Touro-NV vs LECOM-Erie (PBL)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

brgrbeer513

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted to LECOM-Erie PBL first and already put down my deposit. Now I’ve been accepted to Touro-NV and I am considering putting down a deposit. Neither school is my top choice, but of course there is no guarantee I will get an II at my top choices. So at the moment I am faced with the question: do I put down a deposit at Touro-NV? I’m really grateful for any input you all can offer. Below I’ve listed some pros and cons from my perspective. Overall both programs seem great to me. Let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

Touro NV

Pros

• Systems based curriculum
  • Great match list (many different fields and several students matched in Chicago suburbs— I want to do residency in Chicago)
  • Highest COMLEX pass rate of all DO schools
  • All core rotations within 30 min drive of campus
  • 100% match rate in 2019 / 99.2% in 2020
  • Non-mandatory lectures
  • 20 min drive to downtown Las Vegas (amenities of big city nearby)
  • Henderson looks great
  • Close to many beautiful parks and outdoor activities
  • Nice weather in winter

Cons

• Expensive tuition
  • High Cost of living
  • SUPER hot in summer

LECOM Erie

Pros

• High COMLEX pass rates (in the 90s)
  • High match rates (99%)
  • Accepted to PBL (I think I would like PBL style of learning and flexibility)
  • Cheapest tuition in the country (80k cheaper than TouroNV) and low COL
  • Also great match list, but not many places in Chicago area
Cons

• I’m not as keen to the region (not really near urban centers)
  • Clinical rotations placement is unpredictable, requires a lot of travel and moving
  • Freezing / snowy winters
Disclaimer: Please let me know if I am misguided or have some incorrect info here. I was only able to ask 1-2 questions at each interview due to time constraints and information online has been sporadic, outdated, and unreliable in many cases. Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Tough choice, since you would be putting down another 2k and maybe both deposits end up being placeholders if you get into your top choice afterwards. If you are used to an urban environment, Touro NV might be worth it to keep your mind at its best during school. LECOM has some strict rules about dress code and eating, but the lower tuition is nice.

There was an old thread someone linked to that made LECOM look pretty bad. It is 10 years old, and about the pharmacy school, but it doesn’t give the best look that the school was monitoring social media at the time: