Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there a Middletown Campus thread? I'm having a hard time finding it! I just received an interview there!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone received a secondary application or interview invite from Harlem campus yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys current student here at TouroCOM-harlem. Not sure why some people have been posting negative threads/comments about the school. I'm sure every student's experience is different but for the most part everyone I know is grateful to be where they're at. Of course changes could be made-that goes without saying for any school but with our new dean making changes already and being super receptive towards the students, I wouldn't just listen to anyone posting facts without proof regarding the school. Just to clarify, our step 1 scores are one of the highest (not lowest, as indicated on the first page). And yes, although the school did over accept last year- they've learnt their lesson. Also TouroCOM-harlem was the third most applied medical school last year which probably explains the overacceptance but it's not something I would be worried about for upcoming years. http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...6/10-medical-schools-with-the-most-applicants. I've spent almost 2 two years at Touro and sure there are some things I wish could be changed but for the most part I'm grateful to be here.
In terms of the clicker curriculum- it's for some people, its not for others. Depends on your learning style. I hated undergrad- never got anything out of professors just rambling about stuff. Now I have the option to rewind or 2x the speed of the videos beforehand. And the clickers from 1-5 is only a big thing during first year, during second year there's definitely more free time. And even clickers- I wouldnt say all of us are just on "facebook/reddit" doing nothing- it gives us a better idea of what we should focus on when we're approaching the exam. The thing is YOU have to do the work- YOU have to be on top of your stuff. It's med school- it's supposed to be hard lol but complaining about the school and writing degrading comments about it that don't even reflect the majority of the student body is unacceptable. Sorry for the ramble but just wanted to put it out there that yes, there are students like myself that are happy to be here and are doing pretty darn good things. (Just look up our match list from previous years). At the end of the day, it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in when it comes to classes, boards, etc.
As for current admission stats, I don't know much about the current acceptance stats but for our class year the average MCAT was a 32. (From my understanding TouroCOM-Harlem likes the high mcat, doesnt mind the low gpa). But please don't take the final word from me either- just a current second year. Best of luck with your application cycle!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys current student here at TouroCOM-harlem. Not sure why some people have been posting negative threads/comments about the school. I'm sure every student's experience is different but for the most part everyone I know is grateful to be where they're at. Of course changes could be made-that goes without saying for any school but with our new dean making changes already and being super receptive towards the students, I wouldn't just listen to anyone posting facts without proof regarding the school. Just to clarify, our step 1 scores are one of the highest (not lowest, as indicated on the first page). And yes, although the school did over accept last year- they've learnt their lesson. Also TouroCOM-harlem was the third most applied medical school last year which probably explains the overacceptance but it's not something I would be worried about for upcoming years. http://www.usnews.com/education/bes...6/10-medical-schools-with-the-most-applicants. I've spent almost 2 two years at Touro and sure there are some things I wish could be changed but for the most part I'm grateful to be here.
In terms of the clicker curriculum- it's for some people, its not for others. Depends on your learning style. I hated undergrad- never got anything out of professors just rambling about stuff. Now I have the option to rewind or 2x the speed of the videos beforehand. And the clickers from 1-5 is only a big thing during first year, during second year there's definitely more free time. And even clickers- I wouldnt say all of us are just on "facebook/reddit" doing nothing- it gives us a better idea of what we should focus on when we're approaching the exam. The thing is YOU have to do the work- YOU have to be on top of your stuff. It's med school- it's supposed to be hard lol but complaining about the school and writing degrading comments about it that don't even reflect the majority of the student body is unacceptable. Sorry for the ramble but just wanted to put it out there that yes, there are students like myself that are happy to be here and are doing pretty darn good things. (Just look up our match list from previous years). At the end of the day, it boils down to how much work you're willing to put in when it comes to classes, boards, etc.
As for current admission stats, I don't know much about the current acceptance stats but for our class year the average MCAT was a 32. (From my understanding TouroCOM-Harlem likes the high mcat, doesnt mind the low gpa). But please don't take the final word from me either- just a current second year. Best of luck with your application cycle!

You're being disingenuous.

Even on the survey that the faculty conducted, 56% of students expressed discontent with the school... and that's in a situation where the students' identity was clearly exposed.

60 students between middletown and harlem were held back from writing comlex 1 this year. Ask the SGA but right now they're being shills for the admin.

22% failed step 2.

AND THE SCHOOL IS ON PROBATION.

At this point you have to be completely desperate to pick this school.

Even on the survey that the faculty conducted, 56% of students expressed discontent with the school... and that's in a situation where the students' identity was clearly exposed.

60 students between middletown and harlem were held back from writing comlex 1 this year. Ask the SGA but right now they're being shills for the admin.

22% failed step 2.

where do you see that it's on probation? did a quick google search, didn't find anything

where do you see that it's on probation? did a quick google search, didn't find anything

It's on the class facebook page for the first years and second years. Funniest part is that the Administration isnt even letting the current 3rd and 4th years know. We find out through facebook..

It's on the class facebook page for the first years and second years. Funniest part is that the Administration isnt even letting the current 3rd and 4th years know. We find out through facebook..

since we can't access the group page, could you screen shot and post the "probation" news?

since we can't access the group page, could you screen shot and post the "probation" news?
Lol so happy I don't have to go through the application BS again. Just randomly came across this thread while procrastinating studying. I'm a first year at Touro. Yes, people have some gripes, but overall as someone else posted, people are happy. I just completed a masters at an MD school, and would say that the lectures at Touro are actually better than at the MD school. As for the clickers, some like them, some hate them, most people are somewhere in the middle. You get out what you put in. People who are telling you to never apply to Touro are either trolls or don't want the competition. People have been talking about how there's a lack of transparency at Touro, and it seems like the administration is working very hard to change that. I am happy to be at this school, and can answer questions people have about it.

Lol so happy I don't have to go through the application BS again. Just randomly came across this thread while procrastinating studying. I'm a first year at Touro. Yes, people have some gripes, but overall as someone else posted, people are happy. I just completed a masters at an MD school, and would say that the lectures at Touro are actually better than at the MD school. As for the clickers, some like them, some hate them, most people are somewhere in the middle. You get out what you put in. People who are telling you to never apply to Touro are either trolls or don't want the competition. People have been talking about how there's a lack of transparency at Touro, and it seems like the administration is working very hard to change that. I am happy to be at this school, and can answer questions people have about it.

It's not "some people". It was >50% of the student body willing to tell the faculty that they're dissatisfied and attach their I.D. to it.

Also, keep recommending the school with the lowest pass rates in the nation. If 25% are held back from writing step 1 and another 20% fail step 2, something is ridiculously wrong.

And speaking of lack of transparency, what do you call it when a school is put on probation and the students don't know for ~3-4 months? They have yet to state the demands and changes COCA requires of Touro..

Last edited:
Lol I think I know who you are. Hahaha for some reason I have a feeling I'll be seeing you at our anatomy lab table tomorrow Meowww lol you'll get that if its you

It's not "some people". It was >50% of the student body willing to tell the faculty that they're dissatisfied and attach their I.D. to it.

Also, keep recommending the school with the lowest pass rates in the nation. If 25% are held back from writing step 1 and another 20% fail step 2, something is ridiculously wrong.

And speaking of lack of transparency, what do you call it when a school is put on probation and the students don't know for ~3-4 months? They have yet to state the demands and changes COCA requires of Touro..
Dissatisfied with what??? You're not being specific. 1/2 of us aren't saying we're dissatisfied with the school over all, are we? Clickers, maybe...cuz everyone is so far behind and there's sooooooo much work to do...welcome to med school

And you wanna know "the demands and changes COCA requires of Touro...?" So do I, cuz I like to know every thing, but even if I did there's nothing I could do about it...that's for the administration to worry about. Why don't we just worry about studying, and kicking ass on the boards so that way we improve our numbers. You know...cuz "We are Touro". If Touro looks bad,We look bad too. We gotta work harder and I believe that the probation situation is gonna light some fire under the school so the administration will do its part too. 'We' all gotta work our asses off (administration and students). I'm sick of this school looking bad.

Last edited:

22% failed step 2.

Where are you getting this info?!?! Maybe you are one of the students who got held back and are just upset bc I go to Touro now as well and do NOT feel the same way as you do at all nor do many of the classmates I hang out with. Yes, every med school has issues but if you want a perfect school maybe you should've tried harder and gone to Harvard.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also 95% of us scored above the average on boards FYI. This was data that was given to us in July...yes some people did not take boards yet in July but a lot of people also didn't start their rotations until August or September so they didn't start studying until later on in the year for boards, hence why "60" people got held back from taking it (I HIGHLY doubt it was 60 people though)

I don't know. Obviously people are not happy. It was because of student complaints that Touro got put on probation.

This is not a thread to push your strange agenda @doczebra. This is a thread for potential incoming students to get a fair representation of what our school is like. A school that, yes, certainly has it's faults and growing pains, but is nowhere near the hellhole you make it. I'm sorry if you've had that experience, but most students here do not view the school this way.

@doczebra is making egregious claims that are not true. 25% of the class is not held back from taking Step 1. They may have had to pass the COMSAE before taking it COMLEX, but that is not the same thing as "being held back", implying permanence, and is a practice that happens in several MD and DO schools. I'm sure that students do complain about things. I have personally complained about the lack of sleep I get, how difficult the exams are, and how cold Anatomy lab can get multiple times. You know, standard medical school whining. I can say with no hesitation that 56% of our student body is not as unhappy with our school as this lone student claims.

For everyone else on this thread that is truly looking for answers, I am sorry that you are being dragged into this strange situation. You have made this thread to talk to each other and find out what our school is like and I hope that the other students who have given honest, transparent feedback and will continue to do so can help you get a feel for if you would fit in here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I still haven't received a secondary from TOUROCOM, anyone else in the same boat? I received all of my other DO secondaries...

you don't know that.
Everything is all so suspect here.

We do actually know that. Get a life bro, no one is here for your conspiracy theories.

I still haven't received a secondary from TOUROCOM, anyone else in the same boat? I received all of my other DO secondaries...

Try calling admissions and making sure everything you've sent has been received.

This is not a thread to push your strange agenda @doczebra. This is a thread for potential incoming students to get a fair representation of what our school is like. A school that, yes, certainly has it's faults and growing pains, but is nowhere near the hellhole you make it. I'm sorry if you've had that experience, but most students here do not view the school this way.

@doczebra is making egregious claims that are not true. 25% of the class is not held back from taking Step 1. They may have had to pass the COMSAE before taking it COMLEX, but that is not the same thing as "being held back", implying permanence, and is a practice that happens in several MD and DO schools. I'm sure that students do complain about things. I have personally complained about the lack of sleep I get, how difficult the exams are, and how cold Anatomy lab can get multiple times. You know, standard medical school whining. I can say with no hesitation that 56% of our student body is not as unhappy with our school as this lone student claims.

For everyone else on this thread that is truly looking for answers, I am sorry that you are being dragged into this strange situation. You have made this thread to talk to each other and find out what our school is like and I hope that the other students who have given honest, transparent feedback and will continue to do so can help you get a feel for if you would fit in here.

Since this other student keeps posting about this "news release" on the touro student group page on Facebook. Can anyone validate if this claim is true by snapshotting whats posted on there?

Since this other student keeps posting about this "news release" on the touro student group page on Facebook. Can anyone validate if this claim is true by snapshotting whats posted on there?
It's none of your business what's on our class page, or who is in our class. No screen shotting private group conversations

It's none of your business what's on our class page, or who is in our class. No screen shotting private group conversations

I'm only asking if what that student said was true that the school told the students through the group page. If truly all of the other students such as yourself are encouraging applicants to disregard what this student is saying, isn't it just easy to show that the school never posted anything like that?

Or else it tells us applicants that this student may have exaggerated a lot of things but was right when stating that this school is on probation, which is not something that applicants can take lightly.

I'm only asking if what that student said was true that the school told the students through the group page. If truly all of the other students such as yourself are encouraging applicants to disregard what this student is saying, isn't it just easy to show that the school never posted anything like that?

Or else it tells us applicants that this student may have exaggerated a lot of things but was right when stating that this school is on probation, which is not something that applicants can take lightly.

Actually, what you're asking for is for a private dialogue to be posted online, which can jeopardize student identities and the legitimacy of having a place where students can speak to each other without it being moderated by anyone else. I think any potential applicant to the school is (or should be) capable enough to know that if they have these concerns, they can call the admissions office/dean's office/etc. We're not hiding anything, but we are not going to destroy the legitimacy of a forum for our class. Sorry.

Lol I think I know who you are. Hahaha for some reason I have a feeling I'll be seeing you at our anatomy lab table tomorrow Meowww lol you'll get that if its you

bruh sit tha **** down....

The school sent out an email to all classes, not just the 1st and 2nd years. There was no message that the school posted to facebook. What doczebra wrote about the school not saying anything to upperclassmen is wrong and a lie, there was one school-wide email that we all received.
The school is on probation for over-accepting students last cycle. They have appealed.

Can't wait for @doczebra to come drop some bombs...btw she's already mentioned more than once that she's a 3rd year currently on rotations so she definitely isn't at anyone's anatomy lab table.

i was a Touro MS student last year so i can't honestly speak about anything that's currently happening there but based on my own experiences, i wouldn't be surprised if everything was true. yes, the administration is very shady. yes, there are a lot of questionable practices and rules. yes, having clickers every day and exams every week is not the best way to manage time at all.

no school is perfect but it's evident that Touro has some issues going on. some people might be totally satisfied with the school, which is great. but it's not really fair to get aggressive with other students who are vocal about the school's problems.

to say that it's an "excellent school" is SUCH a reach btw..come on now.

Can't wait for @doczebra to come drop some bombs...btw she's already mentioned more than once that she's a 3rd year currently on rotations so she definitely isn't at anyone's anatomy lab table.

i was a Touro MS student last year so i can't honestly speak about anything that's currently happening there but based on my own experiences, i wouldn't be surprised if everything was true. yes, the administration is very shady. yes, there are a lot of questionable practices and rules. yes, having clickers every day and exams every week is not the best way to manage time at all.

no school is perfect but it's evident that Touro has some issues going on. some people might be totally satisfied with the school, which is great. but it's not really fair to get aggressive with other students who are vocal about the school's problems.

Attachments

• image.gif
    image.gif
    652.4 KB · Views: 57

@AirBendingTiger I know exactly who this is...you're a lot quieter in person.

Anyway, you worked hard last year and you have every right to defend your school but being mean to people who disagree is unnecessary.

You don't even know the entire story. This student is clearly someone VERY dissatisfied with Touro (probably messed up their grades, rotations, etc and is blaming Touro for it) but their dissatisfaction DOES NOT speak for everyone else. Sure there are deficits, but they're definitely being worked on. The admin at this very moment is receptive to what we have to say. A year ago? Probably not. Which is why they're paying the price for it. But I certainly think this isn't permanent, rather a HUGE step towards a better Touro. That being said, (with all due respect) for someone who didn't even get into the DO program from the MS program should reserve their opinions of the school. This is just another biased perspective from someone who may be dissatisfied with their turnout. Again, none of us are trying to get aggressive here nor is anyone saying it's an excellent school. But, when so many of us current Touro students are giving you our perspective, we hope you too can respect that.

You don't even know the entire story. This student is clearly someone VERY dissatisfied with Touro (probably messed up their grades, rotations, etc and is blaming Touro for it) but their dissatisfaction DOES NOT speak for everyone else. Sure there are deficits, but they're definitely being worked on. The admin at this very moment is receptive to what we have to say. A year ago? Probably not. Which is why they're paying the price for it. But I certainly think this isn't permanent, rather a HUGE step towards a better Touro. That being said, (with all due respect) for someone who didn't even get into the DO program from the MS program should reserve their opinions of the school. This is just another biased perspective from someone who may be dissatisfied with their turnout. Again, none of us are trying to get aggressive here nor is anyone saying it's an excellent school. But, when so many of us current Touro students are giving you our perspective, we hope you too can respect that.

LOL let me tell you something. Not getting into Touro was a blessing. Re-taking (and acing) the MCAT was a small price to pay since I will most likely go to a school better than yours. Secondly, paying tuition and getting a degree from Touro means I can say whatever the hell I want about it, period. Who on earth says only current students are allowed to voice their opinions? Frankly I couldn't care less about current Touro students giving me their perspective..who are you? Someone whose seat was almost taken away because of shady, money-hungry administration, that's who you are. Just a few months ago, I was hunched over in the library just like you are now so spare me.

Also, I have absolutely nothing to be dissatisfied about. I'm at home saving money, getting IIs, eating free food, not paying outrageous NYC rent, and driving my car instead of waiting for a train in the rat-infested 125th St station. you're arguing about your crappy school to strangers on the internet who you will never meet. Being put on probation is a huge step towards your precious school losing its accreditation so go focus on that instead of trying to convince people who are already in the know that things really aren't that bad.

Wow, that's pretty mean. Against a fellow Touro student too. I would have just disagreed with them, but you drove in that screwdriver. Well done!

With friends like you, who needs enemies, am I right?
The grading system in the MS program is insane, to say the least. Safe to say that this person doesn't even know what she's talking about.

I have not received one yet either

When I applied the secondaries didn't go out until November or so. Don't know if things have changed, but be patient. I know this can be a stressful time, but try not to let it overwhelm you. Best of luck!

oh yayyy, "the school is above average on comlex"... by 0.004 SD and with only 75% taking it. A school that was 1 SD above average on MCAT should atleast be >0.5 SD above average on comlex.

And you guys can keep b.s.ing all you want, but the 22% fail rate on step 2 that Touro, itself publishes says enough.

Ever wonder why Touro places zero students into competitive ACGME residencies while much lower DO schools can manage to place some? What do you think is gonna happen to your class when all residencies are acgme?

Last edited:
When I applied the secondaries didn't go out until November or so. Don't know if things have changed, but be patient. I know this can be a stressful time, but try not to let it overwhelm you. Best of luck!

Well, we got an email saying the primary applications were going to be reviewed starting August 31st, and that we should not call to check the status of our applications until September 16th. I have seen a few people have received secondaries, but not as much as I would expect by this time of year. So either they are swamped with a lot of primary apps....ooooorrrr, they just hate us :dead: lol

Well, we got an email saying the primary applications were going to be reviewed starting August 31st, and that we should not call to check the status of our applications until September 16th. I have seen a few people have received secondaries, but not as much as I would expect by this time of year. So either they are swamped with a lot of primary apps....ooooorrrr, they just hate us :dead: lol
Things must've changed. Sorry, am not much help. Nonetheless, don't stress, am sure you'll get it soon. In the meantime, if you know the prompt start working on it.

LOL let me tell you something. Not getting into Touro was a blessing. Re-taking (and acing) the MCAT was a small price to pay since I will most likely go to a school better than yours. Secondly, paying tuition and getting a degree from Touro means I can say whatever the hell I want about it, period. Who on earth says only current students are allowed to voice their opinions? Frankly I couldn't care less about current Touro students giving me their perspective..who are you? Someone whose seat was almost taken away because of shady, money-hungry administration, that's who you are. Just a few months ago, I was hunched over in the library just like you are now so spare me.

Also, I have absolutely nothing to be dissatisfied about. I'm at home saving money, getting IIs, eating free food, not paying outrageous NYC rent, and driving my car instead of waiting for a train in the rat-infested 125th St station. you're arguing about your crappy school to strangers on the internet who you will never meet. Being put on probation is a huge step towards your precious school losing its accreditation so go focus on that instead of trying to convince people who are already in the know that things really aren't that bad.
Very interesting you are speaking from your high horse, I hope it gets you far. If I didnt know any better, I would think you were doczebra's alt account.

We are talking about Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, where we become a DO. Are you getting a DO from the school? No. Are you a medical student? No. This is why current students are considerably more important than you, and frankly, you're on the same level as everyone applying this cycle, believe it or not.

Nearly every student has said this school provides a great education, though the administration isnt fantastic. Which is the same at many schools. And probation leading to losing accreditation? Hardly, it was a one-time over-enrollment, and surprise! Other MD schools and DO schools have been on probation before too. Even "better" schools. Couple that with admins saying that's not a problem to worry about, and your post sounds like a bunch of sour grapes.

I just did some good research on medical schools put on probation.

These probations could be as little as not having enough teaching space, to over enrollment, to actual academic curriculum issues. Sooooo many schools in recent years have been put on probation. To name a few, Baylor, George Washington, UT-San Antonio. There are more schools but the term 'Probation' implies so many things yet could mean nothing in terms of the actual experience of the students.

If the only violation the school had was enrolling a few more students than their accreditation allows, this is extremely dumb to spend an entire page on this forum trying to argue about it.

Ultimately, the residency placements from last years class looks amazing so whatever stats this student is posting can't be valid.

More importantly, can any of the current students share some advice/perspective on living in NY? Where do students stay? Does anyone live within a half mile of the school? Or where is an affordable place to stay (relatively)

I received my secondary and submitted on 9/2. I know they pre-screen decently extensively so it takes time. I haven't heard anything other than confirmation since submitting. My friend who is now year 3 here didn't submit until January of her year and was fine. In case anyone asks my stats are: 3.8 GPA, 502 MCAT, Extensive experience and ECs. OOS though.

Very interesting you are speaking from your high horse, I hope it gets you far. If I didnt know any better, I would think you were doczebra's alt account.

We are talking about Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine, where we become a DO. Are you getting a DO from the school? No. Are you a medical student? No. This is why current students are considerably more important than you, and frankly, you're on the same level as everyone applying this cycle, believe it or not.

Nearly every student has said this school provides a great education, though the administration isnt fantastic. Which is the same at many schools. And probation leading to losing accreditation? Hardly, it was a one-time over-enrollment, and surprise! Other MD schools and DO schools have been on probation before too. Even "better" schools. Couple that with admins saying that's not a problem to worry about, and your post sounds like a bunch of sour grapes.

no sour grapes here, buddy. frankly if you were that much more important than me, you would have gotten into a better school. being "important" at a bad school is nothing to brag about.

i stand by what i said and i do not care about your hostile opinion. go get ready for clickers tomorrow.

I received my secondary and submitted on 9/2. I know they pre-screen decently extensively so it takes time. I haven't heard anything other than confirmation since submitting. My friend who is now year 3 here didn't submit until January of her year and was fine. In case anyone asks my stats are: 3.8 GPA, 502 MCAT, Extensive experience and ECs. OOS though.
you should be good..early app and solid stats. good luck!

you should be good..early app and solid stats. good luck!
Thank you for the positivity @hellobello18 ! And I understand people may have bad opinions about the school but I don't think it worth our time to hash it out on here. Every school has differing opinions but at the end of the day, the graduates are still docs so then it's up to the individual to be a good doc. Negativity and putting certain schools down to hopeful applicants is not helping our application process.