Touro COM - New York, Harlem (TouroCOM-NY, Harlem) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats! feel like sharing stats? PM is okay too :)
3.9 science (or 3.89 lol) 3.81 or 3.82 GPA i always forget. but its either of those numbers... no more no less
502 mcat which is my downfall.

good* ECs much clincial vounteer. 400+ in a cancer lab. and a more ECs that i dont feel like listing lol.

Biochemistry degree currently in senior year.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you guys just typing in your AACOMAS personal statement or writing a new one? The questions are pretty much the same and I feel like I'm being repetitive by going over my experiences and why I want to be an osteopathic physician again. From what it seems, they don't really look at your AACOMAS since the secondary asks for your transcripts and everything. Do you know if they look at your AACOMAS personal statement?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys just typing in your AACOMAS personal statement or writing a new one? The questions are pretty much the same and I feel like I'm being repetitive by going over my experiences and why I want to be an osteopathic physician again. From what it seems, they don't really look at your AACOMAS since the secondary asks for your transcripts and everything. Do you know if they look at your AACOMAS personal statement?
new one for sure.

Just called the school and they stated that they'll be sending out II (via email) every week or every other week (for those that received confirmation of completed secondaries)...So hopefully the rest of us waiting will be hearing from them soon!

guys.... II!! 505 cgpa/sgpa ~3.7. 8/26 secondary submitted.

Hope you guys get good news soon too!!!

guys.... II!! 505 cgpa/sgpa ~3.7. 8/26 secondary submitted.

Hope you guys get good news soon too!!!
Just called the school and they stated that they'll be sending out II (via email) every week or every other week (for those that received confirmation of completed secondaries)...So hopefully the rest of us waiting will be hearing from them soon!
Congratulations! Do you mean the " Supplement Acknowledgement Email"?

That was for when I submitted. 8/31 was for acknowledgement :)
oh awesome! that's when I got that email as well! Hopefully I hear something soon. Congrats once again! Interviewing at Touro early on always seemed like a good sign!!

Reactions: 1 user
How soon after you guys were verified did you receive the secondary? My primary was verified about 3 weeks ago and I have not been emailed by them at all

How soon after you guys were verified did you receive the secondary? My primary was verified about 3 weeks ago and I have not been emailed by them at all
give it some more time (4-5 weeks maybe?)... if you got a secondary u have a large chance of getting a II because they heavily pre screen. my gf is in the same shoes as u.. My stats are on this thread. and hers is a 3.7 GPA 508 on the mcat and hasnt heard back yet (same extras almost)... Dont worry to much!

Anyone here interview at Middletown? How was it/what was the format?

Members don't see this ad :)
just cancelled my interview for 10/31...good luck to you all!

I am offered an interview for Middletown on 11/07, but I'm super concerned about the flipped classroom system and students complaining about this format taking away valuable study time, etc. Can any current Middletown/Harlem students shed light on how they cope with this/study habits? Thanks everyone :)

I am offered an interview for Middletown on 11/07, but I'm super concerned about the flipped classroom system and students complaining about this format taking away valuable study time, etc. Can any current Middletown/Harlem students shed light on how they cope with this/study habits? Thanks everyone :)

Don't think of it as a flipped classroom. Just think of it as mandatory attendance. And like all mandatory attendance, it's a pain in the ass.

Would I rather no have mandatory attendance? Yes.

Would I turn down an interview at middletown if it was my chance at getting into medical school? Hell no.

I've been offered interview dates in November. I emailed to confirm my dates last week. I've gotten no response and no one in admissions is picking up their phone. Has anyone had success talking to an actual person there? If so, what number did you call and around what time?

anyone get an acceptance yet? i interviewed early on Sept 26th and was wondering if anyone from that session has heard back

anyone get an acceptance yet? i interviewed early on Sept 26th and was wondering if anyone from that session has heard back
I was just about to ask this, I interviewed the same day in Middletown. I have not heard back yet

Me too. The admissions guy did say 4-6 weeks though and we are on week 4 now. Sooooooon

I'm sure this isn't going to make you feel any better, but last cycle I got my acceptance email a full 8 weeks after interviewing.

I too interviewed at Middletown on Sep 26th and haven't heard back...

Me too. The admissions guy did say 4-6 weeks though and we are on week 4 now. Sooooooon
October has a lot of time off for everyone (including admissions, I believe) because Touro recognizes and gives time off for the Jewish holidays, so that may be the cause of the delay to some degree. My secondary to interview to acceptance had a pretty precise 4 week period in between each, so I'd say that they're fairly on top of it, at least in my experience. Best of luck!

Any new II? Things seem quiet here.

Which confirmation email are you referring to?

lol just got a secondary, my aacomas was verified early sept

is it too late to submit here?

Just got a secondary invitation, seems late compared to other schools. Anyone have any idea how selective they are with their secondaries?? Thanks in advance!

+1 II. who thinks its worth filling out at this point in the game?

For Middletown people, I just interviewed at Middletown this past week. It was only the second interview group of the cycle. I really enjoyed everything, the students were stellar and the faculty cares. I would say go for it, I think they really take their time on it.

still silence from here huh? getting anxious about this wait time haha. hopefully we'll start getting calls soon!

Anybody know why they said not to use a Mac computer to complete the secondary? Trying to figure out if I should go to the library to use a PC.

Anybody know why they said not to use a Mac computer to complete the secondary? Trying to figure out if I should go to the library to use a PC.
no just use a mac. makes no difference lol.

Also didn't expect to like middletown as much as I did. Brand new facility and it seems like they really care about their students.

Has anyone received an interview invite from Harlem?

So um, I just got an invite to do the secondary.... in November..... over 3 months after my application has been verified. Already got an acceptance and two other interviews. Wondering if I should do the secondary.

Hi Everyone,

I have an interview soon at middletown. Any advice on what to expect? what specific quality are they looking for?

So um, I just got an invite to do the secondary.... in November..... over 3 months after my application has been verified. Already got an acceptance and two other interviews. Wondering if I should do the secondary.

I just sent mine in a couple hours ago. Kind of regretting spending $200 on it when I'm not crazy about the idea of this school to begin with...

Hi Everyone,

I have an interview soon at middletown. Any advice on what to expect? what specific quality are they looking for?
I just sent mine in a couple hours ago. Kind of regretting spending $200 on it when I'm not crazy about the idea of this school to begin with...

interviewed at middletown yesterday. all the students i met loved the school. i didn't have high expectations going in either after reading all the posts on this forum but i was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. the facilities are all brand new since the school is only 3 years old. Most of the faculty are either from Harlem, other well established DO schools, and even some MD schools.

The interview was 30 mins with 2 faculty members, very conversational and low stress. their mission deals with underseved communities so remember to mention that. There are more MD faculty than DO which I thought was funny.

Also Frank, the admissions director for Middletown has to be one of the nicest guys Ive ever met. He was saying himself how the administration was trying to reduce or eliminate the secondary fee but since they're part of the Touro College system it's not up to them but to the higher ups who control everything.

That's interesting because I had somewhat of a different experience yesterday - even though the facilities are new and whatnot, but that's not going to be a reason for me to choose one school over the other. In general, the school seemed rather depressing as there really doesn't seem like there is anything to do in Middletown. I almost felt like I would be part of a Touro-Middletown bubble (since dorms are in the building). I know for me personally, that isn't an environment where I will be happy or ultimately be successful in.

The interview was very chill and relaxed; it was a pleasant experience.

I don't regret going for the interview, but the school environment, the program being new, and the mandatory attendance policy are some of the main reasons I will not be attending if accepted.

After reading more about this school, and the fact that they took 3 months to send me a secondary, have dissuaded from me applying. Add to the fact that the secondary is 200 FREAKING DOLLARS, and you basically have to write a new PS almost has made me not do the secondary. Good luck to everyone else applying here! :)

That's interesting because I had somewhat of a different experience yesterday - even though the facilities are new and whatnot, but that's not going to be a reason for me to choose one school over the other. In general, the school seemed rather depressing as there really doesn't seem like there is anything to do in Middletown. I almost felt like I would be part of a Touro-Middletown bubble (since dorms are in the building). I know for me personally, that isn't an environment where I will be happy or ultimately be successful in.

The interview was very chill and relaxed; it was a pleasant experience.

I don't regret going for the interview, but the school environment, the program being new, and the mandatory attendance policy are some of the main reasons I will not be attending if accepted.

True. I guess a big plus for me was it being close to home since I have a bunch of family + gf in the area.

True. I guess a big plus for me was it being close to home since I have a bunch of family + gf in the area.

Ah, yea family and GF are huge factors. My family's on the other side of the country, which is another reason it's not the right choice for me.

interviewed at middletown yesterday. all the students i met loved the school. i didn't have high expectations going in either after reading all the posts on this forum but i was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. the facilities are all brand new since the school is only 3 years old. Most of the faculty are either from Harlem, other well established DO schools, and even some MD schools.

The interview was 30 mins with 2 faculty members, very conversational and low stress. their mission deals with underseved communities so remember to mention that. There are more MD faculty than DO which I thought was funny.

Also Frank, the admissions director for Middletown has to be one of the nicest guys Ive ever met. He was saying himself how the administration was trying to reduce or eliminate the secondary fee but since they're part of the Touro College system it's not up to them but to the higher ups who control everything.
Thank you for your help.

I interviewed at Middletown two weeks ago, I really enjoyed the experience. Sure, the fee is $200, but its for two campuses: Harlem and Middletown, which makes it not bad comparatively.

The faculty were phenomenal, incredibly nice and personable (shout out to Frank, gave us several life lessons). They never tried to beg us to come to their school, but they wanted us to choose the right medical school for us. There was one person who seemed overly laid-back, but it was clear he would always bat for you through the ups and downs. The students, however, made the difference. They gave us tips for the interview and honest feelings about Touro. It was almost like we were their peers. The cadaver and imaging labs were very nice, as well as the relaxation/lounge spaces. I didnt like the dorms after seeing them, but about 50% live off campus anyways.

It's a bit sad when the SDN circlejerk of "lolTouro" prevents people from applying and seeing the school. Sure, I had low expectations, but I could see phenomenal physicians coming out of there.