Touro - Mare Island Class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone send me or post the health forms, or immunization requirements? I looked through this forum and could not find anything. I have an appointment Monday for Hep B vaccine and I'd like to get everything at once if I can.

http://www.tucom.edu/tucomforms.htm

Members don't see this ad.

So the post about required vs. not-required classes got me thinking. What would you estimate is the average amount of time people spend on studying per week? How many hours of non-required class are there per week? I guess I guess I am just trying to get an idea of the actual time commitment.

That's a good question...I was a bit curious about that one as well. Also, bth, could you explain what you think will make the new curriculum better than the old one? they didn't really go over it much during my interview.

thanks!!!

I wrote a little something on this a while ago.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4355161&postcount=32

Hope this helps a bit. My advice would be to not think about it too much. Just know that people are trying to make the curriculum better.

bh

Members don't see this ad :)
So the post about required vs. not-required classes got me thinking. What would you estimate is the average amount of time people spend on studying per week? How many hours of non-required class are there per week? I guess I guess I am just trying to get an idea of the actual time commitment.

Well . . . you could look at this year's first year schedule to get a rough idea.

I know there's several mysterious acronyms in there. The required classes each week are:
#1 OMM lab (one morning / week for 2 hours.)
#2 Histology lab (one morning / week for 2 hours.)
#3 Anatomy lab (Tues afternoon)
#4 Thursday afternoon (Physical Diagnosis & Neurology lab)

That's it. Everything else is optional. Generally, you won't have a required class on Monday or Friday.

Second year the schedule goes to 3 morning of labs per week at 10 am. Path, OMM, PCS. Each on morning for 2 hours. That's pretty much it for required second year. Hard to believe that one could only show up at one's med school for 6 hours per week . . . but that's actually how the majority of second years attend, especially at his point in the game.

Allow me to define "required." I'm using that to mean you that your attendance at said event is part of the grading of the course. "Optional" means attendance is not taken. It doesn't mean that your not responsible for the info referred to in class.

How do most people get this info? Most lectures are powerpoint lectures. The ppt slides are distributed electronically or in paper format depending on professor. There's also a syllabus, old tests, and books of course.

Estimates as to how much people study per week? Varies WIDELY. I know students who literally study EVERY night of EVERY week till 11p and then get up at 7 and start again. On the other end of the extreme, I know people who NEVER study except the week-end before blocks.

Most of us are somewhere in between. The weird thing for me about med school, especially at first, was that I never felt like I was done studying . . . no matter how much time I'd put in. You can study any topic for a lifetime and still not be an expert, open any page in Netter's anatomy and you quickly experience this phenomenon. The human body's sort of rad like that. Additionally, there's this new type of pressure people experience in med school. People not only have the pressure to pass the classes, they want to be "good doctors" for their patients.

A very wise resident told me before I started my first year to treat my first year like a 50 hour a week job. Put in your class or private study time, (whatever works for you) then stop. The demands only get more intense as you go along, so don't let yourself be consumed by it before you really need to. Balance.

Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance

broadstone looks nice....

any others people are looking at?

i know someone mentioned it before, but anyone thinking of living in berzerkley? thinking about naan'n curry and cheese board and all my familiar study spots is making me nostalgic and hungry.

My husband and I will be living in Broadstone!! Yay!!

Sweeeeeeet! Another neighbor! Nice aren't they?!....we'll be in Building 7

Hi all,
I think I posted before about this, but if ANYONE is looking for a roommate in Broadstone, please PM me! I would really like to live there but can only afford a 2 BR/2 Bath (The Halsey). I would prefer to live with a female.
Thanks!!!

Hey class of 2011!
I am in the class of 2010 and will have 2 rooms for rent next year. (and the option to take over the lease for the year after that if I am rotating out of the area)
The house is awesome...2000 square feet and only 6 years old in American Canyon (exactly 6.5 miles from campus) it has an open floor plan and I have a 37" HD plasma TV with tivo for everyone to share in the living room. The house itself is furnished you would have to furnish your own room. Rent would be $525 per month for the larger room and $475 for the smaller room. Plus utilities (about $25-40 a month) Wireless is provided too.
I have a unique situation, my 5 year old daughter lives with me during the week and we travel home to our house in Sacramento nearly every weekend. You would share the house with me, my daughter, and two other roommates (and two small dogs...).
Contact me if you are interested...
Tamara

Members don't see this ad :)
i think you were the one giving me a tour, lol.

how close really is broadstone?

According to Mapquest it's 4 miles. A fair amount of the traveling was after you got onto Mare Island from what I remember, so aside from the dorms, I can't imagine there being something a whole lot closer. You don't need to get on the highway to get there either, so that helps with traffic.

Also, all the stuff I have is essentially new, so don't pay full price for the same stuff people. Somebody PM me, and help me help you!

Broadstone is a great place, but the surrounding area really is pretty dangerous.

didn't seem too bad when I was there...

Looks like I'll have an electric fireplace as well. Woohoo!!! :)

So........ how was the meeting for drinks last Friday?? I had drinks and dinner with my hubby and a good friend at the Cheesecake factory on Thursday evening in Union Square. San Francisco rules! :)

i think you were the one giving me a tour, lol.

Awesome...I take you you received your acceptance letter. Congrats.
Have fun this summer...I remember how exciting it is right before classes start.

Well, I live at Broadstone right now, and unless ur from Compton...the surrounding area is not great at all. It's an upgrade from Compton though, so I guess it just depends on perspective. From what I understand, you've signed a lease already right? So obviously ur gonna convince yourself its a great place and be excited about it. I'm re-signing for next year too because I love my apartment...it's just good to be honest to the people who haven't signed yet, and who use this forum for advice and to make decisions.

Anyway, more importantly...congrats to everyone on getting in. PM me if u need books/supplies.

Well, I'm definitely not from Compton, and I agree that it's not the nicest area, but do you really think it's that "dangerous"? I just didn't get that bad of a vibe. Do you have any personal experiences in the area?

I have already signed a lease, but it's always nice to get new info.

Also, I guess I should say, I didn't spend all that much time in the area right around the apartment.

The first link is reported crimes.
#218 still places Vallejo between Duluth, MN (more crime!) and Honolulu, Hi (less crime).

It seems like a lot of people already have housing arrangements... i hope i'm not too late. Is anyone still looking for a roommate to share a 2br apt or house (or even two people looking for a third person for a 3br)? I am 23 (24 when school starts), male from central CA. I may be gone the month of June (I think i'm doing the HSPS scholarship from the Air Force...:confused: ). Please let me know if you are interested.

Also, i have been on my parent's insurance forever and realized i have to get my own. Anyone know of a good provider for students (that isn't overly-priced)? I know the school i am at now has an awesome health center and i don't really need health insurance except for hospital stuff... is the student health center at touro anything like that...anyone know?

Hi 2011ers!

Congratulations to you all for getting in! We look forward to welcoming you in August. :hardy:

I am a 1st year currently. I will be spending this summer (June and July) in Chicago. I am keeping my 1 bedroom apartment in Vallejo and I am offering it as a sublet. I would be great for anyone who needs accommodation while they look for a place to live for real. Minimum lease is 2 weeks; maximum is both months (you will have to be out by Aug 1st). If you are interested, PM me and I will give you the details. There is a listing posted on the Touro housing site.

Again, congratulations and welcome!

I found a cool pad on mare island, but it needs three other peeps. let me know if anyone is interested.

mike

I found a cool pad on mare island, but it needs three other peeps. let me know if anyone is interested.

mike

I would be interested in living on the island - short commute! let me know more info please.

kris

I was looking at both of those. lol. But the 951 was the one I had in mind.
w00t!

Did you guys get the email about orientation (Wednesday, August 15) and our official start date (Tuesday, August 21)??

Anyone else as excited about it as I am?

The Touro University Gay-Straight Alliance held its Sexual Diversity Panel tonite at 5. Major success! Lots of exciting info!

img_0972a.jpg

woohoo...i'm soooo excited too!!! i can't wait for school! my friends think it's weird that i want to go back to school and go through the stress of studying and preparing for exams, but dang it...i'm anxious to become a doctor!!! :D

i'm excited!!! yay!!!! need to find a few more roomies!!!

Did you guys get the email about orientation (Wednesday, August 15) and our official start date (Tuesday, August 21)??

Anyone else as excited about it as I am?

Just saw it in my email!, can't wait!!!!

anyone know when the white coat ceremony is?

Your class (who you elect as temporary officers, at orientation) will decide when they want a white coat ceramony we had ours in September last year, but the 2nd years waited and had thiers just a couple weeks ago.

Also...I posted rooms for rent a few pages back...if you are interested I have one larger room left for $525 a month plus 1/5 the utilities. (about $30-40 depending on season)

Tamara

Hi Everyone!! CONGRATS to all of those who have made it this far- we will have a great class!

I was wondering what everyone was planning on doing for the "grad plus" loans- which lender were you considering and why? I'm having a hard time figuring out which lender for the gradplus/priv loans will provide me with the best deal- and i've tried the suggested "graduateleverage" loan assessment- but i'm just wondering what everyone else has done (those who are currently at Tucom) or will do (class of 2011)?

Anyone looking to live in a house in Vallejo/Benicia? Let me know if you are interested.

Hi Class of 2011,

If anybody is still interested in off-campus housing, there are several postings on the school's website for this --> click here

And the reason why I bring this up is because my parents have a house in Pinole, which I've convinced them to rent to Touro students. It's on the other side of the bridge, so you do have to pay toll. This is definitely more for students who are interested in being somewhere near school and closer to Berkeley/SF at the same time. If you are interested - PM me! - more info below:

Distance from Touro Campus:
14.7 miles (according to Google Maps)

Number of Bedrooms: 4

Number of Baths: 2

Interior Amenities: Dishwasher (2006), refrigerator (2006), heater, fireplace, living room, kitchen, dining space (dryer and washer will be purchased if renting to students)

Exterior Amenities: Large backyard

Date Available: starting June 2007

Rent: $ 1700/month

Length of Lease: 1 year contract

Contact Information:
Pin-Chieh Chiang, Class of 2009 - COM

Current students or for those currently in the bay area-

How bad has the traffic gotten to and from the Oakland Bay Bridge due to that wacky accident?? I plan on making the drive to Vallejo with my husband at the end of May. We'll be arriving around June 3. Any pointers or words of advice? Are there alternate routes to the campus (like the Golden Gate bridge)? Is it okay to drive a big Uhaul truck on the both bridges or are there tunnels that prohibit a certain vehicle's height?

Thanks for any help you can offer us!

( bay area native of 12 years) All the tunnels in the area can definitely accommodate a u haul truck, even bigger if you wanted. Where r u coming from? If ur in sf trying to get to Vallejo, take 101 north to east bound 37 which takes u right to Vallejo. If ur coming from the east bay, i recommend 680 north to 780.
Their is a bit of a mess going on due to the problems were having. If u have to get into or out of the city to the east bay, I highly recommend public transportation like BART (the subway for u out of stater's), highway 101, or the dumbarton bridge.

Current students or for those currently in the bay area-

How bad has the traffic gotten to and from the Oakland Bay Bridge due to that wacky accident?? I plan on making the drive to Vallejo with my husband at the end of May. We'll be arriving around June 3. Any pointers or words of advice? Are there alternate routes to the campus (like the Golden Gate bridge)? Is it okay to drive a big Uhaul truck on the both bridges or are there tunnels that prohibit a certain vehicle's height?

Thanks for any help you can offer us!

Where are you coming from? From the east you can take 680 north from 580 and you come nowhere near the mess... from the north you don't get close and from the south as long as you avoid 880 you should be fine... and don't take 101 into SF and then across the bay bridge...avoiding SF is usually a good idea if you can - for traffic concerns. hope that helps

I'm going to make my first trek to oakland after the big blow up on 580. We'll see how bad the traffic is from here, lol hahaahhaah wish me luck!!!