TOURO-COM, NY or LECOM-Erie????? Need Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beastiemaa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently have been accepted into both LECOM and TOURO-NY. As of now these are the only medical schools I am considering and am having a real tough decision between the two. Below is a list of pros and cons that I have developed.

LECOM: Pros - 1. Well established (opened in early 90s). 2. Solid match list (60%-primary care and 40%-other specialties) 3. Plays a huge part in the community 4. secluded (easy to study) 5. Great faculty/facilities 6. Cheapest medical school in the country

Cons - 1. Not much to do in the town 2. I live in New Jersey and the only flight that goes directly there in from Phili-semi-inconvenient 3. Strict ass dress code

TOURO-NY: Pros-1. It is in New York City 2. My family lives in central Jersey, and I went to undergrad in NYC. All my best friends will still be there 3. Good rotation experience with hospitals in NYC (hopefully) 4. Pretty much suits my lifestyle-love the NYC scene, but won't have much time for it

Cons - 1. New and not well-established 2. During the interview the dean was really pushing the whole idea of family medicine (not that this is bad but a lot of us want to enter more specialized fields) 3. Will not see any sort of residency match list if I join since there are only two classes

I have never seen a ranking system for DO schools, but there are not many of them. From what I've seen they all seem to be the same as far as facilities and education. I could be wrong however. Please give me any insight you might have on this important decision. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

As a fellow central NJ resident I feel your pain on the situation with flights to Erie. There are a few out of newark and more out of philly with a layover in Ohio i think. I drove to erie and it wasnt so bad...its cheaper too...just really boring being on route 80 for like 400 miles. Once i get to erie and find some other NJ residents I'm thinking if a few of us are from around the same area we might even be able to carpool back to philly or something.

I cant say much about Touro (I've only heard rumors and that its very expensive) but I would prefer a more established school and one with a lower cost. Lower cost = less debt which is always good. LECOM also placed a good amount of students into fairly nice residencies.

I'd say lecom. Its 4 years of your life vs. the rest of it. Might as well if you think that lecom will give you a better chance to do what you really wanna do with medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes we make such a big deal out of match lists. Do any DO schools have notably unimpressive match lists? Touro-NY may be new, but if your friends and family are there you might be happy, especially if you already know and love New York. I wouldn't worry about academics. The only big pro for you in going to Erie, in my opinion, would be the cheaper cost. That can't be discounted lightly.

I recently have been accepted into both LECOM and TOURO-NY. As of now these are the only medical schools I am considering and am having a real tough decision between the two. Below is a list of pros and cons that I have developed.

LECOM: Pros - 1. Well established (opened in early 90s). 2. Solid match list (60%-primary care and 40%-other specialties) 3. Plays a huge part in the community 4. secluded (easy to study) 5. Great faculty/facilities 6. Cheapest medical school in the country

Cons - 1. Not much to do in the town 2. I live in New Jersey and the only flight that goes directly there in from Phili-semi-inconvenient 3. Strict ass dress code

TOURO-NY: Pros-1. It is in New York City 2. My family lives in central Jersey, and I went to undergrad in NYC. All my best friends will still be there 3. Good rotation experience with hospitals in NYC (hopefully) 4. Pretty much suits my lifestyle-love the NYC scene, but won't have much time for it

Cons - 1. New and not well-established 2. During the interview the dean was really pushing the whole idea of family medicine (not that this is bad but a lot of us want to enter more specialized fields) 3. Will not see any sort of residency match list if I join since there are only two classes

I have never seen a ranking system for DO schools, but there are not many of them. From what I've seen they all seem to be the same as far as facilities and education. I could be wrong however. Please give me any insight you might have on this important decision. Thanks.

If you can see yourself living in ERIE then go to LECOM since it's cheaper. But think about that last sentence very carefully. NYC and Erie are vastly different in terms of social life, weather, culture and even the kind of people living there. I too was tempted to apply to LECOM but as someone coming from NYC(and went to undergrad here), I knew I couldn't handle that kind of switch. I'll be depressed in a week!Furthermore, your social network-family and friends- is in New York. After a hard day in biochem class, hanging out with friends or family can be a really good way to relax and a great support system.

Touro-NY is new but I think it'll make a name for itself. We are getting new hospital rotations and just secured Lenox Hospital. Also the school focuses on urban medicine so you'll be learning medicine in densely populated areas where you will be exposed to complex and unique pathologies in every area of specialty.
The 3rd rotations are kinda spread out evenly so that each of your core rotations are neither too long or too short( get taste for each). After that, you have 2 months electives to do whatever.In 4th year, you have 8 weeks which you can use for interviews (vacation/board review allocation). Something lacking at Erie(I heard they have 5 days). Lastly, you are given 6 weeks to study for the boards.

im in the same predicament OP

but i see it like, NYC will always be there, and people from ERIE can do rotations in NYC if they really want, plus its not that far. THen again i grew up in MD and am from a suburban area but i went to a HUGE state school at UMD home of the TERPS baby

but i see it like, whichever school is more established, it can only help you. Plus i saw touro as having too many kinks that their working out. If your going to pay that much money for medical education, you should atleast have it established without changes you know?

just my two cents, i havent made my decision yet

I agree with all the statements posted and thank you for your responses. Now it seems that some of you have interviewed/been accepted to TOURO NY. I must say, there were times I thought that there whole process of things seemed very unprofessional. For instance, Obed, the main administrator showed up right before we about to leave (around 12:30 pm). Since Obed was not there, some of the deans (Dr. Diamond/Dr. Levine) came in and tried to open up conversation and give us more insight into osteopathic medicine/ "the dangers of specialities". Anyways a student asked them how we are notified of getting our acceptances, and they were damn sure that it was through certified mail. However, when Obed came in later, he said it was though e-mail. Now come on, the school has been around for over a year and they are not sure how notifications are sent out? Also, sending acceptances/rejections/waitlists via email seems a tad bit unprofessional. Also, the student that gave us the tour was a flat out tool (and not in a nerdy way). Again, this school may be good in 7-10 years, but can I bank on it being good by the time I graduate. If any of you do go there currently, what is the student body like? Please share more views. Thanks.

I agree with all the statements posted and thank you for your responses. Now it seems that some of you have interviewed/been accepted to TOURO NY. I must say, there were times I thought that there whole process of things seemed very unprofessional. For instance, Obed, the main administrator showed up right before we about to leave (around 12:30 pm). Since Obed was not there, some of the deans (Dr. Diamond/Dr. Levine) came in and tried to open up conversation and give us more insight into osteopathic medicine/ "the dangers of specialities". Anyways a student asked them how we are notified of getting our acceptances, and they were damn sure that it was through certified mail. However, when Obed came in later, he said it was though e-mail. Now come on, the school has been around for over a year and they are not sure how notifications are sent out? Also, sending acceptances/rejections/waitlists via email seems a tad bit unprofessional. Also, the student that gave us the tour was a flat out tool (and not in a nerdy way). Again, this school may be good in 7-10 years, but can I bank on it being good by the time I graduate. If any of you do go there currently, what is the student body like? Please share more views. Thanks.

I don't think you need someone to convince you about going to a particular school. People start out excited about a certain school only to be bitter and apprehensive 2 years later. Some start out a little concerned and end up very happy being there. You can never be certain what the outcome will be at any school. We all go in with a measured amount of faith.

If you feel a particular school is not right for you or you have doubts, then probably don't enroll there. But I personally rarely go with "feelings" because the human mind can change as fast as the weather. My interview at NYCOM didn't go well either. They scheduled a photoshoot the same day as our interview so we ended up not being able to view the human patient simulators. Also none of the deans showed up to talk to us and our interview was only 5 minutes. These, however, were not the reasons I turned down my acceptance. I turned it down because of the cost, didn't want to drive from Brooklyn to Long Island everyday and didn't like the class size.
Schools interview hundereds of students yearly and sometimes some don't go smoothly as planned.

You can PM Gold 5 and Jess since they are current students enrolled there(Touro). But in the end, you have to come to your own decision.

Definitely don't base it on interviews. I was in the first interview group of Interviewers came in 15 mins late and one didn't even know she was interviewing. She was visably upset, but hey I got in so base it on living standards, reputation, and education

So Andextrous, I agree with what you are saying. I also noticed that it is usually better to study where you will be happy. But in the end, I don't mind sacrificing two years to study somewhere and end up with a better match. Again I am not saying that Touro won't have any good matches, but we still don't know. May I ask what field you want to enter, as well as some of your classmates?

Tool that is funny. I think some of the students are trying to put the best foot forward for the school if you will but I have yet to meet a real tool or gunner in the school.

My two cents:
Like most things in life, what you get out of the school is very dependent upon what you put in to it. The effort you put in is much more important than the title on the the front of the building. For the first two years I would bet both schools are very, very similar unless you go the PBL route in LECOM. Both schools probably have a very similar lecture hall that all your classes are in and the books are probably the same. The big plus for LECOM is that your rotations are already set up. I am hopefull that by the time I get to rotations this issue will be resolveved via our first class (the trailblazers in the class of 2011). Hopefully our rotations keep us in the city where we can see lots of pathology and they have housing:). In short pick a place that you can see yourslef living around for 4 years.

