Touro University - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how many questions does each interviewee get? i heard it is 1 hour long total for the 5 interviewees so I guess there won't be too many?

Members don't see this ad.

Group interview is not a relaxed interview at all. To be honest, you are in the room to interview with 4 other candidates and I am sure that the rest of them rooting for you to fall miserably. It is just the nature of human competition, no hard feeling though
Lol, don't be neurotic

how many questions does each interviewee get? i heard it is 1 hour long total for the 5 interviewees so I guess there won't be too many?
You get a couple, not too many.

Members don't see this ad :)
What exactly did you say in the email to them? I have been verified since late October without a secondary invite.
Sorry for the late reply. I just asked what the status of my application was. I was verified middle of October. Have you heard from them?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I signed up for a Dec 15th interview slot at the last minute but my confirmation email came for Dec. 16th. Does anyone have interviews on the 15th or 16th?? I have tried contacting admissions but they haven't responded. Thanks!

@LaHolla91 No worries, I'm interviewing tomorrow as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call the Admissions Office directly to clear up any misunderstandings about 15th vs 16th :)

@LaHolla91 No worries, I'm interviewing tomorrow as well. It wouldn't be a bad idea to call the Admissions Office directly to clear up any misunderstandings about 15th vs 16th :)

Thanks! Yeah I just showed up today and that worked out. :)

Sorry for the late reply. I just asked what the status of my application was. I was verified middle of October. Have you heard from them?

No problem! I just received their secondary.

I am seeking out advices from current students. Are all lectures recorded? Do you absolutely have to come to school everyday (anatomy schedule)? I plan to live in my mother's house in San Jose to save money; so I dont plan to come to school everyday due to driving distance. Is that even possible? just on very tight budget. Thanks in advance.

I am seeking out advices from current students. Are all lectures recorded? Do you absolutely have to come to school everyday (anatomy schedule)? I plan to live in my mother's house in San Jose to save money; so I dont plan to come to school everyday due to driving distance. Is that even possible? just on very tight budget. Thanks in advance.

Lectures are recorded but I don't know if commuting from San Jose is very wise as it takes probably over an hour each way or more depending on the traffic. You will have mandatory labs and discussion sessions (in which you have quizzes and small assignments due) not only for anatomy but for other classes too (histology, pathology, OMM, doctoring) so at the very least you'll for sure need to come Tuesday through Thursday. Plus these mandatory classes start at 8 so you'd be getting up at 6 to make it on time. Medical school is hard enough as it is so adding stressors like 6+ hours of commuting every week would make it even harder.

Hope that helps. I'm a TUCOM grad c/o 2014.

Lectures are recorded but I don't know if commuting from San Jose is very wise as it takes probably over an hour each way or more depending on the traffic. You will have mandatory labs and discussion sessions (in which you have quizzes and small assignments due) not only for anatomy but for other classes too (histology, pathology, OMM, doctoring) so at the very least you'll for sure need to come Tuesday through Thursday. Plus these mandatory classes start at 8 so you'd be getting up at 6 to make it on time. Medical school is hard enough as it is so adding stressors like 6+ hours of commuting every week would make it even harder.

Hope that helps. I'm a TUCOM grad c/o 2014.

Think Berkeley is more doable?

Members don't see this ad :)
People who interviewed 12/08/14 should get their unofficial decisions e-mailed out today.

Does anybody know if Touro California has early patient encounters in the pre-clinical years? i.e. standardized patients, high fidelity mannequins, etc.? Or if not, do students go seeking their own by shadowing in clinics, etc.? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Think Berkeley is more doable?

Berkeley is fine as long as you're somewhat near the freeway. I lived there the first two years and the commute was opposite of rush hour traffic, usually ~30 minutes each way with one $5 toll per day. If you live in the hills or around College Ave / Elmwood it can easily add another 20-30 minutes to the commute. Living in San Jose would be a horrible commute and would add a big stressor to an already difficult time. Why not just rent a room on the island for weekdays and go home on the weekends? A few thousand more per year in loans, in the scheme of things, is worth it for the sake of sanity.

People who interviewed 12/08/14 should get their unofficial decisions e-mailed out today.

Does anybody know if Touro California has early patient encounters in the pre-clinical years? i.e. standardized patients, high fidelity mannequins, etc.? Or if not, do students go seeking their own by shadowing in clinics, etc.? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Lots of standardized patient encounters and OSCEs during the first two years. Also opportunities to shadow faculty, student-run clinic, suitcase clinic, etc.

Yes, TUCOM-CA has standardized patient encounters almost weekly in your doctoring labs and then block testing includes standardized patient encounters. There is also something called "Early Clinical Experience" which is a course where you're assigned to go to clinics, nursing homes, etc to performed histories and physicals (H&P's). There are also opportunities outside of these classes at the Berkeley Suitcase Clinic for OMM and the Student-Run Health Clinic in Vallejo for OMM, health screenings, and H&P's.

The mannequin thing I'm not sure about anymore as I've been off campus for a few years now. There are mannequins for your BLS/ACLS trainings but other than that I'm not sure why you'd need "high fidelity" mannequins in medical school.

Interviewed 12/08. Accepted!

Reactions: 1 users
Berkeley is fine as long as you're somewhat near the freeway. I lived there the first two years and the commute was opposite of rush hour traffic, usually ~30 minutes each way with one $5 toll per day. If you live in the hills or around College Ave / Elmwood it can easily add another 20-30 minutes to the commute. Living in San Jose would be a horrible commute and would add a big stressor to an already difficult time. Why not just rent a room on the island for weekdays and go home on the weekends? A few thousand more per year in loans, in the scheme of things, is worth it for the sake of sanity.

I'm also thinking about living in Berkeley. Would living in Northside be too far of a commute?

A few people have PM'd me, which I am very thankful for. And thank you for offering to help me. It's really great to get an insider's perspective. I will take your advice and PM you with questions.
Just interviewed here, 6000 apps, 500 interviews, 135 seats.
And DO NOT stay in Vallejo. I was offered drugs, someone tried to buy me (thought a was a prostitute- accidentally stayed at a drug motel) and the window on my car got smashed in (as did a bunch of others with OOS plates). Aside from the unsafe area- I was very impressed with the school and facilities. I am not trying to talk down on the school, I just want to warn you that if you are interviewing here, stay in Benicia- its a 15 minute drive and MUCH safer.
Are you from Arizona? I think we interviewed on the same day. :)

I never received a secondary application invite here (submitted AACOMAS app in late August)...do they choose who can submit secondaries here or is this something I should contact them about?

i'm in the same boat! a friend of mine called them to ask about and they told her she was supposed to receive a secondary. my stats are below average so I'm scared to call and ask them but I'm considering filling out a secondary anyways even though it's so late :(

i'm in the same boat! a friend of mine called them to ask about and they told her she was supposed to receive a secondary. my stats are below average so I'm scared to call and ask them but I'm considering filling out a secondary anyways even though it's so late :(

I waited for a while as well and eventually sent them an email. Received a secondary shortly after.

It is very late and I'm not sure how full the class is but I'd send a secondary anyway. There is always some movement as (lucky) people gain more acceptances and make their choices. You never know...

They have some sort of technical issue going on...They'll resend it ifyou call or email them.

Also, DO schools have much later deadlines than MD schools. You can submit your secondary to Touro CA as late as April 15th, for example. There is still plenty of time for your application to be seen.

I am interviewing on Jan 13th! Any recommendations on which airport I should fly in? Flights out leave around 4pm, so if we are done at 1:30, i need to book it to the airport. I am thinking Sacramento would be the fastest due to less traffic and the airport is outside the city??? Never been to the area so any advice would be great! Thanks!

I am interviewing on Jan 13th! Any recommendations on which airport I should fly in? Flights out leave around 4pm, so if we are done at 1:30, i need to book it to the airport. I am thinking Sacramento would be the fastest due to less traffic and the airport is outside the city??? Never been to the area so any advice would be great! Thanks!
Fly into Oakland. There's a shuttle directly to the Marriott. It is in a safe area unlike other hotels. The Marriott will shuttle you to the interview. After the interview, you can shuttle back to the hotel and then board the airport shuttle. Shut it was something like $39 each way. Hotel shuttle is free. Confirm all this with your reservation.

Interviewing on the 13th as well but I'm local

Thanks you too!
Good to see another Crossfitter here :) congrats! Do you think you'll be attending?

Nope, didn't like the school and got WL anyways! Good luck!

So I lost the paper I wrote who we email for the unofficial decision. Is it the director of admissions we email? Thank you!

Steven Davis; [email protected]. E-mail him for an unofficial decision and official ones are sent in the mail (in the event of a discrepancy, postal mail decisions are the correct ones).

I'm still waiting for the email too. I'll email Davis if its not out by today >.>

Just got an unofficial email from Mr. Davis. Accepted to the class of 2019! :D

ii yesterday! Very excited to interview here, especially since I hail from the midwest (or east or south or north.. depends on who you ask).

My question then (that wasn't answered in an earlier post on this forum): can someone go into more detail beyond what's listed on the website on the MPH program? Is it completely online, no additional years of education, how many people/percent of the class enroll vs. complete, etc? Thanks!

ii yesterday! Very excited to interview here, especially since I hail from the midwest (or east or south or north.. depends on who you ask).

My question then (that wasn't answered in an earlier post on this forum): can someone go into more detail beyond what's listed on the website on the MPH program? Is it completely online, no additional years of education, how many people/percent of the class enroll vs. complete, etc? Thanks!

When was your secondary application complete?

For those accepted, mind sharing your stats?

Congratulations everyone on your acceptances. Touro is a good school to train and if you work hard there will be tons of great opportunities open to you for residency.

If you're rejected pre-interview, will it be updated to say so on the portal? Or will we just be notified by email? Is there a point in checking the Touro university/college portal until you have an interview?

Trying to figure out different portal systems for some of these med schools...

Hello SDN, been a long time lurker.

I interview here on 2/3. Any advice for the interview? Any materials to study before going in (LoL)?