Touro College Of Pharmacy NY c/o 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CNPharmD

Pharmacy Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
CONGRATULATIONS to the inaugural class of 2012!!!!! :) Lets make this our official class forum. Now , that we're in, what are you guys doing for roommate situations, housing , transportation etc. Are you guys inviting your families for the white coat ceremony?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone at all?! lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm looking forward to everything.....Yay

Same here!

Congrats to everyone who got in! I hope everyone enjoys the rest of your summer. I'm hoping on getting to NYC a little early and getting to explore the city a little bit. I try to be out there on the 14th so if anyone wants to meet up... feel free to send me a PM.

Currently I'm looking for apt in the general area. I don't really mind getting a 3-4 bedroom apt. I guess my only pet peeve is to keep the common places clean... clean living room, dishes washed after you eat, and etc. The rest will be common sense.

I already purchased my flight to LGA for Sunday the 14th. I will be staying w/a friend until my potential roommates and I finally settle down into an apt. I will be super excited once this is all figured out, but until then I am stressed! :scared:

congrats everyone!!! also excited but stressed.....living arrangements!!! let me know!! i'll also keep on searching

hey!! congrats!!!! how far with living arrangements...so far nothing for me but ill keep on searching! let me know

Congrats to everyone:)!!!!...I guess were all in the same boat finding housing is going to be tough...I'm having a hard time because it's so expensive:(!

Congrats everyone, again! I got accepted also. See you guys on Sept. 22!:)
I am also looking for housing especially since I am coming from NC!

Financial aid information was sent via email today.

Congratulation to everyone who got accepted into the class of 2012, can't wait to meet all of you!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
by the way, my family will be attending the white coat ceremony, i'm not sure how many ppl. we can bring, but my friends want to attend too.

I am really excited to be part of Class of 2012. All come early and enjoy few days in NYC.....maybe all can hang up before the orientation actually begins.......really looking forward to meet you all guys......:hardy:

I found a place to live . So I'm putting down some current contacts that I had,for those of you that are still looking for places to live:

140th Street at Frederick Douglass
646 912 1585
550.00 per unfurnished room . 2 roommates needed

624 West 207th Street
[email protected]
3 bdrm apt. no crd chk or fees
1495/mo

709 Saint Ouen St, Bronx, NY 10470
off E 241 st and Bronx river pkwy
939-579-2029
1500.00/Mo 3bdrm/3bath w/ 2 car garage no crchk

2054 Madison Avenue at 129th
550.00/Mo
roommate situation(share)

37 Seabury Court
bedroom / 2 fullbath W/ GARAGE
Masterbedroom with masterbath and 2 walk-in closets
Reina at 646-407-0918
1600/mo

2 bdrm/2bath
187 at Cabrini Blvd.
646-675-2549

W 190th St
New York, NY 10040
3 private rooms, kitchen, bathroom and a living room.2 females currently & looking for 1 more.The room is furnished, queen bed..2 dressers,mirror, and closet
call Jocey 9174050437

Websites:
www.rapidnyc.com
www.zerofeesnyc.com
www.craigslist.org
www.apartments.com
www.rdny.com

Hope this helps a few of you guys!!!

Lonk for Facebook group page for Touro College of Pharmacy 2012':
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=27642367615

Pharmacy Class Thread on StudentDoctor.net:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=561656

Is there any type of dress code for Orientation? White Coat ceremony?

Is there any type of dress code for Orientation? White Coat ceremony?

I was wondering the same thing. I think casual like jeans are out of the question, right? Dress code shld be professional I believe. Any suggestions, anyone?

Does anyone know about the accreditation process and whether it will affect our ability to get licensed (if the school doesn't get accredited right after we graduate)?

This information can be found on:

http://www.acpe-accredit.org

Candidate Status- A new program that has students enrolled but has not had a graduating class may be granted Candidate status. The granting of Candidate status denotes a developmental program, which is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Reasonable assurances are expected to be provided that the program may become accredited as programmatic experiences are gained, generally, by the time the first class has graduated. Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate status have the same rights and privileges as graduates of an accredited program.

So, it means as you long as you graduate fromthe program,you're fine. Just pass your boards!!!

If you did not do your health assessement yet and your are already here in New York you can schedule and appointment with the Touro Clinic by calling (212)-410-8484. There is a 10 $ fee. You need to mention that your are a Pharmacy student at Touro College of Pharmacy and you are being generated for enrollment.

I was wondering the same thing. I think casual like jeans are out of the question, right? Dress code shld be professional I believe. Any suggestions, anyone?

It's going to be business casual for the orientation and I guess business for the white coat ceremony.

But I really can't see them expecting us to wear business casual for classes.

