Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone who applied for the masters program make it off of the waitlist for the DO program? I'm on the waitlist and afraid of applying for the masters program because they might accept me for masters and give the DO spot to someone else

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who applied for the masters program make it off of the waitlist for the DO program? I'm on the waitlist and afraid of applying for the masters program because they might accept me for masters and give the DO spot to someone else

During my interview, Frank said that people accepted into the Master's program can still be pulled off the waiting list. In fact, the DO program will always take precedence over Master's.

Hey guys, so I don't have an undergraduate degree. I just complete my Doctor of Pharmacy degree at Rutgers University with a 3.066 GPA. I don't really know how to calculate my science gpa because I didn't take the traditional undergraduate route and I was in a 6 year program. I am really interested in applying for this post bacc program and I would like other's feedback if i would be a competitive candidate.

If I calculate my science GPA using biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics, it is only a 2.4 (due to circumstances I did not do as well during my first few years in college). however this does not take into account all the science classes I took for the pharmacy major and I am not sure if they count as science

I have good ECs, A lot of clinical and work experience since I am a pharmacy major.

I still need to take the MCAT.

If anyone can give feedback I would greatly appreciate it!!

Hey guys, so I don't have an undergraduate degree. I just complete my Doctor of Pharmacy degree at Rutgers University with a 3.066 GPA. I don't really know how to calculate my science gpa because I didn't take the traditional undergraduate route and I was in a 6 year program. I am really interested in applying for this post bacc program and I would like other's feedback if i would be a competitive candidate.

If I calculate my science GPA using biology, chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics, it is only a 2.4 (due to circumstances I did not do as well during my first few years in college). however this does not take into account all the science classes I took for the pharmacy major and I am not sure if they count as science

I have good ECs, A lot of clinical and work experience since I am a pharmacy major.

I still need to take the MCAT.

If anyone can give feedback I would greatly appreciate it!!

Well Congrats on completing your Doctor of Pharmacy Degree! Though this is a forum where we share ideas I really think you have a unique enough case where you're going to have to ask a more experienced pre-med advisors or the admission committee of the school you want to apply to.

Off the top of my head if it is studying science it will count as a science- it goes beyond just the biology, chemistry.. etc. I had classes in graduate school under material science that counted as a science, and the study of pharmaceuticals is certainly a science.

You are also going to have a few challenges in front of you; the most important of which is being able to concisely explain why you are changing to medicine instead of being a pharmacist. You are also going to have to destroy the MCAT, and do very well in a post-bac program. If your clinical work is in the pharmacy it won't count as much, admissions committees want to hear about your time in the hospital working with patients (you might already have this just saying).

All the best

Did anyone else have trouble with the deposit? It says 3000, 2000 of which is non-refundable but when I followed their instructions to submit it it only has me put down 2000. I tried calling a few times and left a voicemail and also emailed but I'm worried that my seat wont be held if I didn't put down 3000 and the deadline is tomorrow

There is a link for a 2000 deposit (1st deposit) and one for a 1000 deposit (2nd deposit).

There is a link for a 2000 deposit (1st deposit) and one for a 1000 deposit (2nd deposit).
Ok thank you I did this! Also for the "acceptance form" did you just print out what they sent, check the box, scan it, and email it to them? We didn't have to sign anything right? Sorry I know this is straightforward I just want to make sure I did everything right since its due tomorrow and they didnt call/email me back

Ok thank you I did this! Also for the "acceptance form" did you just print out what they sent, check the box, scan it, and email it to them? We didn't have to sign anything right? Sorry I know this is straightforward I just want to make sure I did everything right since its due tomorrow and they didnt call/email me back

You are correct. They have been closed for the past 2 days due to a Jewish holiday.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an acceptance by e-mail for Middletown, will decline, so someone will get an offer soon

Accepted today. Middletown campus. Interview on April 24.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I will be withdrawing my acceptance soon from Touro Harlem. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist

This financial aid stuff is really confusing to me for some reason. I put in Touro College into the entrance counseling form on the studentloans.gov site, but the COA is no where close to what the actual cost is. What am I doing wrong?

This financial aid stuff is really confusing to me for some reason. I put in Touro College into the entrance counseling form on the studentloans.gov site, but the COA is no where close to what the actual cost is. What am I doing wrong?

They'll give you the official COA once your Financial aid package comes in. You should check out the 2021 fb group

Accepted off the Middletown waitlist today. Interviewed 3/27, waitlisted 5/05. Major underdog, took the MCAT more than a few times..completed the MS program at Harlem last year. This has been several years in the making and I'm deliriously happy right now. Looking forward to starting school soon!

Reactions: 8 users
Accepted off the Middletown waitlist today. Interviewed 3/27, waitlisted 5/05. Major underdog, took the MCAT more than a few times..completed the MS program at Harlem last year. This has been several years in the making and I'm deliriously happy right now. Looking forward to starting school soon!
Congrats, look forward to meeting everyone!

Accepted to Harlem off the waitlist today. Interviewed in March and waitlisted in April.
3.5 GPA and 504 MCAT. Only acceptance, so definitely will be attending.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to TouroCOM Middletown and thought I'd make an account to share some info as I stalked SDN before and it helped me for sure.

I applied with a 3.25 science GPA, 3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.85 masters GPA, 26 MCAT (501?)
I received an II in October, and interviewed in November. I was Waitlisted in December.
I came off the Wait List in June (about a week ago)
I sent in many update letters and kept in close touch with Frank Rose. He is an AMAZING person. He told me to email him once a week showing interest, which I did. He is honestly one of the nicest guys I've ever met and is genuinely looking to help applicants out, so shoot him an email!

I will also be withdrawing my seat, so I hope it goes to one of you on here! Best of luck with the process and keep sending emails!

Hi everyone! I was recently accepted to TouroCOM Middletown and thought I'd make an account to share some info as I stalked SDN before and it helped me for sure.

I applied with a 3.25 science GPA, 3.3 undergrad GPA, 3.85 masters GPA, 26 MCAT (501?)
I received an II in October, and interviewed in November. I was Waitlisted in December.
I came off the Wait List in June (about a week ago)
I sent in many update letters and kept in close touch with Frank Rose. He is an AMAZING person. He told me to email him once a week showing interest, which I did. He is honestly one of the nicest guys I've ever met and is genuinely looking to help applicants out, so shoot him an email!

I will also be withdrawing my seat, so I hope it goes to one of you on here! Best of luck with the process and keep sending emails!

I had a similar experience with sending update letters. As per a suggestion I received from the Admissions mailbox, I sent in an "update letter" every month after I was waitlisted (update in quotes because how many times can you reword 'hey, I'm still around and still interested'??). Asking someone to send weekly e-mails for months is a complete joke but good on you for having the persistence to keep that up! It's absurd but if that's the difference between getting an acceptance or not then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...

I had a similar experience with sending update letters. As per a suggestion I received from the Admissions mailbox, I sent in an "update letter" every month after I was waitlisted (update in quotes because how many times can you reword 'hey, I'm still around and still interested'??). Asking someone to send weekly e-mails for months is a complete joke but good on you for having the persistence to keep that up! It's absurd but if that's the difference between getting an acceptance or not then I guess you gotta do what you gotta do...

were you accepted as well??

Accepted yesterday off of the waitlist...good luck to everyone else...fingers crossed for everyone!!

I was also accepted yesterday off the waitlist at Middletown! Good luck all!

Hi!!! Congrats everyone who was accepted. I also was just taken off the waitlist for Harlem as of today. So now to find housing. Does anyone have any info or is there any forum that anyone would recommend?
I'm excited to meet the Class of 2021!

accepted to middletown town today 3.53 gpa 500 mcat

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I've been accepted to the Harlem Campus for a while now but I couldn't find any Facebook group for the Class of 2021. Can anyone link me if they know?

Those in the class of 2021 who actually care about rotations... Ask your 3rd year upperclassmen about why we lost two clinical sites.

Those in the class of 2021 who actually care about rotations... Ask your 3rd year upperclassmen about why we lost two clinical sites.

Or, you know, you could tell us.

Harlem and Middletown have several different rotation sites. Actually, only a very small amount are shared.

Are you sure about that? I thought they shared most, but places like ORMC gave priority to Middletown... but they were pretty flexible? Eh what do I know.

Are you sure about that? I thought they shared most, but places like ORMC gave priority to Middletown... but they were pretty flexible? Eh what do I know.
Yeah Middletown has protected rotation sites, as does Harlem. I'm assuming Harlem's urban sites are being pushed out by other schools.

Is it possible to rotate at sites intended for students of the other campus? I was considering Middletown because of the location and facilities but after viewing that link, I'm not sure I'm happy with their rotation sites as compared to Harlem's.

Is it possible to rotate at sites intended for students of the other campus? I was considering Middletown because of the location and facilities but after viewing that link, I'm not sure I'm happy with their rotation sites as compared to Harlem's.

There is some overlap between clinical rotation sites between Harlem and Middletown campuses. So there is a possibility you could be in NYC or LI during 3rd year.

The website says they require a LOR from a physician, none of the other schools I am applying to have required this. Is it really enforced?