Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
for everyone interviewing at middletown, which airport are you flying into/what's the cheapest way to do it? thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

for everyone interviewing at middletown, which airport are you flying into/what's the cheapest way to do it? thanks :)

Stewart is the best option, but realistically may not really be an option due to cost and flight availability.

Newark is the next best option. Rent a car. It's a bit of a drive but traffic isn't terrible.

JFK and LGA are equally terrible options. Traffic is an enormous, epic pain in the ass. Unless you absolutely have to, go with EWR.

Stewart is the best option, but realistically may not really be an option due to cost and flight availability.

Newark is the next best option. Rent a car. It's a bit of a drive but traffic isn't terrible.

JFK and LGA are equally terrible options. Traffic is an enormous, epic pain in the ass. Unless you absolutely have to, go with EWR.

And there are massive delays for getting out of JFK and LGA for now. The taxi unions have boycotted pickups from the airports and everything is backed up.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone give some insight on the Harlem interview style? open/closed file?

When I interviewed, we have just over 30 people interviewing. They separate you into 2 groups; a group that interviews in the morning, and one that interviews after 11am. While one group interviews, the other watches presentations from current students, the dean, director of admissions, financial aid, and the in-house counselor. They give you breakfast and coffee, so you can snack while you listen.

The interview is you with two faculty members. It's very casual and only lasts 20-30 minutes. They asked me questions almost solely from my application. Nothing abnormal. They then give you a free lunch where you can chat with current students, one more presentation, then you take a tour of the school.

The school is pretty impressive. Everything is new and state of the art. There's a really cool stimulation lab, 3D computerized dissection labs, a plastination room with preserved bodies, a cadaver lab, etc. The students tour guides will answer your questions. I liked it a lot.

Is this at Harlem or Middletown?

ACCEPTED TO TOURO HARLEM TODAY!
Complete 11/9, Interviewed 12/7, LizzyM 64

Can't wait to join and meet all those who were accepted! For those of you waiting still- wishing for the best for you too!

Does anyone have insight on the Summer Anatomy course? Is it worth taking?

I'm a OMSI at TouroCOM. I have never taken anatomy before, and still did well in the class. I've heard from previous years that you don't have to take summer anatomy to do well in the class. Majority of the students in my class didn't take summer anatomy and still did well. My advice? Save your $2,000 and go spend it on a vacation for the upcoming summer. Treat yourself to the bahamas, cancun, miami, or wherever you want before you start medical school because you won't have a life until your winter break or your next summer break. Congrats on an incredible achievement and a start to an incredible journey of becoming a doctor :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about reapplicants? I interviewed at Harlem last year in January but I'm confident that I did badly on the interview, and I'm sure it was the reason for my rejection. I reapplied this year but I haven't heard back. Does anyone know if they have some sort of blacklist for people who have done very poorly on past interviews?

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about reapplicants? I interviewed at Harlem last year in January but I'm confident that I did badly on the interview, and I'm sure it was the reason for my rejection. I reapplied this year but I haven't heard back. Does anyone know if they have some sort of blacklist for people who have done very poorly on past interviews?
Unsure about this, but I would definitely give admissions office a call ASAP. Ask for an update or when you should hear them back. But you should hear them back within 2 months of the interview.

Unsure about this, but I would definitely give admissions office a call ASAP. Ask for an update or when you should hear them back. But you should hear them back within 2 months of the interview.

Hello,

Thank you for your response. But I feel there might be a misunderstanding. I interviewed in January 2016 and was rejected. So I don't understand what you mean when yiu say I should hear back in 2 months?

Apply again! I was accepted after my second year interviewing. The first time my interview went terrible. I felt like I was on a different wavelength than the interviewers the whole time, and they implied during the interview that they didn't want me at the school. The next year I interviewed again and had a positive experience. Now I'm a first year, having a great time and can't imagine doing anything else.

Apply again! I was accepted after my second year interviewing. The first time my interview went terrible. I felt like I was on a different wavelength than the interviewers the whole time, and they implied during the interview that they didn't want me at the school. The next year I interviewed again and had a positive experience. Now I'm a first year, having a great time and can't imagine doing anything else.

Thank you for your response!

Just for the opportunity to release a lot of stress, can you say when you were interviewed during both cycles? I.e. were you interviewed much later in the cycle during your second time applying? During the last cycle I interviewed in January. This time around, I still haven't heard back from them. And my secondary was submitted months ago, during this cycle. Is it normal for re-applicants to end up interviewing later in the second cycle, relative to the previous one?

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview for Touro Middletown recently, but was wondering if anyone has had a chance from switching the Middletown interview to a Harlem interview? Just wondering in case this was possible. I know the two schools are separate from one another but since they're both under the Touro NY system, I was hoping it'd be possible.

I received an interview for Touro Middletown recently, but was wondering if anyone has had a chance from switching the Middletown interview to a Harlem interview? Just wondering in case this was possible. I know the two schools are separate from one another but since they're both under the Touro NY system, I was hoping it'd be possible.
I am unsure about this, but I would definitely give Middletown Admission office a call. Is there a reason why you are switching from Middletown to Harlem?

I am unsure about this, but I would definitely give Middletown Admission office a call. Is there a reason why you are switching from Middletown to Harlem?

My fiancee is starting to look at residencies in NYC so I figured it'd be easier to be in Harlem in the case that he does get matched in NYC. I'll give them a call sometime this week to ask about this!

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your secondary application for Touro? Just asking because I want to get a sense of how far along they are in reviewing apps and processing secondaries.
To answer your question- you could always ask admissions this upcoming week and see what they say.

Not really sure when I submitted, but I got a complete email on November 1st. I think I submitted two weeks before that.

Thank you for your response!

Just for the opportunity to release a lot of stress, can you say when you were interviewed during both cycles? I.e. were you interviewed much later in the cycle during your second time applying? During the last cycle I interviewed in January. This time around, I still haven't heard back from them. And my secondary was submitted months ago, during this cycle. Is it normal for re-applicants to end up interviewing later in the second cycle, relative to the previous one?

Hmm I don't know too much about the actual admissions process. Both times I interviewed around December/November. If you still haven't heard back, I don't think it would hurt to call and inquire about your file. Good luck!

Hmm I don't know too much about the actual admissions process. Both times I interviewed around December/November. If you still haven't heard back, I don't think it would hurt to call and inquire about your file. Good luck!

Ok, thanks for your response!

Hey, does anyone know the averages for a hopeful applicant.

The class average is about a 3.5 and a 30.5, but most of us who have a high mcat have a lower GPA and vice-versa.

And since your in already do you mind giving a few pointers on studying routine for the MCAT

And since your in already do you mind giving a few pointers on studying routine for the MCAT

Phase 1: take a Kaplan class or something and review all material that will be covered. Time needed = 1-3 months.

Phase 2: get as many full-length practice tests as you can possibly get your hands on. Take them with full time constraints. Do not cheat or take any more breaks than given. After the test, Review every single answer you got wrong and know why you got it wrong. I suggest 20 full lengths at absolute minimum. If your goal score is 510, make sure that, for the last 5-10 practice tests before the real thing, you're scoring an average of at least 514-515. Your actual score will almost certainly be a few points lower than your last few practice tests. Time required = 2 months.

Some people will say this is unecessarily rigorous. To them I say that you should be taking this test seriously.

Phase 1: take a Kaplan class or something and review all material that will be covered. Time needed = 1-3 months.

Phase 2: get as many full-length practice tests as you can possibly get your hands on. Take them with full time constraints. Do not cheat or take any more breaks than given. After the test, Review every single answer you got wrong and know why you got it wrong. I suggest 20 full lengths at absolute minimum. If your goal score is 510, make sure that, for the last 5-10 practice tests before the real thing, you're scoring an average of at least 514-515. Your actual score will almost certainly be a few points lower than your last few practice tests. Time required = 2 months.

Some people will say this is unecessarily rigorous. To them I say that you should be taking this test seriously.

Thanks a lot really appreciate the help and best of luck future DO

does anyone know which email I should send a thank you letter to the admissions committee after the interview? I think they mentioned not to send anything to the admissions email but I forget who they said to email it to. Thank you!

yes they said it would get lost bc they have thousands of emails coming in.

generally when do people recommend calling to check your status post interview?

generally when do people recommend calling to check your status post interview?

Don't call unless it's been 8 FULL weeks after your interview.

Do not expect to hear back sooner. Myself and many of my classmates recieved acceptance emails a full 8 weeks after interviewing.

Don't call unless it's been 8 FULL weeks after your interview.

Do not expect to hear back sooner. Myself and many of my classmates recieved acceptance emails a full 8 weeks after interviewing.

Do you know if they're receptive to post interview updates? (New grades, publications)

Hey guys I interviewed early January and I just heard back with an acceptance. So hopefully you guys hear back soon :)

does anyone know which email I should send a thank you letter to the admissions committee after the interview? I think they mentioned not to send anything to the admissions email but I forget who they said to email it to. Thank you!

i sent it to the individual interviewers. hopefully thats okay! anyone know?!

I interviewed fairly recently at Harlem (less than three weeks ago) and got an e-mail today saying I was put on the waitlist. Is it a bad sign to have this happen so early after the interview? There was no information about waitlist tiers or rankings in the e-mail. I had a lower than average GPA but really solid MCAT (>515) so this is pretty disappointing.

I interviewed fairly recently at Harlem (less than three weeks ago) and got an e-mail today saying I was put on the waitlist. Is it a bad sign to have this happen so early after the interview? There was no information about waitlist tiers or rankings in the e-mail. I had a lower than average GPA but really solid MCAT (>515) so this is pretty disappointing.

No. The times are unpredictable. It can be as long as 8 weeks but that's hardly an average. What was your GPA?

No. The times are unpredictable. It can be as long as 8 weeks but that's hardly an average. What was your GPA?

~3.3. Going to go down next cycle because that includes retakes, so if I don't get in here or another school I'm waiting on then I'm kind of screwed.

I interviewed January 9th, and just heard yesterday that I was accepted!! I can't believe how great it feels to be on this side of that letter! Can't wait to start, hope to see you all there!
By the numbers - Had a 28 on the old MCAT, retested and brought that up to a 510. Cumulative Undergrad GPA 3.05, PostBac GPA 3.79. Applied last year and wasn't accepted.

~3.3. Going to go down next cycle because that includes retakes, so if I don't get in here or another school I'm waiting on then I'm kind of screwed.

Bringing your GPA up is a good idea. That being said, I don't think the problem, at least for Touro, was your numbers.

I couldn't seem to find a separate post for Middletown but I just got an II. Does anyone have any good advice on how to get from an airport to Middletown?

I interviewed January 9th, and just heard yesterday that I was accepted!! I can't believe how great it feels to be on this side of that letter! Can't wait to start, hope to see you all there!
By the numbers - Had a 28 on the old MCAT, retested and brought that up to a 510. Cumulative Undergrad GPA 3.05, PostBac GPA 3.79. Applied last year and wasn't accepted.
When you applied last year, did you have your old MCAT score or the 510 by that time?

II today

Completed in October. OOS, non trad. cGPA 3.5, sGPA 3.4. MCAT 509.

Interview dates still available: 2/28, 3/1, 3/6, 3/8

Received Interview Invite. I withdrew my application because I was already accepted to one of my top schools. Hopefully the II goes to one of you guys.

Received Interview Invite. I withdrew my application because I was already accepted to one of my top schools. Hopefully the II goes to one of you guys.

Would you mind sharing stats and complete date? Thanks in advance!

Would you mind sharing stats and complete date? Thanks in advance!
Sure. Lizzy M ~68. Secondary completed (I think) 09/01/2016 (if not, defininetly within the first couple days of September). II invite in 02/2017.

Did anyone else get a good cop/bad cop type of interview? It was pretty interesting haha