decided to do bachelors in bio in late 20s because I was satisfied with being a certified pharm tech until I realized my potential and hardwork were worth more. ******Does anyone have an interview in April????*****

Are you waiting for an interview too? Same here. How long have you submitted your application.?

How do you guys have so many years of experience? Did you guys not apply right after obtaining your Bachelor's?

The reason why I have so much experience is because I started working at a pharmacy when I was 16 and decided afterwards that I wanted to become a pharmacist. It's also because I was denied when I first applied to a non-bachelor pharmacy school, so I kept working through all the prerequisites and earned my bachelors in the meantime and gained more experience on the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview is on April 17 (OMG!). My supplement was mailed out on 2/28/13 and I got the email on March 22. Check your email regularly because the email states to respond within 2 days. When did you submit your supplement application?

I am as well. I got an email March 4 saying my prereqs are basically good/in progress. I haven't heard anything since. :/ Would it be worth calling them to ask about it?

My interview is on April 17 (OMG!). My supplement was mailed out on 2/28/13 and I got the email on March 22. Check your email regularly because the email states to respond within 2 days. When did you submit your supplement application?

I turned it in end of Jan. I got email saying all my pre-reqs were satisfied on Feb 15. And, it was silence since then !!! I think your interview is the last one since they only offer interview until mid April.

How do you guys have so many years of experience? Did you guys not apply right after obtaining your Bachelor's?
In my case, I started working in my undergrad laboratory for 3 years before I graduated. Since I enjoyed research very much, I got a full time job in academic research after graduation for 5 years and then started working for a pharmaceutical company for 7 years. The time has come to continue my graduate studies. One of my biggest inspiration is my husband. He is a doctor of Pharmacy and it is amazing what one can do with a PharmD. I got accepted after being on the reserve pool for nearly 9 month. I cannot wait to start.

MzMZMZ........its high time that you call or email and find out what's going on! I hope and pray that you will get an interview too. Have you applied in any other schools?

idiotchosen....I think you are next in line for interview, but there is no harm in contacting the school if you are so eager to know. good luck!

In my case, I started working in my undergrad laboratory for 3 years before I graduated. Since I enjoyed research very much, I got a full time job in academic research after graduation for 5 years and then started working for a pharmaceutical company for 7 years. The time has come to continue my graduate studies. One of my biggest inspiration is my husband. He is a doctor of Pharmacy and it is amazing what one can do with a PharmD. I got accepted after being on the reserve pool for nearly 9 month. I cannot wait to start.

when was you put on reserve pool

I was placed on the reserve pool in October 2011, got accepted July 2012 but deferred for one year for special circumstances. I will be starting August 2013 (class of 2017):D

Hello there,

I see that you got accepted to Touro for class of 2016 but you had to defer. How did you ask them about the deferment and were they ok with the request? I plan to apply to Touro for class of 2018 but have to ask for deferment if accepted as well. Just want to ask you how you went about the request so that they will approve. Thank you in advance.

Hello there,

I see that you got accepted to Touro for class of 2016 but you had to defer. How did you ask them about the deferment and were they ok with the request? I plan to apply to Touro for class of 2018 but have to ask for deferment if accepted as well. Just want to ask you how you went about the request so that they will approve. Thank you in advance.
requests for deferment are granted on a case by case basis for special circumstances such as sickness, delivery of newborn, death in the family....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. Well I am now a bit concerned about the program.

The cost is probably in the top 2% for the most expensive pharmacy schools in the nation. And thats not even including cost of living.

To top it off they have one of the lowest passing rates in the Nation for the NAPLEX. ****Red Alert

Im worried now

http://www.nabp.net/system/redactor_assets/documents/322/NAPLEX_school_website_data_2012.pdf

More and more im beginning to think this is one of those money school people talk about

More and more im beginning to think this is one of those money school people talk about

They only have one graduating class so far, that of 2012. Isn't it unfair to judge the school based on the pass rate of only one class, least of all the very first class? I'm sure they will improve and have improved so far. It's the determination and studying of the students that determine pass rates and the first class of a pharmacy school is always tough. I met some very intelligent people both students and professors when I went there and I'm sure we will see better passing rates as time goes since they have been establishing curriculum, professors, clinical rotation sites, etc. As for pricing, it may just be a NY thing. Out of the 6 pharmacy schools in NY only one is significantly cheaper because it's a state-funded school.

Touro NY is ~37,000 per year
LIU is ~37,000 per year
St. John's is ~40,000 per year
Albany is ~35,000 per year
D'youville is ~35,000 per year
SUNY Buffalo is ~12,000 per year

This isn't including any type of living expenses, just straight tuition, and I also rounded so it may be up or down by a few thousand but they are all in that 30-40 thousand dollar ball park.

All I'm saying is not to make assumptions just yet. I chose this school because it looks promising to me and I know we can do it! (And it's too late because I declined all other offers! :p So I am going to stay positive! lol)

They only have one graduating class so far, that of 2012. Isn't it unfair to judge the school based on the pass rate of only one class, least of all the very first class? I'm sure they will improve and have improved so far. It's the determination and studying of the students that determine pass rates and the first class of a pharmacy school is always tough. I met some very intelligent people both students and professors when I went there and I'm sure we will see better passing rates as time goes since they have been establishing curriculum, professors, clinical rotation sites, etc. As for pricing, it may just be a NY thing. Out of the 6 pharmacy schools in NY only one is significantly cheaper because it's a state-funded school.

Touro NY is ~37,000 per year
LIU is ~37,000 per year
St. John's is ~40,000 per year
Albany is ~35,000 per year
D'youville is ~35,000 per year
SUNY Buffalo is ~12,000 per year

This isn't including any type of living expenses, just straight tuition, and I also rounded so it may be up or down by a few thousand but they are all in that 30-40 thousand dollar ball park.

All I'm saying is not to make assumptions just yet. I chose this school because it looks promising to me and I know we can do it! (And it's too late because I declined all other offers! :p So I am going to stay positive! lol)

LIU is 38,000 lol. But your cost of living is higher. All st John students have scholarships so most only pay 70000 by the time they graduate.

Also LIU has scholarships, most of the pre pharm here have that. When I came into the college as a transfer I also got a scholarship. I think the education is about the same, but you guys have 2 years rotation. Like I said, same, however your cost is definitely above LIU. I had several friends who got accepted to your college and LIU, and found it cheaper to go to LIU for housing and scholarship.

Last edited:
LIU is 38,000 lol. But your cost of living is higher. All st John students have scholarships so most only pay 70000 by the time they graduate.

Also LIU has scholarships, most of the pre pharm here have that. When I came into the college as a transfer I also got a scholarship. I think the education is about the same, but you guys have 2 years rotation. Like I said, same, however your cost is definitely above LIU. I had several friends who got accepted to your college and LIU, and found it cheaper to go to LIU for housing and scholarship.

Very true, I did not consider scholarships. Well, hopefully, Touro will start offering them soon. I am starting as a P1 in the fall and would love to have the oppotunity to apply to a scholarship. Yes, it's the same curriculum as LIU except that we have 2 years rotations whereas LIU has 1 year I think. BTW, I am a current student at LIU but declined the interview offer at LIU's program. It's because I had already put my $1,000 dollars down on Touro but now that I think about it I feel I should have interviewd in order to keep my options open, but now I am officially a Touro student and will make the best of it. I'm sure they will gain esteem and accomplishment as time goes on. I don't think we have to necessarily worry. Especially since when we graduate there will be 5 graduated classes ahead of us, so they will adjust curiculum over time to ensure better passing rates on the exam.

Very true, I did not consider scholarships. Well, hopefully, Touro will start offering them soon. I am starting as a P1 in the fall and would love to have the oppotunity to apply to a scholarship. Yes, it's the same curriculum as LIU except that we have 2 years rotations whereas LIU has 1 year I think. BTW, I am a current student at LIU but declined the interview offer at LIU's program. It's because I had already put my $1,000 dollars down on Touro but now that I think about it I feel I should have interviewd in order to keep my options open, but now I am officially a Touro student and will make the best of it. I'm sure they will gain esteem and accomplishment as time goes on. I don't think we have to necessarily worry. Especially since when we graduate there will be 5 graduated classes ahead of us, so they will adjust curiculum over time to ensure better passing rates on the exam.

Lol I think you would had gotten a scholarship here in LIU. In fact for many transfers, all of us gets a scholarship. I know a LIU transfer from the program in chem got a full ride for the 38000 tuition he has to pay, and only pays less than 3000 a semester in loans. But, a change of place would be good also :). I'm sure you hear a lot of the program here haha. I think touro is still a good choice, just too expensive.

Lol I think you would had gotten a scholarship here in LIU. In fact for many transfers, all of us gets a scholarship. I know a LIU transfer from the program in chem got a full ride for the 38000 tuition he has to pay, and only pays less than 3000 a semester in loans. But, a change of place would be good also :). I'm sure you hear a lot of the program here haha. I think touro is still a good choice, just too expensive.

Wow, that's a great scholarship, he is so lucky! I came as a visiting student for the fall and transfered to a matriculated student for this spring semester. They gave me a $7,500 scholarship but told me I could only use half of it since I transfered into the spring semster and not the fall semester. So technically they gave me $3,750 which is ok lol. It would've been nice to get the whole $7,500 I was awarded though :/ Oh well.

I don't know I sort of just fell in love with the atmosphere in Touro. Everyone was so friendly and supportive. The building, classrooms, and labs looked really brand new and state-of-the-art and I was just drawn to it. Despite the bill I'm going to be left with, I think it's going to be great and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that there will be scholarships available soon!

Wow, that's a great scholarship, he is so lucky! I came as a visiting student for the fall and transfered to a matriculated student for this spring semester. They gave me a $7,500 scholarship but told me I could only use half of it since I transfered into the spring semster and not the fall semester. So technically they gave me $3,750 which is ok lol. It would've been nice to get the whole $7,500 I was awarded though :/ Oh well.

I don't know I sort of just fell in love with the atmosphere in Touro. Everyone was so friendly and supportive. The building, classrooms, and labs looked really brand new and state-of-the-art and I was just drawn to it. Despite the bill I'm going to be left with, I think it's going to be great and I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that there will be scholarships available soon!

I agree, I feel in love with the atmosphere at Touro too! Touro was literally my number once choice school because of so many reasons, and i honestly didn't think i would get in.. but I got my acceptance today!!! so excited!!!! The expensive bill after graduation will be worth it, because you can say that you received a pharmacy education while living in NYC!!! that's an experience you cannot replace.

I hope to see all the Touro class of 2017 soon!! :)

Well I'm still waiting... I called after the got back from spring break and my application is still eligible at least. They mentioned usually giving 1-2 weeks notice before the actual interview date, so there's still hope at least. This is the school I most want to go to also, so hopefully I hear back!

Looking for new roomies at Upper West Side APT.
Located 97th & Columbus ave.
***Must be able to have a cosigner for new lease***

4 bedrooms total
2 bedrooms available for rent
*one room has ez access to balcony
1 shared full bathroom
Spacious living room area
Separate kitchen area

3 elevators in building
24 hr doorman
Laundry located in the building

Subway train nearby: 1, 2, 3, B, C
1 express stop to TRADER JOES
2 express stops to TIMES SQUARE
1 train to take to CHINATOWN
15 min ride to TOURO COLLEGE of PHARMACY

Whole Foods literally around the corner of apt building
EZ access to grab a cab at any hour of the day
Crosstown bus to the EAST SIDE is ONE BLOCK AWAY
Post Office is 2 blocks away
CENTRAL PARK and the HUDSON RIVER are about 2-4 blocks away from apt
*great for biking / running / picnic spots (esp in the spring / summer time)

Local bars nearby (81st and Amsterdam)
*can take a bus / train / walk back to apt after a night out

***BONUS***
The Upper West Side area was not affected during the hurricane or blizzard
No flooding or blackout during the big storm
Very safe area

Does anyone know when's the latest we will receive interview invitations? I'm still eligible, but I haven't heard back!

I agree, I feel in love with the atmosphere at Touro too! Touro was literally my number once choice school because of so many reasons, and i honestly didn't think i would get in.. but I got my acceptance today!!! so excited!!!! The expensive bill after graduation will be worth it, because you can say that you received a pharmacy education while living in NYC!!! that's an experience you cannot replace.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Hi Startupkid,
I don't think that stats and numbers are a good representation of a candidate. haha it's because my stats are low. I went to community college and did not know how to study well. But when i transfered to a university and moved away from my hometown, my grades inclined significantly. needless to say, my gpa is on the abnormally low side, a little below 3.0, with a degree in Biochemistry from a Cal state.

But I think it was my awesome 4 letters of ref., list of max 20 extracurricular activities listed in PharmCAS: 3+yrs in a local pharmacy, 2yrs in an organic research lab, non-profit mexico medical clinic missions as the pharmacy coordinator, and many other leadership roles. Also, I AM VERY passionate in the career of pharmacy and i make it known to anyone who asks me =)

Touro NY was my top pick school because it's specialty in Public Health, which i made very clear at my interview. Also, 2 YRS OF RESIDENCIES!!! lol :love:

Good luck!! :)

***Must be able to have a cosigner for new lease***

4 bedrooms total
2 bedrooms available for rent
1 shared full bathroom
Separate kitchen area

3 elevators in building
24 hr doorman

***BONUS***
Very safe area

Hi there 1LuckyFilipina!
I am very interested in your apartment offer! I will also be moving from CA to NY =) I have been searching for places in the upper east/west side with the help of many friends currently living in the upper east side and attending Touro. I love everything in the apartment description, please let me know how I can find out more info about the other roommates and the apartment.
I would be more than happy tell you more about myself if you'd like to email me at [email protected] OR find me on facebook via the Touro NY Class of 2017 link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/117760981728442/?ref=notif&notif_t=group_r2j_approved

Thank you and take care :)

Hey, current p2 over here. My current apartment lease will be up sep 1. So looking for potential roommates. Shoot me up a message if you are interested. Thanks!

What's the living situation for those of you who are currently attending Touro? Do you guys rent like a room in Harlem, or do you guys go to like a nicer neighborhood? Also, what are the approximate costs for rent/utilities?

So I have good news for those people that are on the waitlist. I gave up my seat for the Class of 2017. I will not be attending Touro for many reasons. Good luck to all of you. Wishing you nothing but success.

Congratulations!! See you in August for orientation and start of term! :)

I was accepted too, have you mailed your deposited ? I never got the second email on how to mail it tho

Were you invited for the interview? If yes, were you accepted, and your stats, please, GPA?

Can you, please, share if you were invited and accepted to Touro, and then, your GPA?

Were you accepted?

If you take some time and look through the 9 pages you will see a lot of people that posted their stats who were accepted/interviewed. Many people already posted their stats and do not want to repeatedly post them. They're already there, just look through the pages.

Got an interview date for the 24th of April. Anyone else have an interview that day?

I received an interview invite as well :D

EDIT: Can someone tell me how long the interview day lasts? Mine starts at 1145am. I need to book my flight. Thanks.

Last edited:
Well then good luck to you guys. It looks like I'm not getting an invite then.

idiotchosen.....if it makes you feel better, I had an interview yesterday and they said that most of the seats are already full!!!! So, the real unfortunate ones are those who had to pay for this trip and will be rejected flat out! and yes I might be one of them....We will find out on May 10th by noon, not before that!!!

Nomad 339.....about 4 hours, not more than that and ours ended within 4 hours. Good luck!

idiotchosen.....if it makes you feel better, I had an interview yesterday and they said that most of the seats are already full!!!! So, the real unfortunate ones are those who had to pay for this trip and will be rejected flat out! and yes I might be one of them....We will find out on May 10th by noon, not before that!!!

Nomad 339.....about 4 hours, not more than that and ours ended within 4 hours. Good luck!

Don't lose hope, 10zing! Some people will be giving up their seats as it gets closer to May and hopefully will open for some of you! :)

@Nomad, the interview lasts about 4 hours but don't forget to consider the travel time to get from Harlem/hotel/ect. to the airport, as well as checkin/security. Good luck!

____fb message me if interested....look for me on the touro c/o 2017 fb page____

***Must be able to have a cosigner for new lease who makes 40x the rent...rent will be about $4500-$4700 will know by june/july***

4 bedrooms total
*** one roomie is a male, who will also be a P4 touro student***
2 bedrooms available for rent (each room will be about $1100 depending on rent increase with new lease)
****Rooms are available as early as June and as late as mid-August****
1 shared full bathroom
Separate kitchen area

3 elevators in building
24 hr doorman

***BONUS***
Very safe area

Don't lose hope, 10zing! Some people will be giving up their seats as it gets closer to May and hopefully will open for some of you! :)

@Nomad, the interview lasts about 4 hours but don't forget to consider the travel time to get from Harlem/hotel/ect. to the airport, as well as checkin/security. Good luck!

Thank you for the good luck guys! I know it is really late in the process but I am hopeful to secure a seat. I am not sure if I was supposed to receive a "welcome packet" from admissions covering the logistics of the interview, but can you recommend any hotels?

Good luck to those waiting. Congrats to those accepted.

Last edited: