Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there been any II since the new year?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I will be withdrawing from my interview. I hope one of you get it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I interviewed at Harlem in early December and was recently waitlisted. I was wondering if many people have been accepted or know how the waitlist works/is ranked at this school? It seems like the majority of people accepted in this forum were accepted at Middletown. Thanks for any input!

I interviewed 11/28 and got an acceptance this morning. No idea about the waitlist though. I heard that a large number of people on the waitlist end up getting accepted in the spring. Keep an eye on your email.

ACCEPTED TO TOURO HARLEM TODAY!
Complete 11/9, Interviewed 12/7, LizzyM 64

Can't wait to join and meet all those who were accepted! For those of you waiting still- wishing for the best for you too!

Does anyone have insight on the Summer Anatomy course? Is it worth taking?

Reactions: 2 users

Can't wait to join and meet all those who were accepted! For those of you waiting still- wishing for the best for you too!

Taking *A* medical school anatomy course is something I would STRONGLY recommend. Taking it at Touro is as good as any, and may be more helpful than others because it's the same material.

As an OMS1, there's a real difference between the performance of the students who have and have not taken anatomy before. Anatomy is not hard but it is a lot of work, and it can be very "foreign" to new students.

Taking *A* medical school anatomy course is something I would STRONGLY recommend. Taking it at Touro is as good as any, and may be more helpful than others because it's the same material.

As an OMS1, there's a real difference between the performance of the students who have and have not taken anatomy before. Anatomy is not hard but it is a lot of work, and it can be very "foreign" to new students.

I've been debating whether to take this. It's really worth it? Good to know.

Any Middletown folks planning on living off-campus? I'm looking for housing buddies.

The only deadline we have is for the second deposit in May, correct?

The only deadline we have is for the second deposit in May, correct?

I talked to registration about this: The second deposit is due May 15th. They will register you for classes after you pay this. But, they can't register you until you send in your health forms, including your insurance card, so you should probably have that done too.

Members don't see this ad :)

Congrats! We are gonna be in the same class! Do you know if there is a Harlem student housing face book group?

Is anyone here familiar with the one year masters program through Touro that can get students a spot in the DO school the following year?

Hi All. For those accepted to Touro-Middletown did you receive an email after you paid your deposit and submitted the form back to admissions? I put down my deposit yesterday but didn't receive any confirmation email, but luckily I screenshotted it.

Hi All. For those accepted to Touro-Middletown did you receive an email after you paid your deposit and submitted the form back to admissions? I put down my deposit yesterday but didn't receive any confirmation email, but luckily I screenshotted it.
Took about a week to receive confirmation.

Just got an II from Middletown. Most likely only want to attend TouroNY if it is the Harlem campus. If I cancel my Middletown interview will that have an impact on receiving a Harlem II? Do most people receive interviews at both places?

How long does it take for the Harlem campus to get back with a decision post-interview?

Is anyone here familiar with the one year masters program through Touro that can get students a spot in the DO school the following year?

My friends got into touro's DO school through the masters program. I can probably answer any question for you or get you in contact with one of my friends.

Yes i did recieve a confirmation but it took a week for the confirmation email.

Hi All,

I have an interview coming up at the end of the month at Middletown. I've been going through the forum and it seems that most people have had a conversational interview and the questions were focused on their application. Does that hold true for others that have had an interview at Middletown as well? Has anyone been asked ethical/scenario type questions also? Just trying to get a good grasp about what else I should be preparing for. Thanks!

Hi All,

I have an interview coming up at the end of the month at Middletown. I've been going through the forum and it seems that most people have had a conversational interview and the questions were focused on their application. Does that hold true for others that have had an interview at Middletown as well? Has anyone been asked ethical/scenario type questions also? Just trying to get a good grasp about what else I should be preparing for. Thanks!

It's as traditional as it gets. Know your app, practice a lot, and have good convincing answers for the important questions, why medicine, why DO, why Touro.

I'm procrastinating studying for our anatomy exam tomorrow. You'll do fine at the interview. Know your application, and if there are any red flags in your history be prepared to explain. I don't think I've heard of them asking any weird ethical questions, but if they ask about cheating, obviously tell them that you'd turn in a classmate who you know to be cheating or something like that.

I'm procrastinating studying for our anatomy exam tomorrow. You'll do fine at the interview. Know your application, and if there are any red flags in your history be prepared to explain. I don't think I've heard of them asking any weird ethical questions, but if they ask about cheating, obviously tell them that you'd turn in a classmate who you know to be cheating or something like that.

Make sure to add that you'd never, EVER click in for a classmate who wanted to sleep through ethics.

So when is the best time to do housing? Do current students typically pass it off to incoming students?

So when is the best time to do housing? Do current students typically pass it off to incoming students?

Sometimes older classes have places they pass along to new students, but for the most part you're on your own. For us, and I assume the same for your class, they'll set up a private facebook group for you all and people usually find roommates on there.

