Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks guys! Yeah, I'll be driving there from the south. We are making the drive from Texas, but the final stretch will be Bakersfield - Vallejo!

Also, just got back from Body Worlds!!! I took my students to Dallas for the exhibit and it was amazing!!! Has the exhibit already toured the SF area? I would love to see it again. It was soooo much worth it!

Members don't see this ad.

I saw that in London!!! It was awesome!!! I would LOVE to see it again!

So my future roomie and I discussed the drive today, and it looks like we'll be leaving Tallahassee on July 1st, and should be arriving on the 7th!, ahhh soo soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
omg... that is one hell of a drive,l ol.

gee, i can't imagine driving that long!!! good luck on the drive and it's a good thing you have a friend to keep you company.

i checked out the website for Body Worlds and it looks awesome!!! if they actually come to SF, I'd definitely check it out...we never get cool things like that here in Hawaii :(

We are stopping by to see a couple friends on the way, so it's taking a little longer, but yea, it's going to be a LONG drive. We are going 13 hours the first day and almost 12 the second lol

That's gonna be a heck of a trip. Are you guys transporting a lot of furniture?? I am concerned that not all of our furniture will fit in the 14' Uhaul truck. We rented a 2bd/2ba.

I can't wait to watch an Oakland A's match!!

BTW I just checked on upcoming Body Worlds events and SF is not listed as a prior site or an upcoming site. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will be a hosting city in the next round.

That's gonna be a heck of a trip. Are you guys transporting a lot of furniture?? I am concerned that not all of our furniture will fit in the 14' Uhaul truck. We rented a 2bd/2ba.

I can't wait to watch an Oakland A's match!!

No we are not. My parents are going to ship out a couch for us, but we are going to get most of the furniture once we are there (minus electronics). Most of what I have currently is in need of upgrading, but more importantly it would just be nightmare to bring a Uhaul all the way from here anyhow. I'm going to have to end up shipping some other things as well though as my car is relatively small.

YaY for Oakland A's Baseball and Whoo Hoo for the Warriors! We should all hit up some A's games this summer!

Is anyone on facebook? I saw some other class groups from other schools with groups on facebook that looked like it was working... I have a myspace account but its pretty much barren as I am a classic facebooker and have exerted no time in developing the myspace page....

Or some Giants games ... but as anyone would say the A's are infinitely better than the giants .... :p

giants better than A's? this guy is trippin.... lol

I just made a group for us on facebook. This thing is so fun! hahahahahahaha..

touro mare island class of 2011

join join join!!!

and if yuo do join, put your name on there, or like you are part of the class, I closed the thing so you have to get approved by me i guess. w0000t!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just made a group for us on facebook. This thing is so fun! hahahahahahaha..

touro mare island class of 2011

join join join!!!

and if yuo do join, put your name on there, or like you are part of the class, I closed the thing so you have to get approved by me i guess. w0000t!

I requested to join -- Ben

And I'd definitely be down for a baseball game!

Hey all,

This is an apartment complex that's very popular with Touro students. Glen Cove is about a 10min drive to campus. This complex was formerly known as "Spyglass." Lots of the units have water views. They have unit to buy and to rent.

A pharm student named Crystal Joy Canlas sent out this email to the school:

If anyone is interested in purchasing a condo (2 bed/2bath), the Seabridge complex are having their grand opening this Saturday, May 5 from 12-4pm. There will be food, prizes, and music. There is a $2000 referral reward if you are serious about purchasing a unit and we could split that amount. Let me know if you are interested. Thanks!!

Here is the website:
http://seabridgeliving.com/home.htm

Crystal Joy Canlas
PharmD Candidate 2009
Touro University- California
Email: [email protected]"​

Bryan

Is anyone still looking for roomates/housing on mare island or near school? if so lets throw around some ideas. Also for those of you who have already figured out your housing, are you starting your lease in August or do most places want you to start in June or July?

Hey class of 2011!!

Is anyone planning on living farther out from school? I would like to live in the Berkeley/Emeryville and was wondering if anyone knew of any good places.

does anyone know Touro's email address or phone number that I could call to cancel my interview? Thank you !

So the facebook group is started ... thanks for the initiative!!

As for the number or address you could find it on www.tu.edu

It should be on the letter that they sent to offer an interview. Just curious, why was this question posted on the Class of 2011 if the person is not interested in attending Touro?

Hey guys...would anyone be interested in renting a 4bed/2.5 bath on the Island starting either June or July (pref. June)...PM for the details! Thanks and congrats to all those who have been accepted!

It should be on the letter that they sent to offer an interview. Just curious, why was this question posted on the Class of 2011 if the person is not interested in attending Touro?

thanks for the info. It's not that I'm not interested in Touro but my interview is tomorrow, it's too late in the process and the class is pretty much full. I don't see I have a chance there. I don't know where to ask but for sure the class of 2011 would know their school number. Thank you again!

I believe that Touro still has seats available, though probably few. If you interviewed favorably you could get the option of a guaranteed spot for 2012.

Hey class of 2011,
Welcome to Vallejo. If you are still looking for room and board, I and another 2010 COM students are currently seeking roomate. We lived in a 4 bd 2.5 bath 3 car garage house located in Glend Cove, nicer part of town. The master bd ($555) and another bdrm($515) is available. Ultilities are separate (~$100/month). My roomate and I will be here until end of Block, then we'll split for our last summer. So email [email protected] or call 713-252-6453. Ask for Duy (Yui)

Hey guys,

I will be starting at TUCOM in August; however, it looks like I will miss the first two days of mandatory orientation which purportedly begins on August 15th. Could any current students advise me of what I will be missing, or whether I should make every possible effort to get there on the 15th of August. Thanks again!

Touro moves quickly on M.I. village
By J.M. BROWN/Times-Herald staff writer
Article Launched: 05/07/2007 07:17:24 AM PDT

(link)

In the world of large-scale developments, patience is a virtue. After decades of planning, ground has yet to be broken on waterfront and downtown revitalization projects.

But when a developer is motivated and well-monied, things tend to move a bit quicker.

Such is the case with Touro University's ambitious scheme for the north end of Mare Island, a ragged chunk of waterfront land that needs a major infrastructure overhaul before the school can build its Oz-like "university village."

The 191-acre site would in-clude biotech firms, classrooms, a conference center, retail outlets, coffee shops and housing for students and faculty.

"This is moving at a very fast pace," said Susan McCue, Vallejo's economic development manager. "We're making good progress on all fronts."

Four months after the city entered into talks with Touro, the City Council will get an update Tuesday on the financing and design plans. The special study session will begin at 6:30 p.m. in City Council Chambers at 555 Santa Clara St.

Jim Mitchell, a former Vallejo Main Street director who recently became Touro's spokesman, said it has secured financing for the entire project, which could cost up to $500 million.

Design and infrastructure plans are
Advertisement
still in the works, but Touro and its builder will offer updated pictures Tuesday about what they want to build on the land bordered by Azuar Drive, the Mare Island Strait, G Street and Highway 37.

City officials have met weekly with Touro officials, who have submitted plans for demolishing current buildings, establishing infrastructure, and developing future land use. Touro has also agreed to cover costs related to the Navy's clean-up of contaminated property.

It's too early, officials say, to know whether all the issues will be settled by a July deadline, after which the city manager can extend talks. The council will eventually decide whether to award Touro the project.

Councilman Tom Bartee said he supports the plans because biotech businesses want the kind of affordable employee housing and room to expand offered by Mare Island.

But, Bartee said he is concerned whether Touro will seek nonprofit status, a concern repeatedly raised by the island's master developer, home builder Lennar Mare Island LLC.

Bartee said he wants to "ensure that we end up with a good percentage of development out there that will provide additional tax base to the city."

If you go:

What: Vallejo City Council, special study session on Touro University's plans for North Mare Island

When: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday

Where: Council Chambers, 555 Santa Clara St.

Mitchell said Touro has no current plans to see non-profit status.

E-mail J.M. Brown at [email protected] or call 553-6834.

To incoming and current Touro students, your opinions please:
I have a month to month lease in an awesome house in Berkeley. I'm doing the evening MPH program and find the drive to be all right so far.
Anyone else thinking of staying in their current locations and rigging up a carpool (I envision something like Dagwood of Blondie fame) or still looking for a person to create a new household?
the weather on the island:
currently excellent

sidenote: when a good chunk of the class gets out to the area, how about a croquet party? croquet, beer and ridiculous hats? and cookies

I am all for the rediculous hats .... and the beer .... :laugh:

So when are we going to get the academic calendar for the year?

now thats a good question.... One of the first years told me they didn't get theirs until a few weeks before they started.... :thumbdown: plus... I don't think it helps any that our program is being "reformated"...:confused:

Okay, so here's my sob story. I'm starting to freak out a little bit. My husband and I are on our own here in Texas. My parent's don't have anything to do with me and his parents live in Malaysia and are really struggling financially. We had money saved up to move but his sister had a crisis and we had to lend her the money.

Basically our problem is that we thought he would be able to get a job from here over the internet. He has a degree in industrial engineering from Singapore and a bachelor's degree in Industrial Pshychology from here in Texas. Does anyone who lives there know of any jobs he might try for. We've been using all the job search engines, but I think employers are iffy about choosing someone over the internet. I know it would be good if we could just move there and apply, but that's just not really a possibility for us right now. I'm just hoping he can get something soon because it will be difficult for us to move otherwise. I would really appreciate any suggestions anyone might have.:oops:

DO 4 life,

That's a tough situation you're in. I can vouch for the scarce job availbility in Vallejo b/c my husband has not been able to find one over the internet either and he has a degree as well. I am currently in Texas too.

Have you tried contacting the Vallejo Chamber of Commerce? My husband contacted them and found out that they hold special events one day a week to link degreed individuals or others looking for jobs in specific fields.

Would he consider a temporary job in education? They do offer alternative certifactions for degreed candidates.

I wish you the best of luck in the process. I'll let you know how it works later on when we arrive to Vallejo. We should be there by the beginning of June as we leave on May 31st.

Has Touro deposited your tuition deposit checks that were due on the 15th??

I am just wondering since I sent mine back in late April and it still hasn't posted to my checking account. :eek:

I paid with my card when I was out there finding an apartment, and it was charged. But it may be because I did it out there, I would call and verify though.

Thanks for the advice GProtien, I hadn't even thought of job fairs. We're actually planning on living down around the east bay and I'll commute. I'm hoping maybe he'll have a better chance of finding jobs there. Good luck to you and your husband:)

I live here in Vallejo (Glen Cove) so if there is anything I can help with let me know. I don't know if your husband would be interested in this but he may want to check out the Federal Jobs website. My hsuband is an electrical engineer and works for the Veteran's Administration.

If I can help answer any questions about the area let me know.

Terra

Ok so I need advice!!! I have been accepted for the Health Professions Scholarship Program through the Air Force... but I am a little apprehensive in signing on that dotted line. I have heard they screw you over for residency matching... anyone know someone who has done this scholarship or who is a physician in the military??? If so please let me know what they think of the whole thing!!! Thanks, - kris

are you on the mailing list?...ask about it there, my future roomie is doing the same thing, but for the Navy.

At the risk of sharing too much of my life/world view, I have this to say:

Maybe it's the California girl in me, but I would never sign away years of my life to the military for some financial help for the education in my chosen profession. While it may be nice to be relatively debt-free when you finish, you will have to give years of service in return. If you're hesitating now, think about what it may feel like when you've finished your training and can't practice as you'd like before you complete your service. Or what it would be like if you were sent off to a foreign country as part of your duties. I would consider this very carefully. Then again, I don't know you or your motivations for wanting to take a military scholarship, but if it's only financially motivated, please consider very carefully. Life is short and freedom may be worth the price. Think big picture! Good luck.

My husband did ROTC for undergrad and has spent 5 years active duty. That of course is really different than what your doing - sometimes recruiters "forget" to emphasize that you are signing up for the real military - you may be sent to war or have to live places you would never choose or make modified career decisions. If you have additional reasons than financial (as in you would still join without it) then do it. If not, I would think about it really carefully because being in the military is a lifestyle in addition to being a job.

The class of 2010 has finished exams... we are now 2nd years and you my friends, are officially the first years!!!!:hardy: :hardy:

Has Touro deposited your tuition deposit checks that were due on the 15th??

I am just wondering since I sent mine back in late April and it still hasn't posted to my checking account. :eek:

The financial aid office is a little bogged down right now processing all of the financial aid renewals for all of the current students and for you guys as well. The 3rd and 4th years get paid before everyone else (they're not on campus), and there's a lot of paperwork. They'll cash your check, and then turn right back around and hand it back to you in the form of a credit to your tuition account, which will increase your student aid refund that you get this year by 3,000 (I can't remember if it was split into 2 disbursements--Fall/Spring--or not).

So when are we going to get the academic calendar for the year?

You won't get one mailed to you, if you're waiting for that. They should send you an email (once the listserve is up--don't hold your breath) telling you where to access your schedule online, what books to buy (topic for a later time) and all that good stuff. It's May. You still have 3 months of freedom left. USE it, I beg of you.

The financial aid office is a little bogged down right now processing all of the financial aid renewals for all of the current students and for you guys as well. The 3rd and 4th years get paid before everyone else (they're not on campus), and there's a lot of paperwork. They'll cash your check, and then turn right back around and hand it back to you in the form of a credit to your tuition account, which will increase your student aid refund that you get this year by 3,000 (I can't remember if it was split into 2 disbursements--Fall/Spring--or not).
Yeah, the office is very slow in returning e-mails or phone calls. Anyways, here's my questions and I hope I can get some quick answers here. So I've already received and accepted the financial awards. I only accepted the subsidized, unsubsidized and work study awards, and I declined the Gradplus loan. My question is if by any chance I want to adjust the aids that I already accepted, for example decline the work study and accept some of the Gradplus loan (because I'm not sure if I will have time to work when school starts), how do I change it and is there a deadline to do so? Also does anyone know where to send the in school deferment request form? Thanks~~

Yeah, the office is very slow in returning e-mails or phone calls. Anyways, here's my questions and I hope I can get some quick answers here. So I've already received and accepted the financial awards. I only accepted the subsidized, unsubsidized and work study awards, and I declined the Gradplus loan. My question is if by any chance I want to adjust the aids that I already accepted, for example decline the work study and accept some of the Gradplus loan (because I'm not sure if I will have time to work when school starts), how do I change it and is there a deadline to do so? Also does anyone know where to send the in school deferment request form? Thanks~~

1)You WON'T have time to work. I'll save you the suspense. Plus, work study is only 10 an hour or so and they limit your hours to 20 a week. Do the grad plus, save yourself from having to deal with, among 54 credit hours a year, financial worries. You don't want to be worrying about where rent is coming from during blocks, do you?

2)You can apply for Grad Plus anytime of the year. However, do know that the process will take about a month or so, so DON'T find out November that you need extra money in November. You won't get it in time.

3)As far as the deferment goes, I think the school took care of it, but call Financial aid just to make sure (707-638-5280).

4)Make sure you signed your master promissory note with your provider that's doing the Staffords. Don't assume the school will send you one, because they might not. Contact your providor directly and ask to sign the MPN online. My guess is that your provider is Wachovia, but if it's someone different, my advice doesn't change. If you don't sign it online (and make sure just in case anyway that your provider has a signed MPN) then you'll be showing up to the Bursar's office during orientation with the rest of your class and your check won't be there.

Good luck with everything. You'll all (those interested) be matched with a Big Sib later (like around July) who will hopefully help you along with some of your impending questions that I'm sure you'll all have, just like we did when we were in your shoes a year ago.

That being said, DON'T freak out and buy everything on the "REQUIRED BOOKS" list. You'll spend about 2,000 and end up using pitifully little of it, and truth be told, they don't always recommend the best texts. More advice to come at orientation. There'll be plenty of us 2nd years at your orientation for the "break out" sessions and we'll be able to answer most of your questions there, EXCEPT curriculum questions. Your curriculum is completely different than ours, and we'll still be on the old one next year. You're the first and the only class thus far to have the new one, so you know as much as we do at this point. Any more questions, feel free to PM me.

Congrats to the now officially 2nd years!! and thanks for all of the advice you have given us over the past few months.

Wow! Next week is the big road trip to Vallejo and I couldn't be more excited! :banana: I'm definitely looking forward to chillin' and enjoying the beautiful outdoors before the school year starts. :cool:

Hope you all are having a great time enjoying your last days of freedom! :)

So, my husband just got majorly demoted (people in this small town are kind of scared of people from foreign countries). He's basically been forced to put in his two week notice, so we are thinking he needs to just go to the bay area and start looking for jobs. I thought maybe someone who lives over there could use some extra cash. If my husband could come out there and stay with someone for $100per week on either the East Bay or San Fran side it would really help us because he could be there and look for jobs and find us a place to live. We were thinking to send him out there June 12 throught June 28. All he needs is a couch :oops: He's a really sweet quiet guy......