Touro University CA fall 2015 pharmD supplemental essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kpop lover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone already been invited to fill out the PharmD supplemental application for Touro University in California? Can someone please tell me the essay prompts in the application because I want to plan ahead on what to write.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Touro University California

College of Pharmacy

Please draft responses to the questions/prompts below, then save and upload your responses as a single document for inclusion with your supplemental application.

Responses to the following should be limited to 250 words or less:

· Have you ever attended another college of pharmacy, even for just a few days? If yes, please provide the details of your enrollment, including the name of the school, term(s) of attendance, and your most recent academic standing.

· Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

· Please list your favorite extra-curricular activities and non-academic pursuits.

· Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

· Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

· Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

· Please explain why you have chosen to apply to our College of Pharmacy?

· What do you believe is the most difficult challenge pharmacists will face in the coming years? What would you do to overcome this challenge?

Response to the following should be limited to 500 words or less:

· The Admissions and Standards Committee reviews applications from many applicants with strong academic backgrounds and experiences. Without considering skills and accomplishments, please describe those personal characteristics you feel make you stand out as an individual.

Where did you find these? I started my touro app but didn't see this. The section on supplemental questions doesn't list the file for pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where did you find these? I started my touro app but didn't see this. The section on supplemental questions doesn't list the file for pharmacy.
u only do supplemental when you get invitation email
and this is one of the sections, you download a file and fill it upload again part!

From what I understand interviews should start in September for TUC. The pharmacy students (including myself) are already signing up to give tours around the "lovely" campus. Haha. If you have any questions about the application process feel free to let me know. I also recommend applying out of state for California residents, you will have a great chance of receiving an interview. When I applied I received an interview from:

*attended interview

West Coast University* (new school in Southern California, its... meh...)
Notre Dame of Maryland University*
University of New England (Portland, Maine)*
University of Utah (great school and campus)*
Washington State University (another great school and campus)*
University of Colorado (great school)*
Touro University California (currently attending)*
California Northstate University
Western University

I also applied to many other schools, a total of 18 I believe. Didn't bother turning in supplementals after receiving first couple interviews, so don't waste your money like I did. Cheers and good luck.

Last edited:
This is strange through. I was invited by Touro to submit an application and under the "List of school supplementals" there wasn't a single one for Pharmacy school. Some of the questions listed in this post are ones that I found under the healthcare section but not all of them. And I am kind of worried, I was invited back on 8/13 but I probably won't be done with it til tomorrow because I just found out I got the invitation email earlier this week. Stupid yahoo emails sending half of my stuff to spam its horrible -_-. Hopefully a 2.5 week delay won't piss them off and think I dont care about their school. So GreenTeas, do you remember how quick you replied to their supplemental after they invited you? Or how fast is recommended? Thanks!

This is strange through. I was invited by Touro to submit an application and under the "List of school supplementals" there wasn't a single one for Pharmacy school. Some of the questions listed in this post are ones that I found under the healthcare section but not all of them. And I am kind of worried, I was invited back on 8/13 but I probably won't be done with it til tomorrow because I just found out I got the invitation email earlier this week. Stupid yahoo emails sending half of my stuff to spam its horrible -_-. Hopefully a 2.5 week delay won't piss them off and think I dont care about their school. So GreenTeas, do you remember how quick you replied to their supplemental after they invited you? Or how fast is recommended? Thanks!

I turned mines in a week after I received it. And don't worry you will most likely receive an interview if they invited you to turn in your supplemental. Just write a strong personal essay about you character. I also realized that interviews will most likely start late September or early October. Hope that helped.

Thanks for the quick reply! And thats very reassuring cause I was freaking out about how late I realized I had received it. And thats the thing I dont have a personal essay question. There wasnt a link to download supplemental questions for their pharmacy school which was strange because they had links for many other programs, I was thinking of calling them when possible and asking about it. The questions I have to answer are on the supplemental itself and are very generic:

1. What award(s) or recognition(s) have you received within the last five years?

2. Employment experience during the last three years

(Please provide the employers name, occupation/position, and duration of employment)

3. Volunteer experience, if any, during the last three years:

Please provide the type of activity, sponsor, duration of service, and position)

4. Research experience, if any, during the last three years:

(Please provide the type of activity, sponsor, duration of service, and position)

5. Health professions or shadowing experience, if any, during the last three years:

(Please provide the type of activity, sponsor, duration of service, and position)

6. Extracurricular activities or hobbies.

And these are the only programs listed for personal essays requested under the "Supplemental Essays" section:

So I just thought this was strange =\

The main bulk of the supplemental is the 500 word essay that you upload with your supplemental application. And you just have to fill in those boxes, doesn't have to be long. I just listed out hobbies and wrote a couple sentences on the other sections.

The main bulk of the supplemental is the 500 word essay that you upload with your supplemental application. And you just have to fill in those boxes, doesn't have to be long. I just listed out hobbies and wrote a couple sentences on the other sections.

Yea thats just the thing, in the supplemental I cant find a 500 word essay for the pharmacy school listed and there is not prompt

I've just emailed admissions and called and left a message so hopefully they'll get back to me about it soon. Yea those links I listed above in my previous post are the only essay prompts they have. I've finished everything else and can submit but I still have the essay =\

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh wow thank you! I never would have found out!

Lol i just failed as a mentor..

Reactions: 1 user
Has anybody received an invite for interview yet??

just to clarify... the supplement app is only for students who received an invitation through email right?

Interviews will begin Mid-October. Good luck.
Oh okay, thanks. Do you mean that's when invitations will be given or should I be worried I haven't received one yet?

Oh okay, thanks. Do you mean that's when invitations will be given or should I be worried I haven't received one yet?

Don't worry if you haven't received an invitation for an interview yet. Interviews actually begins Mid-October and ends I believe around March. I received my interview invitation last year around December and my interview date was in January. I recommend practicing interviews at other schools before interviewing for your #1 pick. It will definitely prepare you and you would be so use to interviews that it wouldn't be as stressful. TUC's interview is not one on one. You are in a group with 4 or 5 other interviewees and there are 3 interviewers. 2 professors and 1 P3 or P4 and you all take turn answering the question. You don't want to be the one who answers the question first all the time nor do you want to be the one who answers last all the time. Generally people would take turn answering the questions first. Questions can range from the typical questions like why pharmacy to situational questions. It really depends on the professor.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry if you haven't received an invitation for an interview yet. Interviews actually begins Mid-October and ends I believe around March. I received my interview invitation last year around December and my interview date was in January. I recommend practicing interviews at other schools before interviewing for your #1 pick. It will definitely prepare you and you would be so use to interviews that it wouldn't be as stressful. TUC's interview is not one on one. You are in a group with 4 or 5 other interviewees and there are 3 interviewers. 2 professors and 1 P3 or P4 and you all take turn answering the question. You don't want to be the one who answers the question first all the time nor do you want to be the one who answers last all the time. Generally people would take turn answering the questions first. Questions can range from the typical questions like why pharmacy to situational questions. It really depends on the professor.
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to give me your input. Much appreciated!

What interview dates are available and what times do they usually begin?

Touro University California

College of Pharmacy

Please draft responses to the questions/prompts below, then save and upload your responses as a single document for inclusion with your supplemental application.

Responses to the following should be limited to 250 words or less:

· Have you ever attended another college of pharmacy, even for just a few days? If yes, please provide the details of your enrollment, including the name of the school, term(s) of attendance, and your most recent academic standing.

· Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

· Please list your favorite extra-curricular activities and non-academic pursuits.

· Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

· Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

· Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

· Please explain why you have chosen to apply to our College of Pharmacy?

· What do you believe is the most difficult challenge pharmacists will face in the coming years? What would you do to overcome this challenge?

Response to the following should be limited to 500 words or less:

· The Admissions and Standards Committee reviews applications from many applicants with strong academic backgrounds and experiences. Without considering skills and accomplishments, please describe those personal characteristics you feel make you stand out as an individual.

For your response, did you answer the questions in paragraph, sentences or bullet points(prob not the best way)? The first two questions dont apply to me... do i just put N/A or just briefly explain i have not attended pharm school/reapplicant?

From what I understand interviews should start in September for TUC. The pharmacy students (including myself) are already signing up to give tours around the "lovely" campus. Haha. If you have any questions about the application process feel free to let me know. I also recommend applying out of state for California residents, you will have a great chance of receiving an interview. When I applied I received an interview from:

*attended interview

Western University

I also applied to many other schools, a total of 18 I believe. Didn't bother turning in supplementals after receiving first couple interviews, so don't waste your money like I did. Cheers and good luck.
out of all the schools you interviewed at which ones did you get accepted to? what made you chose TUC and not the others? and advice would be appreciated!!

