Touro Nevada or Western Lebanon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

muffinbakinginprocess

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I recently received this absolute privilege to choose between these two amazing schools. There are many things I endorse about them and hence, have trouble figuring out which one to place my deposit down.

Touro NV:
pros:
- rotation sites are all 30 minutes away from the campus
- successfully renovated curriculum (the average board score was 598 last year)
- have a patient simulation center
- 4 years DO/MPH program
- urban location, meaning that there are lots of job opportunities for my sig other around

Cons:
- Rotation can be a hit or miss since there are no fixed rotation sites.
- it's so freaking hot during summer. Not really something I look forward to as a runner.
- Most students matched into hospitals in California, although I am not sure if that matters
- warehouse-like facility

Western Lebanon
Pros
- Love the weather and Oregon in general
- very family-like; the student ambassadors were definitely the most passionate ones I have met
- Lifestyle medicine approach. This translate to the students' lifestyle as well (school has standing desks, treadmill desks for studying; I was served local healthy cuisine during my interview day etc.)
- Huge emphasis on anatomy and OMM

Cons:
- Since it is located at a rural/suburb location, it will be less likely for my sig other to get a job there
- no dual degree program (but have specialized tracks)
- needs to travel around during clinical rotations
- no patient simulation center (does that matter?)

What do you guys think? Any opinions will be appreciated! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm more of a city person so I'd choose Touro NV. Having clinicals close by is a huge plus. Having places to destress after exams is a huge plus. Having to not deal with snow is a huge plus. I've passed through Lebanon. Unless you and your significant other really like to be on Prozac around miles and miles of nothing with no sun for months on end I wouldn't recommend it.

Reactions: 1 user
Patient simulation center? Lifestyle? Man, the gimmicks that these schools get you with.

The important things are video lectures, boards and rotation sites. Everything else doesn't matter.

Dual degree is plain stupid and waste of time. If you can get the MPH while on 4 years medicine, the only way is sacrificing board study time. I would pass on that. It will not help you in the future. Nobody cares of such useless degree, especially coming from Touro

Patient simulation center? Lifestyle? Man, the gimmicks that these schools get you with.

The important things are video lectures, boards and rotation sites. Everything else doesn't matter.

Dual degree is plain stupid and waste of time. If you can get the MPH while on 4 years medicine, the only way is sacrificing board study time. I would pass on that. It will not help you in the future. Nobody cares of such useless degree, especially coming from Touro

Do student study for the board during the summer of year 1? And what's your reason why patient simulation center doesn't matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more of a city person so I'd choose Touro NV. Having clinicals close by is a huge plus. Having places to destress after exams is a huge plus. Having to not deal with snow is a huge plus. I've passed through Lebanon. Unless you and your significant other really like to be on Prozac around miles and miles of nothing with no sun for months on end I wouldn't recommend it.

To me, the location doesn't really matter unless it has no job market but I will look more into the weather of Lebanon. Thank you!

Do student study for the board during the summer of year 1? And what's your reason why patient simulation center doesn't matter?
Probably not during M1 summer, but no break at all? Christ, I can't imagine showing up to boards with the burnout that results from going 2 years non-stop.

Patients aren't like all these stupid simulations. Patient aren't even like your clinical class will teach you. For what it's worth, WesternU has the highest COMLEX Level 2 PE pass rate for the past 6 or so years

Reactions: 1 users
Just my two cents about lifestyle.. I wouldn’t dismiss it completely. I think it’s important also.

It may not matter much to you (or me, as the med student), but it will for your significant other. I’m also in a place where I have to choose between a couple of schools, and I’m most likely going to decline my acceptance to westernU. It’s just way too rural, especially for my gf who wouldn’t be able to find a job. A bit of a bummer because I loved the faculty here! Dr. Pham is awesome!

"- successfully renovated curriculum (the average board score was 598 last year)"

Just to clarify that isn't true. The new curriculum they set in place was last year, so the first class to take the boards with the new curriculum is the second year class right now. We will know the board scores for the new curriculum once the second years take the boards. I asked this during my interview because i was quite curious why their board scores shot up to 598 compared to their previous scores. I didn't get an answer so I still am not sure.