Touro- Las Vegas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From the website:

The proposed medical school would open in fall 2004 with a class of 60 to 75 students and a staff of about 18, Blackwell said.

Hmmmm. Are they adding more seats to this years interviews for this school?

I also heard something about LECOM having an expansion in Tampa as well.

Anyone know anymore on how they are admitting to these?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, that made my day.

So, if you interview with TUCOM and get accepted - can you volunteer to go to the Vegas campus? Don't know how much studying I'd get done - but it would sure be an adventure!!

:hardy:

Good grief, thats all we need... ANOTHER new medical school.

That makes 10 new MD + DO programs in the last 12 years.

Does anybody know if osteopathic residency spots are increasing at similar rates? That's where the focus needs to be now, if there's going to be all these new schools opening up, because where do they expect the students to get their post-graduate training afterwards?

Originally posted by MacGyver
Good grief, thats all we need... ANOTHER new medical school.

That makes 10 new MD + DO programs in the last 12 years.

Here is a intresting position. There is a need for health care for underserved areas, especially rural ones. Add in the economics of of supply and demand with schools. If you do the math there is money to be made by private schools, especially if you doing 30K tuition a year. Then you could add in the the ideals of flooding certain markets and the quality of education the med students receive. Just is some food for thought.

There are more osteopathic graduates than there are osteopathic spots.

Private DO schools are one of the biggest money making schemes out there. No lie. I'd open one if I could.

Q, DO

Originally posted by QuinnNSU
Private DO schools are one of the biggest money making schemes out there.

I'm with you on this one, especially for certain schools.

Originally posted by luckystar
I'm with you on this one, especially for certain schools.

I have a lot of angst/issues regarding the whole private DO school proliferation as of late, even with my alma mater, but I will refrain.

Q, DO

What really vexes me is that the schools who want to open satelite branches haven't really been around long enough themselves.

TUCOM (with its plan for a TUCOM LV) and LECOM (with its plan for LECOM FL) are less than 10 years old themselves.

Their MO seems to be to open, graduate a few class to show that they weren't screwing up, then decided to open satelite campuses to have more students (more money).

Also, since these new campuses are "satelites" and not new schools, I believe they won't have to go through AOA accreditation.

Of course, another alternative explanation is that these schools want to expose more people to osteopathic medicine.

Right now there are no branch or satelite campuses (unless you want to call CCOM and AZCOM branch campuses of Midwestern U - but that's stretching it).

What I fear is a proliferation of "satelite" campuses that does not need AOA approval. It will bring us back to the time of A.T. Still, where osteopathic colleges popped up like wild flowers, and there were "quality" schools and "shady schools". That's the last thing we need to worry about (in the future).