As for NY housing, it's more or less the same as every other city. Start casually looking for places about 3 months before you want to move, and at about 2 months start visiting/checking out apartments. Since it's NYC if you're not looking to sign a lease within the month or so, most brokers aren't really going to talk to you.

I got an email saying the interview process is anticipated to end in May. This means we still have hope!

How long does it take for the Harlem campus to get back with a decision post-interview?

It took Touro Harlem almost the full 2 months to get back to me with a decision (yay, accepted!). I had pretty much given up on an acceptance at that point because it took so long. But, surprise!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi All,

Most of my interview at middletown was from my application. They did ask two ethical questions, but they were very interesting and based on my application and current events. They also gave me time at the end for questions and comments. Make sure you take advantage of that and cover everything you want to say or ask! Good luck!

It took Touro Harlem almost the full 2 months to get back to me with a decision (yay, accepted!). I had pretty much given up on an acceptance at that point because it took so long. But, surprise!

2 months?!? Jeez. It hasn't even been a week since my interview and I'm dyingggg. Did you contact them anytime within that time frame to get a status update, or give a letter of intent?

Hi guys, I applied here, specifically choosing the Harlem campus only for my preference, since I was excited by the idea of living in NYC. But I still haven't heard back, and I'm starting to wish I'd chosen prefer both. Is there a way to change this preference?

Hi guys, I applied here, specifically choosing the Harlem campus only for my preference, since I was excited by the idea of living in NYC. But I still haven't heard back, and I'm starting to wish I'd chosen prefer both. Is there a way to change this preference?

I wouldn't think that putting that option down would have changed your chances. The adcoms will probably take the no preference apps and disperse them accordingly between the two campuses so that each campus has a number of applicants proportionate to the number of spots at that campus, then give out interview invites. I'd be willing to bet that you had real reasons to pick Harlem and so you're sticking to your guns and probably would have a great talking point for them on that if they do send you II. I'm just a layperson though so it probably doesn't hurt to call and ask.

2 months?!? Jeez. It hasn't even been a week since my interview and I'm dyingggg. Did you contact them anytime within that time frame to get a status update, or give a letter of intent?

Yeah, I called 2 separate times post interview to check my status. They looked me up in the system and said a decision hadn't been made yet. The only letter I sent was the Thank You letter the day after the interview.

Do they admit students based on how they interviewed in their group for the day or out of all the students they interview? How many people get in out of the thirty people getting interviewed?

Do they admit students based on how they interviewed in their group for the day or out of all the students they interview? How many people get in out of the thirty people getting interviewed?

I don't think anyone really knows the answer to this, but I can't imagine why they'd compare you to your interview group. I'm pretty sure they'd compare you to all students. They might let in all the people from one interview group and none of the people from another.

However, it's possible that an interviewer's impression of you could be colored by your cohort.

That was so helpful!

Another thing how are the living situations/safety for both campuses (harlem and middletown). Which area is better for life as a med student? I'm wondering if either does clinical research...

That was so helpful!

Another thing how are the living situations/safety for both campuses (harlem and middletown). Which area is better for life as a med student? I'm wondering if either does clinical research...

Harlem is Harlem. It's a lot safer than it was 10 years ago, but it's still Harlem. If you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. I've never felt unsafe, but then again I am also a male. Within the building, security staff keep it very safe. Never heard of anything being stolen or anything within the building.

I can't speak for Middletown since I don't go there, but I'd assume it's a bit safer since it's in the suburbs.

In terms of which is better, there isn't really a comparison since they're so different. Harlem is super busy/NYC life, Middletown is suburbs/much quieter. Some people like cities, some people don't. Harlem's campus is secure and quiet enough that it won't distract from your studies.

There isn't too much clinical research at Harlem, but there's a ton of benchwork/lab research if you're interested. The research faculty are very friendly and eager to get students involved.

Harlem is Harlem. It's a lot safer than it was 10 years ago, but it's still Harlem. If you keep your wits about you, you'll be fine. I've never felt unsafe, but then again I am also a male. Within the building, security staff keep it very safe. Never heard of anything being stolen or anything within the building.

I can't speak for Middletown since I don't go there, but I'd assume it's a bit safer since it's in the suburbs.

In terms of which is better, there isn't really a comparison since they're so different. Harlem is super busy/NYC life, Middletown is suburbs/much quieter. Some people like cities, some people don't. Harlem's campus is secure and quiet enough that it won't distract from your studies.

There isn't too much clinical research at Harlem, but there's a ton of benchwork/lab research if you're interested. The research faculty are very friendly and eager to get students involved.
Hey all, I'm currently a female living in Harlem. I have for about a year now. Like any city, you have to be alert and always be on your toes. There's a lot of hustle and bustle! But if anyone were to ask me if I felt unsafe, I would instantly respond "no". It's definitely a growing area with new restaurants and bars popping up each month. I live 8 blocks from the school and I can honestly say that if I had the opportunity to stay, I would in a heart beat. A lot of character in the area which makes it a great place to live!

Last edited: