Touro-MI and clinical rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

notdeadyet

Still in California
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard mention a couple of times about Touro not having enough local clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year and that students often had to spend quite a bit of time out of the immediate area to complete their degree.

Does anyone have any information on this? This is not meant as a dig against Touro (it's very high on my list) but I have obligations and would prefer not to have to travel away where I live a lot in 3rd/4th year.

Any information from current or past students would be welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

notdeadyet said:
I heard mention a couple of times about Touro not having enough local clinical rotations in 3rd and 4th year and that students often had to spend quite a bit of time out of the immediate area to complete their degree.

Does anyone have any information on this? This is not meant as a dig against Touro (it's very high on my list) but I have obligations and would prefer not to have to travel away where I live a lot in 3rd/4th year.

Any information from current or past students would be welcome.

I think this topic has been discussed before. You can do a search, or you can post this question on the Osteopathic and the Clinical Rotations forums....there will be more people there who can help with this question. One thing you can also do is call the TUCOM Clinical Rotations office directly and ask them your questions and tell them about your concerns...they'll probably be happy to help.

There's plenty of spots to stay in CA. Worry about getting in, then worry about the other stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
bluerose786 said:
I think this topic has been discussed before. You can do a search, or you can post this question on the Osteopathic and the Clinical Rotations forums....there will be more people there who can help with this question.
Thanks for the advice. I already did a search, but couldn't find too many specifics. The best list I had was a list of all hospitals that students had rotated at in the state and it was a long list. I'd heard that some osteopathic schools do not have teaching hospitals and some places are a bit chaotic when it comes to finding a place to do your rotations in 3rd and 4th year. Not sure if this is a problem at all schools or only some. I don't really have the ability to pick up and move several times a year to do rotations. If this is a problem for all osteopathic schools, it may be an issue.

mj1878 said:
There's plenty of spots to stay in CA. Worry about getting in, then worry about the other stuff.
For those looking at Touro, the list of affiliated hospitals can be found at:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=75&page=45

Thanks, MJ. On track for application. I just need to find out how the clinical half of Touro's education is organized. I've heard a couple of negative things about trying to stay in the Bay Area for most of years 3 and 4 and this could be a problem. This may be bad info or rumors, but haven't heard anything to the contrary yet. There seem to be lots of places in California, but I won't be in the position to pick up and move around the state every two months.

notdeadyet said:
For those looking at Touro, the list of affiliated hospitals can be found at:
http://www.tu.edu/departments.php?id=75&page=45

Thanks, MJ. On track for application. I just need to find out how the clinical half of Touro's education is organized. I've heard a couple of negative things about trying to stay in the Bay Area for most of years 3 and 4 and this could be a problem. This may be bad info or rumors, but haven't heard anything to the contrary yet. There seem to be lots of places in California, but I won't be in the position to pick up and move around the state every two months.

From what I've heard, you don't have to move around if you don't want to. Some do, some don't. Call the U and talk to Dr. Haight and he can either tell you or direct you to the director of clinical education and they can tell you. I don't know for sure, but I'm not stressing out about it.

mj1878 said:
From what I've heard, you don't have to move around if you don't want to. Some do, some don't. Call the U and talk to Dr. Haight and he can either tell you or direct you to the director of clinical education and they can tell you. I don't know for sure, but I'm not stressing out about it.

Actually...yeah...now that mj1878 mentions this...I remember my pre-med advisor telling me that TUCOM gives you the opportunity to do your rotations in Vallejo so you don't have to move much.

Hi there,

You should probably address your question to Dr. Towne, actually. She's in charge of clinical education and responsible for setting up rotations.

It's all done via lottery system, with your decision being which region you want to be located in. Typically, apparently 90% of all those who rank the Bay Area region as their 1st choice for rotation spots will get to stay. After you're assigned to the area, your core rotations are assigned to you, although you always have the option to swap with classmates. Note that your Bay Area rotations will not all be *in* Vallejo... there's only 4-5 core spots (per month) at Sutter Vallejo. Other core 3rd year rotation spots will also be at Doctor's San Pablo, St. Luke's (San Francisco), San Jaoquin General (Stockton), local preceptors, etc, etc... you'll be moving around. Very rare for anyone to stay in a single Bay Area hospital for all 12 months. (In contrast, the programs in Michigan, Las Vegas, and some of the ones in So Cal are year-round, I beleive.)

Other than the core 3rd year rotations, my understanding is that all students have tremendous flexibility for the rest of their clinical education. TUCOM has numerous agreements with rotation spots for your 3rd/4th year electives throughout the Bay Area: Highlands (Alameda County), CPMC, Kaiser Oakland/SF/Vallejo, UCSF, Woodland Healthcare, St. Mary's in San Francisco, John Muir/Mt. Diablo in Walnut Creek, etc, etc... you can spend the bulk of 4th year in the Bay Area, if you so choose.

Thanks for the detailed info, Heech et al. This is exactly what I was hoping to hear. Staying in the Bay Area is the goal (respecting the wife's career). Glad to hear the feedback that going to Touro won't require you to pick up and move every few months. That'd be great at 24 and single, not so great at 34 and married.

thanks for the help, all...