Touro Harlem (2021) vs Downstate(2022) Please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

savytricks

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am kinda conflicted into what to do. So I have been accepted to Touro since February and just received a conditional acceptance to Downstate for next year through their Bridges program. I like Downstate better but I don’t know if it makes sense to turn down an acceptance for this year to attend. I am more conflicted also since I don’t know if i am interested in certain specialties and I don’t want to add more hurdles to my journey.

Downstate:
pros: P/F preclinical years, cheaper tuition (17k less), USMLE only and masters in physiology after the program
cons: program cost $11,000, 1 year lost and program requirements (B’s) and higher

Touro
Pros: starting now
Cons: higher tuition, COMLEX & USMLE

thanks in advance for the advice guys!

Members don't see this ad.

whats the conditions of your acceptance at downstate? just passing classes vs getting straight A's will change my answer

The only condition is that I must maintain a overall B average in the program. It has 6 required classes taken with the incoming medical class

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate will definitely keep more doors open for you than Touro. I would go with Downstate and try to make some connections/shadowing while you are taking the classes to figure out what your career goals are earlier rather than later.