Touro NV or Touro CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Touro NV or Touro CA?

• Total voters

camng22

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having a difficult time deciding which school to attend. I hope someone with more information for each school to comment and help me out. I'm a california native and hope to practice in California.

Touro NV -
Location is great. It's right next to vegas and there seems to be a lot of things to do after an exam to de stress. I also heard that the quality of rotations are good since it is one of the two medical schools in Nevada. However, it might be hard for me to get a residency in CA or even practice in CA. I feel like I'll enjoy vegas more than vallejo in terms of location.

Touro CA -
I didn't like the location of the school despite it being in California. Vallejo and Maire Island is not appealing at all. I'm not sure about the quality of rotations because of the proximity of other CA med schools. Attending Touro CA will give me a better chance of matching to a CA residency program. Also, at the end of the day, I see myself studying most of the time and so I might endure the first two years and hopefully move around California(socal) during 3rd or 4th year. I also live pretty close to Touro CA so my support system is nearby.

I am completely unsure (50/50) at this point as to where I should go. Is the quality of education for both schools the same? I need some help! I feel like touro NV will make me happier for at least the next 2 years but touro CA will be better for me in the long run but I still dont know!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't have the exact numbers, but I think NV matches about 20% of their class into California residencies while CA matched 44% into California residencies this year. Also CA seems to be much more involved with research as well if you're interested

Last edited:
I'm having a difficult time deciding which school to attend. I hope someone with more information for each school to comment and help me out. I'm a california native and hope to practice in California.

Touro NV -
Location is great. It's right next to vegas and there seems to be a lot of things to do after an exam to de stress. I also heard that the quality of rotations are good since it is one of the two medical schools in Nevada. However, it might be hard for me to get a residency in CA or even practice in CA. I feel like I'll enjoy vegas more than vallejo in terms of location.

Touro CA -
I didn't like the location of the school despite it being in California. Vallejo and Maire Island is not appealing at all. I'm not sure about the quality of rotations because of the proximity of other CA med schools. Attending Touro CA will give me a better chance of matching to a CA residency program. Also, at the end of the day, I see myself studying most of the time and so I might endure the first two years and hopefully move around California(socal) during 3rd or 4th year. I also live pretty close to Touro CA so my support system is nearby.

I am completely unsure (50/50) at this point as to where I should go. Is the quality of education for both schools the same? I need some help! I feel like touro NV will make me happier for at least the next 2 years but touro CA will be better for me in the long run but I still dont know!!

If staying in CA is your biggest concern then you should probably pick Touro CA.

Additionally, Touro-CA actually shows up on the NIH reporter for having faculty with active NIH funding to conduct research so that will also better support your career than Touro-NV which is next door to a University of Phoenix. Not to say you couldnt do research at UNLV but it is much harder to do something like that especially when you are in school.