Well, I hope khaki material pants and a polo or a button up is sufficient for class because I can't stand to be uncomfortable while sitting in class. Scrubs would be nice, then it'd be like wearing PJ's to class :)

Hey guys I wanted to know how your classes are going and what the atmosphere is like in touro? I'm thinking of applying to touro but since its a new school, there's not much talk going around. Can you guys fill me in on some specs about the school? like how many kids are in your class and whether the teachers are good? are the labs good, if any? What's the average gpa and pcat scores to get in? there's not much info about this so if someone can tell me that would be greatly appreciated. By the way, good luck to all the current students!!! :)

Hi everyone, I have applied to the college of pharmacy at Touro NY for Fall 2009, and it is my first choice! Im anxiously waiting for an invite to an interview! Is there any advice you guys can give me and other applicants as far as interviews go? Also, what is life at Touro NY like? I really really want to go to school there!

Thank you!

Hi everyone, I have applied to the college of pharmacy at Touro NY for Fall 2009, and it is my first choice! Im anxiously waiting for an invite to an interview! Is there any advice you guys can give me and other applicants as far as interviews go? Also, what is life at Touro NY like? I really really want to go to school there!

Thank you!

They are probaly going to ask you a lot of questions about public health and the role of a pharmacist. You will also probaly have to do a group activity.

As mention in other threads, the classes here try to have blended learning scheme: From dialectic lectures, to book reading, to lots of group projects, and to several online components. A lot of this is done to help a vast variety of different learners pick up the subjects more easily. However, the big down side right now is that there are still a lot of kinks in their method. A lot of new ideas still being toss around and the faulty is still trying to sort out what works and what doesn't.

The school itself is planned to house a little over 100 students per class. The faulty seem to be genuinely concerned about the student. And furthermore care about the advancement of pharmacy profession and advocacy of public health among pharmacist. The professors are basically the same types you could find in your regular average-joe-university (many are picked up from other pharmacy and medical schools). All that matters is that they know their material right? We just started labs this 2nd semester but for next year class, it will begin in your 1st semester. (So far, its the basic curriculum you would find at other schools.)

As for student life itself. Graduate school can be a lot like high school sometimes. You hear this from all the pharmacy school, so its nothing new. One aspect that is unique is that this is a commuter school, so you can make any judgment that is typically associated with that statement. Many of the students are from local area. As for ASB or other student clubs, you can be as involved as you like (as long as your grades are okay).

Its also hard to judge our current class since each student was chosen by a case by case basis. The averages and scores would be very shrewd and perhaps portray an inaccurate image of what type of student the college would like to admit.

The best advice is keep in mind that this is still a new school. Classroom and labs are continuously being built and changed according to the needs of the students. Also, be willing to work along with the faulty and admin and stay patient as they try to put together lectures and structure the classes.

At the interview, just be open about yourself, have examples for your claims (I was class president -> I did so.. and so.. -> and I learn how to...), thoroughly research public health and the pharmacy profession. You can also go as far as have mock interviews at your university, research questions online (studentdoctor is a wonderful resource), and practice answer in front of a mirror and peers. Leave, the rest is up to your personality!

Good luck to all those that applied! :D

Thank you so much for all that information. I just found out today, that I have an interview next week. Touro NY is my first choice, so I am over the moon to be invited for an interview.

Thank you again, that information is going to be really really helpful...:):xf:

I interviewed on Tuesday march 3rd, for the class of 2013. Just wanted to say thank you to the students who were there to show us around and answer questions. The information they gave us was really helpful, and they were very approachable.

Thank you again, and hopefully i'll see you around if i get accepted! the wait begins all over again...:):xf::xf:

I have an interview on March 18th. Wish me luck! Thank you for posting interview advice.

To be competitive, You want to be at least in the 60s and above composite score.

My opinion is you should retake if the composite is lower than 50.

To be competitive, You want to be at least in the 60s and above composite score.

My opinion is you should retake if the composite is lower than 50.

I did manage to get above a 50 composite...The only problem is that I'm pretty sure the applications are due before I'd have a chance to retake....arrg.

Thanks for the input!

You should be able to take it in October. Unless it's too late to register now.

Yeah, I got my lame scores back on the last day to register for the October test, and by the time I actually had time to process everything and consider retaking, it was 10 o'clock that night and the cutoff time was 8:59... :thumbdown:

Ok, well I figured since I shared my whole spiel about worrying if I had a chance w/Touro, I thought I'd update to say that I was accepted into the Class of 2014 :D:D:D

So for the students who are worried: if Touro is your first choice you should at least give it a shot! I didn't have the best PCAT score, but I made up for it in other areas. So I think it'd be safe to say that as long as your application is solid overall you have a good chance of being offered an interview. And after that, it's all up to you to rock the interview :cool:

Hope this helps someone :)

For current Touro students:

Are you happy with your decision to attend Touro NY? I am planning to move cross country if I attend there and want to know your opinion on the social aspect of school. There was a mention that Touro is mainly a commuter school, does this mean that there isn't much socializing outside of class?