Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any recent interviews? Or feedback from people who interview already is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Man, Touro-CA and NV take their time to send secondaries...

This is one of my top 3 choices.

Man, Touro-CA and NV take their time to send secondaries...

This is one of my top 3 choices.

+1
I received a secondary to CA pretty soon, but have yet to hear from NV! It's been almost a month for me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so I know this may sound a bit ridiculous, but how did you all go about actually completing the secondary application? The available space on that webform a bit unconventional (e.g. three miniscule lines to answer "Why should the admissions committee accept you into this year's class"? I don't need to write a book, but I doubt 1-2 sentences is what they're looking for... or is it?).

I'm thinking of pasting it into word then submitting it as a PDF. Did anyone else do it that way? Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for your input. Good luck all. :)

Ok, so I know this may sound a bit ridiculous, but how did you all go about actually completing the secondary application? The available space on that webform a bit unconventional (e.g. three miniscule lines to answer "Why should the admissions committee accept you into this year's class"? I don't need to write a book, but I doubt 1-2 sentences is what they're looking for... or is it?).

I'm thinking of pasting it into word then submitting it as a PDF. Did anyone else do it that way? Or would you recommend something else?

Thanks in advance for your input. Good luck all. :)

Nope, I made it short and sweet, listing the reasons specifically for each question. It was tough-probably harder than most of the "essays" because it was so short. They'll be reading thousands of these, so I'm sure that if you can give them what they ask in the form that they ask it be in (three insanely short lines), they'll probably appreciate it!

Acceptance emails are out for interviewees last week.

Has anyone else received interview invites recently? For those of you who have been accepted what are your stats? I'm getting a bit worried as I've been complete since September 3 and haven't heard anything at all yet. If you guys could tell me if my stats are competitive that would be great! I'm IS with a 3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT. Also, I do not have a letter from a DO... :/

Has anyone else received interview invites recently? For those of you who have been accepted what are your stats? I'm getting a bit worried as I've been complete since September 3 and haven't heard anything at all yet. If you guys could tell me if my stats are competitive that would be great! I'm IS with a 3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT. Also, I do not have a letter from a DO... :/
I'm still waiting on an early August complete date, I don't believe they have sent ii's out too recently.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting on an early August complete date, I don't believe they have sent ii's out too recently.

Oh okay this makes me feel better! Any of those who were accepted mind sharing your stats? I would really appreciate it!!

Thanks

Withdrew my interview invite today. Was scheduled for October 22. Call tomorrow if you're interested, perhaps it's still available.

Does anyone know the best living areas if you were to go to school here but have a fiance working in south SF? Trying to find houses for rent that allow dogs... Difficult!

Congrats to those accepted! What were your guys' stats like? :thumbup:

Nope, I made it short and sweet, listing the reasons specifically for each question. It was tough-probably harder than most of the "essays" because it was so short. They'll be reading thousands of these, so I'm sure that if you can give them what they ask in the form that they ask it be in (three insanely short lines), they'll probably appreciate it!

Thanks for the feedback; I'll follow your advice. A few sentence and that's it. Good luck with the application process! :)

LOW ALTERNATE notice given on Monday. Accepted to another school on Wednesday. I thought I did well on the interview here too. Don't know what went wrong.. oh well!

Good luck everyone!

LOW ALTERNATE notice given on Monday. Accepted to another school on Wednesday. I thought I did well on the interview here too. Don't know what went wrong.. oh well!

Good luck everyone!

Stats?

Can someone explain the interview format? They interview a bunch of students at the same time?

It's a group interview, you are interviewed at the same time as 4 or 5 other people.

I have a 30/3.3 cumulative GPA/3.3 science GPA. I have a lot of extra curriculars, research, clinical, volunteer. I have two BAs in social science and a master's in social science.

It's a group interview, you are interviewed at the same time as 4 or 5 other people.

I have a 30/3.3 cumulative GPA/3.3 science GPA. I have a lot of extra curriculars, research, clinical, volunteer. I have two BAs in social science and a master's in social science.

When did you interview?

I thought interviews at this school was individual panel type interviews?

I thought interviews at this school was individual panel type interviews?

Nope. You are usually grouped with 4 other people and are sitting at a table in front of an MD/DO, a PhD, and an MS2. Each of them ask a question about your application and might ask subsequent questions for elaboration. They go down the line and then the next faculty/student member will start with their questions.

There were some personal questions, but I feel that if you talk about it in your application then it is fair game. Also if you have a bad GPA/MCAT, be prepared to explain it without being embarrassed.

Wow they ask really personal questions as well? Im not a fan of that

They definitely read your file quite extensively prior to the interview. I have very little experience in this, but the interview process appeared to be pretty important to them. I like group settings though, so I enjoyed it. My fellow interviewees were all pretty chill and down to earth.

anyone at the marriott tonight want to chill, grab dinner, or whatever? PM me

There's an applebees probably 10 mins away by car if you want a quick dinner. Good luck tomorrow, the interview shouldn't be stressful. Just be honest about your responses and try to gear it towards why medicine, why osteopathy, and why specifically touro (like everyone else is saying.)

anyone know how the rotation works for this school? Is it all in norcal or is it all over the place as some of the schools?

Is anyone interviewing on the 28th, and want to split the cost of a hotel room? I'm being destroyed by travel costs recently :eek: PM me if so

Has anyone complete on or after 10/2 received an interview invite?

I interviewed today, and had a good experience with the school.

Near the beginning of our day, the dean of the osteopathic college (Dr. Clearfield) gave a very sobering and profound talk detailing the realities of medicine in 10 years as the baby boomer generation retires and our already overloaded health care system exceeds its capacity. Touro's vision has been to prepare students for this soon to exist (and very difficult) scenario and it is reflected in their curriculum and campus culture. I strongly agreed with this thesis, and believe it is really worth considering, especially in regards to the future role of a doctor.

All the faculty staff and students I met were great. I think the OMM program at this school and the anatomy laboratory were fantastic. Our tour group was pretty friendly and we had a lot of common interests (ie. 40% of us were vegetarians!), and I am looking forward to having them as my future classmates.

Also as a quick warning, the early morning was quite foggy and cold, even by a San Francisco native's standards!

Congrats! When were you complete? I have been complete since September 3rd and haven't heard anything yet..

I think 9/20. Although my app took a while to be processed because of the holidays. You can try asking Lynn what's going on.

I think 9/20. Although my app took a while to be processed because of the holidays. You can try asking Lynn what's going on.

Does anybody know how closely Touro sticks to their 4 week timeline after receiving secondaries? I was just curious if anybody was getting interviews prior to/after this 4 week window.

How would you get ahold of Lynn? I tried emailing her and did not receive a response :(

I interviewed today, and had a good experience with the school.

Near the beginning of our day, the dean of the osteopathic college (Dr. Clearfield) gave a very sobering and profound talk detailing the realities of medicine in 10 years as the baby boomer generation retires and our already overloaded health care system exceeds its capacity. Touro's vision has been to prepare students for this soon to exist (and very difficult) scenario and it is reflected in their curriculum and campus culture. I strongly agreed with this thesis, and believe it is really worth considering, especially in regards to the future role of a doctor.

All the faculty staff and students I met were great. I think the OMM program at this school and the anatomy laboratory were fantastic. Our tour group was pretty friendly and we had a lot of common interests (ie. 40% of us were vegetarians!), and I am looking forward to having them as my future classmates.

Also as a quick warning, the early morning was quite foggy and cold, even by a San Francisco native's standards!

Hey current student, just dropping in to say hi and avoid my studying. I'm glad you liked the interview and I can say you seemed like you got a good feel for the school. Hope to see you next year!

How long does it take to hear back on a secondary from here? My AACOMAS was released on 10/15. What are their general cut-off requirements for secondary?

II on November 26th! Anyone else interviewing on this date?

I just was accepted and will be attending this school (33, 3.73). As noted in my previous post I have a very high opinion of it. I would like to offer a few thoughts for prospective students:

*Touro emphasizes having a small tightly knit community (touro university is the center of the mare island, students are very collaborative rather than gunning for each other, the faculty has an open door policy, most of faculty knows the students on an individual basis and the institution makes an effort to watch out for the student's wellbeing to about the maximum extent that I would imagine to be possible).

*Touro's emphasis is on its osteopathic program and training students to be the best possible primary care doctors. These (especially the former) were very important to me and the principle reason I sought this school out.

*In addition, there is also a decent infrastructure in place to get students into competitive specialities.

*The faculty at this school are excellent. It should be noted that I have a limited baseline to compare them to at other schools, but it's very clear much care was put into the hiring process there.

*My impression was that this school is aiming for students highly interested in its focuses, as opposed to people who just "want to be admitted anywhere" and evaluate medical schools as a generic product. If you specifically want to be at Touro, then this is a good place to be.

*I read this book before I interviewed, was strongly moved by it and found the book was very helpful for my interview day. If my post sounds right to you, then you might want to read it as well.
This is the only place it can be purchased:
http://www.atstill.com/#/s-h-o-p/4573639669/A.-T.-STILL-From-the-Dry-Bone-to-the-Living-Man/4962398

Lastly, I presently live in San Francisco close to golden gate bridge. The drive to Touro was about an hour for me. If anyone needs a place to stay the night before interviewing, I can offer it provided that does not happen too frequently. If this would be really helpful for you, you are willing to sleep on a couch (nice living room though), and you are sincerely interested in and committed to attending Touro, pm me.

Reactions: 1 user
My secondarfy application was complete on August 26.

Lynn sent me this message:

"All required materials for your TUCOM CA applicant file have been received and your file is now complete and eligible for committee review. Should the Committee decide to invite you to attend an interview, you will be notified via email. Please note that invitations to interview may be sent at any time between now and the end of May and submission of application materials does not guarantee an interview. "

I have been sitting and waiting ever since : /