Touro Harlem,NY ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Right now there are about 106 MD schools and 20 DO schools in the US. At what number do you think DO schools will plateau at?

What are the requirements to open a DO school? What does the AOA take into account when deciding where to build schools?

Members don't see this ad.

OHMAN0125 said:
The problem I have is that the AOA or whoever accredits these things is going to flood the market in like 50 years. It probably wont affect us in our careers but it's going to turn out like law school, and only those going to top schools will land jobs in the future. Oh well...i'll be retired by then I hope.

i can see your point.. but you gotta understand that this is AMERICA-- home of capitalism.. if it brings in money and there's demand for it, it will be built.. DO schools are just catering to the supply-demand of medical labor economics.. can you really blame them?

like you said, it "probably wont affect us in our careers," and it'll be decades before anything really happens. i dont think it'll be like law schools, because relatively speaking, its much easier getting into an "easy" law school than it is to get into a med school..

let's face it, getting into med school is a BITCH. the process of LORs from profs and docs, transcripts, getting good grades, MCAT-- the whole thing in and of itself supresses applicant pools so that not EVERYONE with a high gpa applies. as long as new med schools abide by these same standards, it will shy away the general population and there will always be a labor shortage, to some extent.. i'm not worried about it, it wont affect me or any of us in the near future

chuckcamp said:
i can see your point.. but you gotta understand that this is AMERICA-- home of capitalism.. if it brings in money and there's demand for it, it will be built.. DO schools are just catering to the supply-demand of medical labor economics.. can you really blame them?

like you said, it "probably wont affect us in our careers," and it'll be decades before anything really happens. i dont think it'll be like law schools, because relatively speaking, its much easier getting into an "easy" law school than it is to get into a med school..

let's face it, getting into med school is a BITCH. the process of LORs from profs and docs, transcripts, getting good grades, MCAT-- the whole thing in and of itself supresses applicant pools so that not EVERYONE with a high gpa applies. as long as new med schools abide by these same standards, it will shy away the general population and there will always be a labor shortage, to some extent.. i'm not worried about it, it wont affect me or any of us in the near future

Hey Chuck I like the cut of your jib. :laugh: It's true the US is based on capitalism. That is why doctors make more here in the first place compared to the rest of the world. Guess I really can't blame them, if I were them I may do the same thing to bring in more money. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
OHMAN0125 said:
Hey Chuck I like the cut of your jib. :laugh: It's true the US is based on capitalism. That is why doctors make more here in the first place compared to the rest of the world. Guess I really can't blame them, if I were them I may do the same thing to bring in more money. :smuggrin:

indeed, it is capitalism.. only in america does someone who is paid to throw an oblong shaped ball to another person, or someone who is paid to put a ball through a hoop, or someone who is paid to hit a ball with a bat make MORE money than someone who is paid to SAVE LIVES..

as physicians-in-training (or wannabe physicians-in-training, like me :p ), i say dont worry about the economic side of the business and just worry about doing what you love doing.. the money and job opportunities will come, regardless of if ur a football, basketball, or baseball player or if you are a physician.. as long as you love what you're doing, it'll all pan out in the end

Not yet sorry man.

No problem, if you find out please post for us to know. Thanks alot.

bkpa2med said:
No problem, if you find out please post for us to know. Thanks alot.

I promise that the minute I find out I will post.

Hey guys,
Sorry I havn't been around to much. I havn't been able to reach the guy at all. I'll post when I get the info. If anyone else can find out, that would be great.

USArmyDoc said:
Hey guys,
Sorry I havn't been around to much. I havn't been able to reach the guy at all. I'll post when I get the info. If anyone else can find out, that would be great.

i think you're getting enjoyment out of torturing us with this touro harlem thing :p

if they do start up a school for 2007 matriculation, do you think they'd have enough time to create one? so far, i've heard no groundbreaking of a school ih harlem as of yet..

cee said:
i think you're getting enjoyment out of torturing us with this touro harlem thing :p

if they do start up a school for 2007 matriculation, do you think they'd have enough time to create one? so far, i've heard no groundbreaking of a school ih harlem as of yet..

:eek:

Well, maybe they would use another facility like for example, the Sophie Davis Biomedical School in Harlem.

I haven't heard the exact plans. Did anyone find out anything yet?

box29 said:
I haven't heard the exact plans. Did anyone find out anything yet?
Box29, since you're a TUCOM-NV student, I would like to know your opinion about Touro opening up another school. Also, have other students in your class expressed their opinions about this issue?

Oops...duplicate

I can't speak for my fellow classmates but I was a little shocked to hear this as well. Touro-NV has been treating me well. I think we are definitely a student friendly school (I'm not saying that the others aren't but we are a small institution and the open door policy is wide open). What makes us a little different is that we are adding opportunities to the post graduate training programs. There are many plans for residencies and fellowships. What bothered me about the new school opening was that perhaps they could use that money to revamp programs at Touro-MI and here. Perhaps they could have funded more research or school based clinics for the existing programs.

I believe they may be spreading themselves thin. I'm not sure what the strategic plan is but I think it should be re-evaluated to further improve the programs that already exist.

I would hope that when this Harlem campus opens that they will add more GME programs. At least Touro-NV is/will be contributing to post graduate training.

HunterGatherer said:
Harlem=NYC

Have you been in Harlem in the last 6 years? Check out rising home prices in Harlem. Regentrification.
Regentrification?????

Do you really talk like that? :laugh:

guys, can we let this thread die already.. it is obvious that USArmyDoc was yanking our chain :rolleyes:

ANOTHER DO SCHOOL????
OMG THIS IS CRAZY. I guess you can open more up when you don't have your own hospital, don't emphasize research, or make your own residencies.
BTW> I have nothing against DOs. I will be able to work hand in hand w/ them and find them to be excellent docs (YES I AM A DREADED ALLOPATH IN YOUR FORUM). The problem I have is that the AOA or whoever accredits these things is going to flood the market in like 50 years. It probably wont affect us in our careers but it's going to turn out like law school, and only those going to top schools will land jobs in the future. Oh well...i'll be retired by then I hope.
Also, i agree w/ spreading education, but we all have to protect our profession and our livelihood as well. Dont pretend like all you care about is the "world". NOONE IS A SAINT. (Just in case anyone puts me down and accuses me of wanting to stop education).

DISCLAIMER: I did not do research on this topic. It is only my opinions. LOL.

...lol