What interview dates are available and what times do they usually begin?

It looks like interviews are starting on the October 22nd, there should be two a week, one Wednesday one Thursday. It generally starts at 9am and most likely will end at 1pm.

out of all the schools you interviewed at which ones did you get accepted to? what made you chose TUC and not the others? and advice would be appreciated!!

I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed with except for Utah and Colorado. Those two were pretty difficult to get into. I was debating between Washington State University and Touro. Washington is great if you want to go into retail and it's a well established program. I chose Touro because it was close to home and it was a 2+2 program where you get an additional year of rotations which will prepare you if you want to go into clinical or ambulatory care pharmacy. (this will be something that all candidates will say during the interview, so I would recommend you to talk about other things besides this main point. When someone talks about something that you were thinking about, just say that you agree with "name of other candidate" and ADD onto what they said.) If you just repeat what someone else said, it doesn't really look that good.

It looks like interviews are starting on the October 22nd, there should be two a week, one Wednesday one Thursday. It generally starts at 9am and most likely will end at 1pm.

I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed with except for Utah and Colorado. Those two were pretty difficult to get into. I was debating between Washington State University and Touro. Washington is great if you want to go into retail and it's a well established program. I chose Touro because it was close to home and it was a 2+2 program where you get an additional year of rotations which will prepare you if you want to go into clinical or ambulatory care pharmacy. (this will be something that all candidates will say during the interview, so I would recommend you to talk about other things besides this main point. When someone talks about something that you were thinking about, just say that you agree with "name of other candidate" and ADD onto what they said.) If you just repeat what someone else said, it doesn't really look that good.

Can you provide me resources or tell me where to look for information that makes TUC unique? Their 2+2 program is the main thing that makes them unique, but I was wondering if you have other suggestions as a current student. I have found some other benefits of attending TUC, but I don't think it makes TUC unique compared to other schools. I want to take your advice and add on to the 2+2 program fact during the group interview because I know people will be repeating that. Thanks!

Hey guys, anybody know how long it takes Touro to send out the supplemental application invite?
I submitted my application on September 3rd, but my transcripts didn't get delivered until September 30th to PharmCas. I still didn't get anything from them :/ Is this a bad sign?

Can you provide me resources or tell me where to look for information that makes TUC unique? Their 2+2 program is the main thing that makes them unique, but I was wondering if you have other suggestions as a current student. I have found some other benefits of attending TUC, but I don't think it makes TUC unique compared to other schools. I want to take your advice and add on to the 2+2 program fact during the group interview because I know people will be repeating that. Thanks!

The best resource that I can give you is http://cop.tu.edu/aboutus/index.html. All the things it talks about is pretty much the main reasons why many people go to TUC. One thing that I mentioned in my interview was the PPC (Pharmacy Practice Center) which was completed last year in 2013. Honestly, you really just need to show them who you are and why you want to become a pharmacist. They are just looking for people who cares about improving overall care for the patients, can think critically, pays attention to details and other awesome characteristics. I also HIGHLY recommend you to be up to date with current laws in California. Especially things that RECENTLY just passed that is important for the pharmacy profession. Look up the Affordable Care Act and how that will change the pharmacy profession. The roles of a pharmacist is changing and they are no longer just counting pills. Know the different practices of pharmacy. Just know that during the interview, they can ask you about anything. The only thing you can prepare for is the typical questions that they ask like why pharmacy, why touro, tell me about yourself, and how does the Affordable Care Act effects the pharmacy profession. You just gotta think on your feet and practice for your interviews.

Last edited:
^^^ listen to this guy, he knows what hes talking about. Know about how pharmacist can prescribe under protocol (look up SB 493). Touro is getting really big on clinical pharmacy as well, so maybe incorporate that some how. Also maybe talk about how hydrocodone is now a CII and how this can impact pharmacy, as long as you seem like your interested and know what you're talking about. Be sure to listen to each of the interviewers when they are giving their answers, don't just sit trying to think of your answer, engage.

Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum and would like to know if there is a thread for Fall 2015 applicants! My interview date is 02/12/15... what's everyone else's date?

Interviews from last week Jan 21/22 acceptances emails came out :)

I have an interview in late-April. Anyone want to share what sort of questions they asked? What about the writing sample? What was the question related to and how did you feel?

Also, any good resources to learn about the affordable care act/ obamacare, SB493, covered California, etc?

Thanks for the input!

*attended interview

Western University

I Pm’d you