Your effort will determine where you go in life more than the school name.
Gold

So Andextrous, I agree with what you are saying. I also noticed that it is usually better to study where you will be happy. But in the end, I don't mind sacrificing two years to study somewhere and end up with a better match. Again I am not saying that Touro won't have any good matches, but we still don't know. May I ask what field you want to enter, as well as some of your classmates?

I'm not a student yet. Hope to matriculate this fall. Concerning my field of interest, I'm leaning towards radiology or , depending on how my 3rd year rotation goes, "cushy" surgical fields like ENT or urology.Keeping an open mind though.

I'm not a student yet. Hope to matriculate this fall. Concerning my field of interest, I'm leaning towards radiology or , depending on how my 3rd year rotation goes, "cushy" surgical fields like ENT or urology.Keeping an open mind though.

I will pass on the advice I have recieved. Hold off until 3/4 year to pick your specialty to see what you like. As for the school pushing you into PC / family care, they may speak to you about how great it is or isn't, they will not pick your specialty. Only you pick what you want to do!

Good Luck,
Gold

I will pass on the advice I have recieved. Hold off until 3/4 year to pick your specialty to see what you like. As for the school pushing you into PC / family care, they may speak to you about how great it is or isn't, they will not pick your specialty. Only you pick what you want to do!

Good Luck,
Gold

Are you referring to me or beastiemaa? Haven't made up my mind yet but those are the fields I'm leaning towards right now. I don't think there is anything wrong with having some aspirations before starting school as long you are not "gung ho" about it and keep an open mind about other specialties.

Are you referring to me or beastiemaa? Haven't made up my mind yet but those are the fields I'm leaning towards right now. I don't think there is anything wrong with having some aspirations before starting school as long you are not "gung ho" about it and keep an open mind about other specialties.

More beastiemaa, nothing wrong with shooting for the stars, it keeps us all going. My concern would be more if you where saying "Oh I just want to go into family practice so I just need to get a 70 to pass in the first two years" Then just pass your boards then go on rotations and realize that Ortho surgery is you. That would suck.

Of course not. We all want to do well and do not want to do the minimum. As for myself, I won't get much from the professors or classes. It will come down to how much work I put in. I am not too worried about the way I learn the material, but in the end it DOES come down to hospitals having some affiliation with the school. And you know, I am sure in three or four years most hospitals in nyc and ny will recognize touro. It will be hard next year and the year after, but I hope the students are giving the school a good name and I do know that the Dean is fairly well connected. But you know, in the end these arguments on all of these forums are so cyclical. I know plenty of kids who got into schools like Mt Sinai and Tufts, but chose UMDNJ Newark. Why? Because it was cheaper and closer to home. In the end, these students knew as long as they did well they would get what they wanted (for the most part). I think that goes with DO schools to. I mean, there are only 28 of them. How selective can the residencies around the US be to certain DO programs? There just aren't that many where they can say, "Oh well this person is from PCOM, lets take him instead of the guy from this newer school in Vegas". I doubt it works like that. I think that as long as you GO to school in the US and NOT the CARIBBEAN, you will be fine.

Of course not. We all want to do well and do not want to do the minimum. As for myself, I won't get much from the professors or classes. It will come down to how much work I put in. I am not too worried about the way I learn the material, but in the end it DOES come down to hospitals having some affiliation with the school. And you know, I am sure in three or four years most hospitals in nyc and ny will recognize touro. It will be hard next year and the year after, but I hope the students are giving the school a good name and I do know that the Dean is fairly well connected. But you know, in the end these arguments on all of these forums are so cyclical. I know plenty of kids who got into schools like Mt Sinai and Tufts, but chose UMDNJ Newark. Why? Because it was cheaper and closer to home. In the end, these students knew as long as they did well they would get what they wanted (for the most part). I think that goes with DO schools to. I mean, there are only 28 of them. How selective can the residencies around the US be to certain DO programs? There just aren't that many where they can say, "Oh well this person is from PCOM, lets take him instead of the guy from this newer school in Vegas". I doubt it works like that. I think that as long as you GO to school in the US and NOT the CARIBBEAN, you will be fine.

I agree cheap is a good aproach to picking a school. Just make sure that you are comfortable with the school and that you have some type of support system around if possible. Family / friends really do help especialy if this will be the first time you are being academically challenged.
Good Luck
Gold