Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
does anyone have a link to this year's secondary? ...or is it just the same as last year's?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey so i just got the secondary but its a new system and in the instructions it says that there are campus specific questions but I cant seem to find the link to them.
If anybody has had any luck please let me know thanks.

Last edited:
hey so i just got the secondary but its a new system and in the instructions it says that there are campus specific questions but I cant seem to find the link to them.
If anybody has had any luck please let me know thanks.

The questions become visible after you complete the academic plan portion of the secondary.

Mind posting the questions when you get them?

Touro University California

College of Osteopathic Medicine

Please draft responses to the questions/prompts below, then save and upload your responses as a single document for inclusion with your supplemental application.

Responses to the following should be limited to 250 words or less:

· Within the last seven years, do you have any academic or legal records available under a different name? If yes, please provide any additional names under which your academic records may be listed.

· Are you a re-applicant who has previously interviewed? If yes, what was the result of that interview and what changes, if any, have you made which should affect a different outcome?

· What is the size of your home town or area – 2,500 to 10,000, 10,000 to 50,000, 50,000 to 100,000, 100,000 to 500,000, 500,000 to 1,000,000+), or Other (please specify)?

· Do you have any relative who is an Osteopathic Physician? Please list their name, relationship to you, COM attended, and year of graduation.

· Please list your favorite hobbies and/or non-academic pursuits.

· Within the last three years, please provide the name of previous employers, your occupation(s), and the duration(s) of your employment.

· Within the last three years, have you been engaged in any volunteer experiences? Please include the type of experience, sponsor, duration, and position.

· Within the last five years, what awards or recognitions (academic or other) have you received?

· Why have you chosen to apply to the TUC College of Osteopathic Medicine?

· Why should the Committee accept you into this year’s class?

Responses to the following should be limited to 500 words or less:

· Please describe the personal characteristics you possess and the life experiences you have had that would contribute to your success at becoming an outstanding Osteopathic Physician. Please include information that will enable the Admissions Committee to understand your unique qualities.

· Please describe your exposure to and understanding of Osteopathic Medicine. Content may include your initial introduction to the profession, its history, use in medical practice today, or any other aspects that may highlight Osteopathic Medicine’s uniqueness and synergy with your envisioned future practice of medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very interested in applying, but I heard Touro screens out anyone with a MCAT and GPA less than their criteria. Does anyone know what those numbers may be?

I'm very interested in applying, but I heard Touro screens out anyone with a MCAT and GPA less than their criteria. Does anyone know what those numbers may be?
They apparently love 30+ but their average gpa isn't terribly high. Something like a 3.4.

Straight from their website: "Typically, successful candidates earn Science and Cumulative GPA's of 3.0 or greater and have obtained a minimum combined MCAT score of 23 or better, though the Admissions and Standards Committee will, on a case by case basis, look below these figures."

still waiting on that secondary! ahhh hope it comes in soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Straight from their website: "Typically, successful candidates earn Science and Cumulative GPA's of 3.0 or greater and have obtained a minimum combined MCAT score of 23 or better, though the Admissions and Standards Committee will, on a case by case basis, look below these figures."
Ehhh not to be a Debbie-downer but I think they say this to give anyone in that stat range a glimmer of hope so they can rake in the $100 secondary fee. Just like Touro-NY, they really love the high MCAT and average gpas.

Ehhh not to be a Debbie-downer but I think they say this to give anyone in that stat range a glimmer of hope so they can rake in the $100 secondary fee. Just like Touro-NY, they really love the high MCAT and average gpas.
How closely does Touro stick to its averages? I'm applying with a 3.31 sGPA/3.27 cGPA/32 MCAT.

I asked one of the reps at a pre med event in SF and he pretty much told me they care most about high stats.

How closely does Touro stick to its averages? I'm applying with a 3.31 sGPA/3.27 cGPA/32 MCAT.
I think their sGPA is around a 3.4 but you are roughly a point above average on the MCAT so my guess is that you're competitive for Touro CA

:: phew :: just got the secondary! guess another batch was sent out...

:: phew :: just got the secondary! guess another batch was sent out...
When was your primary verified? I got mine in kinda late and wasn't verified until July 10th.

When was your primary verified? I got mine in kinda late and wasn't verified until July 10th.

i was verified 6/2, but my information was sent to schools 6/19

i was verified 6/2, but my information was sent to schools 6/19

Is there that delay for everyone? On AACOMAS, when it says "submitted to aacomas" next to every school I applied to, does that just mean they have me verified but haven't sent out my info yet? If got the verification email last week.

Is there that delay for everyone? On AACOMAS, when it says "submitted to aacomas" next to every school I applied to, does that just mean they have me verified but haven't sent out my info yet? If got the verification email last week.

I think the delay might have been for people who applied super early, but I'm not sure. If there is a date of submission next to the school on aacomas and there is a pdf of your application to that school, that means it has been submitted to the schools!

