Touro-NV Class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I figured there's enough "clubs" that basically carry over from the classroom. I want one completely unrelated. Maybe there will be a rule that if you start babbling about classes or some organ you have to spend a certain amount of $ the next time around. Like $50 on wine

Members don't see this ad.

I'm interviewing in 2 weeks, but I currently shadow a surgeon on staff at Touro for rotations. There is a 3rd year student working with him. I spoke to him a lot, and the rotations are awesome. You get to work with good doctors at numerous locations. He is really practicing & learning medicine on his rotations. The surgeon is great. I'm so excited about this and I hope I get an acceptance. :) BTW...how long did it take to hear about your acceptance after your interview?

i was similar to jvin2006. i interviewed monday, march 5th, was accepted friday, march 9th. i wasn't sure of their impression of me b/c the interview was extremely casual which i think i'm not used to coming from the east coast. i guess they liked something in me cuz i was accepted! first one too. waiting on a couple others but will probably be sending in my deposit in the next couple days. good luck on your interview.

Hey guys, still waiting to hear back from Touro but I wanted to throw in my two cents. The day I interviewed -3/8/07- Roger told us that the committee would be meeting on 3/23/07 and we could get an email the following day. I don't know if they announce the committee mtg time at every interview, but it seems like they meet about twice a month and so it would just depend on how close you interviewed to the next mtg time. Additional FYI- they had filled 78 of the 134 spots as of 3/8/07, so still pretty good odds.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, still waiting to hear back from Touro but I wanted to throw in my two cents. The day I interviewed -3/8/07- Roger told us that the committee would be meeting on 3/23/07 and we could get an email the following day. I don't know if they announce the committee mtg time at every interview, but it seems like they meet about twice a month and so it would just depend on how close you interviewed to the next mtg time. Additional FYI- they had filled 78 of the 134 spots as of 3/8/07, so still pretty good odds.

I'm guessing you're in jennsnate.

You can also call Roger the night of the 23rd and he'll tell you over the phone if you can't wait until the following morning.

Thanks bro, interview went well, just trying not to count my chickens...

They want their grads to stick around, so I think we (vegas locals) may have a slight advantage.

jennsnate, I just joined the reno rejects-3rd time, I guess they don't want capable and dedicated students.

My condolences man, don't know how you did it 3 times- I thought that was one of their prereqs was to be a reapp. Goofy freakin' system they got going on up there. I'll be more than happy to be out at Henderson this Fall, the thought of studying/retaking the mcat this summer would make me cry.

i was similar to jvin2006. i interviewed monday, march 5th, was accepted friday, march 9th. i wasn't sure of their impression of me b/c the interview was extremely casual which i think i'm not used to coming from the east coast. i guess they liked something in me cuz i was accepted! first one too. waiting on a couple others but will probably be sending in my deposit in the next couple days. good luck on your interview.

Thanks! I hope I get good news too. :)

I had to push my interview back to April 5th because jury duty got in the way of my previous interview. I hope there will still be seats left at that point, doubtful though.

There'll be another seat open for you hopefuls. I've been holding on a seat since Oct. but my gf just matched for residency in NYC so I'll be attending Touro NYC instead. I'm going to call Roger this week. I am kind of sad because Touro NV seemed so great. Have lots of fun in the desert without me. :p

I gave up my seat in december, so you can't blame me :p Anyhoo, best of luck to you guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interested in the Wine/Beer/Spirits club? Let me know b/c I'll probably have the first one before the semester starts. Almost like a mixer to get to know everyone. I might send out an email on the list serve that Roger sent out so everyone knows about it. Friends & significant others are welcome to get involved also.

I just sent in my deposit last week and I am very excited to start here in the fall. Not sure what to do about housing, is anyone considering roommates? And are there any message boards?

Hopefully everyone got an email through the Touro list-serve about the wine club. If there are any locals who want to meet up between now and the beginning of the semester for a couple practice "tasting" sessions, let me know.

Hopefully everyone got an email through the Touro list-serve about the wine club. If there are any locals who want to meet up between now and the beginning of the semester for a couple practice "tasting" sessions, let me know.

You should probably ask Dr. T. Miller to be your faculty advisor since he is very much into wine and fine spirits... Good luck everyone and enjoy your summer!

Any Vegas locals or people in town for the April 5th interview, a few people are going to try and meet up that weekend at a local bar. Give the incoming students a chance to get to know each other before school starts, and give those interviewing a chance to meet some possible future classmates. IM me if interested. Anyone already accepted probably got my email about the wine club through the list-serve. Reply to that email if you would like to meet up with us that weekend in April or if you're interested in the wine club. I'll probably send another one out if the April plans become definite giving the location and time to meet.

Now it's official- I'm heading to Touro this year! Had myself psyched out interviewing this late in the cycle, that and only applying to 2 schools, but it worked out and I have been very impressed with everything that I've learned about Touro so far. See everyone this August if not sooner.

TOURO-NV 2011

congrats, let me know if you ever want to get together with a few of the local students before the start of school.

I had to push my interview back to April 5th because jury duty got in the way of my previous interview. I hope there will still be seats left at that point, doubtful though.

hey kahuna, when i interviewed on march 5th they still had ~60 seats remaining so i'm sure there will be when it comes time for you to interview so i wouldn't worry too much about it. ;)

How do we get access to the listserv? I've been told that I'm added but am clueless as to how to get to it. Also, what does anyone know about computer specs? Laptop/desktop? Thanks

You need a laptop, any new computer will meet the minimum requirements, you just need to make sure you have good wireless internet. The requirements are reminiscent of something you would find in a computer from several years ago.

Disregard the laptop requirements. New requirements were emailed today. Much more needed than I was originally told.

also, im think the comp requirements say that you must get a windows based PC. but, i have an apple, and i know a ton of other kids here do, and run off the Mac OS, and haven't installed the windows portion onto their macs and have had no problems whatsoever. just make sure to buy microsoft office for all the ppts.

just an FYI.

Hey guys. Thought I would chime in and say hello to all of my future classmates. I just sent in my deposit, so pending a background check it looks like I'll be headed to the desert. A question for any ‘08ers out there, how are the rotations so far? Also anyone living in the Timberlake or Villa Serena apts? If so any feedback would be great. Sorry if these questions are redundant. See you all this August.

Hey Tinapay, hey guys. I'll be seeing you in the desert, as well. :)

Hey guys. Thought I would chime in and say hello to all of my future classmates. I just sent in my deposit, so pending a background check it looks like I'll be headed to the desert. A question for any ‘08ers out there, how are the rotations so far? Also anyone living in the Timberlake or Villa Serena apts? If so any feedback would be great. Sorry if these questions are redundant. See you all this August.

Background check???

LOL. If you have a felony or two I am sure that Touro would give you the benefit of the doubt and have you give your side of the story. However, if you are a convicted drug dealer or murderer it might hurt your chances.

I can't stand waiting! The committee meets today to decide my fate. Roger said he will email the results on Friday. I know some people said they got a call from Roger when they got accepted. If I'm lucky and get the nod today, will Roger call me today or Friday, or do I just get the email followed by snail mail? :scared:

I can't stand waiting! The committee meets today to decide my fate.

Good luck Marianne!!
You CAN DO EET.

I'm a waitlister that's just kind of...well...waiting.
I moved off the ATSU waitlist in ONE WEEK...I don't imagine that happening this time, but I hope to move soon. I really like Touro-NV. I want to come celebrate at the Roadrunner with everyone else! :(

Hey there! Does anyone know when the first day of classes or orientation starts?

Aug 6th-Orientation
Aug 8th-Classes Begin

I can't stand waiting! The committee meets today to decide my fate. Roger said he will email the results on Friday. I know some people said they got a call from Roger when they got accepted. If I'm lucky and get the nod today, will Roger call me today or Friday, or do I just get the email followed by snail mail? :scared:

You have to call him, you can call him tonight around 8 or 9 for you're results if your interested. Otherwise all accepted students are emailed Friday morning

I will probably be attending TOuro NV in the fall...Just got accepted and I loved the school---errr building! It kinda seems like everyone gets in though. Do they reject anyone?!...also, does anyone know where it rankS?

I will probably be attending TOuro NV in the fall...Just got accepted and I loved the school---errr building! It kinda seems like everyone gets in though. Do they reject anyone?!...also, does anyone know where it rankS?

When did you interview? I know people get wait-listed. I hope I get accepted tomorrow. :)

i interviewed the 26th..i am sure u will hear good news...some advice though---dont assume that the email will come at 8am. i was KILLING myself last Friday waiting for news and checking email every 2 minutes after 8AM. It came at 12:30---so just relax...I got drunk on Thursday night to make the night pass quicker...and I was also a lil groggy on Friday morning so that helped :) You will be JUST FINE...i know u have worked hard to get to this point but it's all done and out of ur hands now...just be happy and positive. Best of lucK! Post when u find out...now i am kinda anxious for u!

haha, no not everyone gets in, in fact the majority do not.

Every Monday AND Tuesday for several months there are at least 10 interviewees at Touro. First class had around 80 students, second class about 110, and third class about 130, that would mean that in 6 weeks all acceptances would fill the class.

I don't have hard numbers for you, but rest assured, MANY are denied, as they are at other schools.

Congrats to everyone that have been accepted...PM me for any questions...I know "artichoke" and "kubed" like to answer questions too!

As far as rankings go, once you are in med school you will probably realize that every school hands you the same textbook and every school requires you to pass the same boards, it is how well they prepare you for the "hoops" that determines a good med school. I feel Touro is doing a VERY good job.

You have to call him, you can call him tonight around 8 or 9 for you're results if your interested. Otherwise all accepted students are emailed Friday morning

Oh no!! I emailed Roger yesturday and asked if I could call for the decision. He emailed me this morning and said to call after noon on his cell. It seeems to me that he already knows the results from yesturday and he didn't tell me, so it doesn't sound good...right? :scared: :scared: :scared:

No no! He is not allowed to tell u...he has to get the papers signed from the dean first. I remember him saying htat Noone has ever been denied---but its a technicality that has to be done...:) DONT WORRY SWEETY! go on a long run or go to the mall...take ur mind off things until noon. He should email you around then anyway

No no! He is not allowed to tell u...he has to get the papers signed from the dean first. I remember him saying htat Noone has ever been denied---but its a technicality that has to be done...:) DONT WORRY SWEETY! go on a long run or go to the mall...take ur mind off things until noon. He should email you around then anyway

Thank you! I feel better now! :luck:

haha, no not everyone gets in, in fact the majority do not.

That's true. The day I interviewed there were 11 students there and only 2 or 3 of us from that group were accepted.

i interviewed the 26th..i am sure u will hear good news...

I was in your interview group on the 26th.
Waitlisted. :(

So they don't take everybody right off the bat.

true---what I meant to say was does anyone get rejected? I guess that was a stupid question because of course--the numbers wouldnt quite add up if they werent. But the reason I asked is because it seems like everyone was either waitlisted or accepted. I didnt see anyone who posted on here that was rejected. Anyway, good luck to you in getting off the wait-list. Show them that you are interested. And if u really feel like you would attend if you are accepted, say it flat out!:)

PS---I am getting so excited about next year! woo hoo!!! :oops:

Show them that you are interested. And if u really feel like you would attend if you are accepted, say it flat out!:)

I already wrote Roger Corbman an e-mail about wanting to go to Touro. Within the next week, I will probably submit a formal Update Letter, with my classes for this semester, and reiterating my desire to go to Touro. In addition, after my next endocrine exam, if I get an A on it, I'm going to ask my professor to write an update letter for me, as well. (Specifically having to do with getting off the waitlist.)

Edit: As far as rejections are concerned, didn't he quote "50-60% accepted, 20-30% waitlisted, 10-20% rejected?" He said that was "overall" and not indicative of week-to-week. (I was the one who asked how many people they'd be reviewing that week.)

You're the tennis player, aren't you? I can't quite remember your name.

I just got the email...ACCEPT! I'm so excited! Now I can go relax. I'll be joining you all in August. I live in Henderson, so if anyone needs info & help...let me know :) :) :)