So it says that the resume is optional for applicants applying to their undergraduate institutions but does anyone know if it's required for us? I already have one made from the Midwestern secondaries but I honestly don't like it much and there's nothing on there that isn't on my primary.

I already recevied the secondary, but after checked out their average MCAT 30.1, I hesitated to submit my secondary lol.

According to AACOMAS my info was sent to schools on 7/10. I've gotten secondaries from other D.O. schools but not Touro-CA. Hoping they send me one soon because it's one of my top choices! Does anyone know if Touro puts an upper limit on how high your GPA and MCAT are? Mine are somewhat high for Touro (3.7/35) and someone told me some schools put upper limits on your LizzyM score. I'm really hoping Touro-CA isn't one of them because I'd be thrilled to go there.
I don't know about an upper limit, but they take a while to send secondaries. I applied last cycle and experienced that. I am starting there this Fall.

I don't know about an upper limit, but they take a while to send secondaries. I applied last cycle and experienced that. I am starting there this Fall.
That's good to hear, I think I'm just being overly anxious haha. Congrats on getting in!

How heavy do they screen the primary? Is it worth submitting the secondary with my stats? cgpa: 3.15 sgpa: 3.11 mcat: 27 (vr: 8, ps: 10, bs: 9)

How heavy do they screen the primary? Is it worth submitting the secondary with my stats? cgpa: 3.15 sgpa: 3.11 mcat: 27 (vr: 8, ps: 10, bs: 9)
I would say no TBH. You're below average for both GPA and MCAT.

You should be okay. I got it with a 3.15 cGPA, 3.14 sGPA, 26 (8/8/10). I also have a masters degree in graduate biology, non-traditional, and disadvantaged. Strong LORs, TONS of clinical and volunteer experience, research experience, and a very compelling story. Good luck to you. Keep up hope and don't become discouraged.

Reactions: 1 users
Jesus and I thought the MSUCOM secondary was bad... T___T

Reactions: 1 users
Released 7/3 at this school but no secondary yet. Should I be concerned?

They interview until May, so I think you guys are safe. Relax.

Released 7/3 and received secondary yesterday. I'm pretty sure they send secondaries out in batches and chronologically in the order they received applications.

Jesus and I thought the MSUCOM secondary was bad... T___T

On the bright side, longer apps mean that there is more secondary app turnaround attrition AND it provides you with more opportunities to shine... At least that's what I keep telling myself, anyway. Good luck!

how are my odds here?

3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 MCAT

released 7/14 and still no secondary. anyone else experience the long wait time? I'm IS/3.8/30MCAT. Should I call and ask or just wait a little longer?

released 7/14 and still no secondary. anyone else experience the long wait time? I'm IS/3.8/30MCAT. Should I call and ask or just wait a little longer?

Just received the secondary, OOS. You'll be fine my numbers are lower.

Does anyone know if the screening is beyond numbers?

Touro CA and NY (Harlem) are MCAT obsessed. I think their average is either 30 or 31 but they don't seem to care too much about gpa since it is around ~3.4 so if you are 30+ MCAT and sort of lacking in your GPA, i.e. < 3.3, you should be in good shape.

just received my secondary today! primary released to touro on 7/17.
anyone know if you can send more than 2 letters of rec or is it strictly 2 max? also I just noticed I had to forward my official mcat score to AACOM so none of my DO schools have my official MCAT. Once AACOM receives my official MCAT score, will it automatically be forwarded to the schools? thanks!

Just wanted to know if applying in November would be too late.
CGPA-3.5
MCAT-36

usual extracurricular
two years research, conference
medical shadowing
doctor shadowing
worked in a animal science facility

How are you guys submitting the secondary? As answers under the questions? or in essay format in a new doc?

Definitely worth submitting. They screen the primary more than other schools and if you have an otherwise well rounded app you'll probably get an interview.

how are my odds here? 3.5 sgpa/3.3cgpa/3.9 post bacc/30 MCAT

Very good.

Does anyone know if the screening is beyond numbers?

Touro CA and NY (Harlem) are MCAT obsessed. I think their average is either 30 or 31 but they don't seem to care too much about gpa since it is around ~3.4 so if you are 30+ MCAT and sort of lacking in your GPA, i.e. < 3.3, you should be in good shape.

This is about right, the focus is on MCAT and if you have a high score there tends to be more leeway with your GPA. While the primary screen tends to be more numbers driven, and the interview more focused on extracurriculars, there are exceptions. If you have abysmal scores / grades then almost nothing will help you, but if you're within the bell curve so to speak then some strong ECs or research will be a benefit.

Just wanted to know if applying in November would be too late.

You'll probably still get an interview, but the later they go in the season the fewer people they select from each group. Given your stats if you have no major deficits / red flags you should have a good shot.

Yaaaaaaaaaay I just got a secondary even though my GPA is below their cutoff

underdogs what up.

(I think I saw it was something like nothing below a 3.25)

EDIT: did anyone upload his or her resume? i'm not sure if we have to or not, it says:

Resume Upload (optional for Undergraduate applicants)

Last edited: