Touro University Nevada DPT Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Guys!
I have a low GPA... but initially when applying I was pretty naive and applied to a lot of reach schools. Then, I realized my mistake and added some schools that consider highest grade when calculating GPA, have lower requirements, etc. Now, I've recently decided I should have focused on schools with lower avg GPA's accepted. As you all know, it is late in the application cycle, but Touro's deadline has not passed. Is it even worth applying, or do you think it's just way too late in the cycle? I definitely value Touro as a school, but at the same time I don't want to waste money on something that isn't even a possibility. Thank you!!

It's hard to say whether or not the time has passed for you to get in. Honestly, it's still pretty early in the application cycle in general, and many schools have not sent out their acceptances. TUN has rolling admissions, so many of us have already received our acceptance letters, but I'm sure that many of those people accepted will go elsewhere once more schools start releasing their acceptances. I think your best bet would be to maybe contact the DPT department at TUN and ask about their waitlist. See how deep it is currently, see how it is ranked (time vs. stats), and maybe that could give you a better idea. If that all sounds like too much, and honestly this is a horrible time of year to try to contact any school, I would say just apply and see what happens. I've seen it said on here before that TUN accepts students up to the day classes start, so who knows.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For you Touro guys (and girls :)), am I reading their website correctly - is it really $30,000 a year? I was reading about their program today and considering adding it to my list to apply to next year, but not if it's truly 30k a year..

Hi Heather. I believe you're correct, it's slightly less than 30k a year. However, there are some upsides to it. Cost of living is relatively cheap in Henderson, and many of the apartment complexes there look like resorts. Also, if you planned to stay in the Henderson/Las Vegas area for a little bit after graduating, the average salary for PTs there is significantly higher than most of the country, especially when you account for cost of living. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, annual mean wage for PTs in the Las Vegas area in 2012 was just over 117k (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291123.htm), and when you are renting a nice apartment in a safe city for $600 a month, I think the numbers speak for themselves.

With all that being said, yes TUN is expensive. So are pretty much all other private schools with a DPT program. If you get into a cheaper school, I would say go there. However, simply because TUN is on the more expensive side doesn't make it unreasonable, especially when you look at schools in areas like California and New York that have similar tuitions (if not more) and cost of living that is double if not triple that of the Las Vegas area.

If you do decide to apply to TUN, my only word of advice is APPLY AS EARLY AS YOU CAN (they have rolling admissions). My GPA is on the lower side due to mistakes early in my college career, but you can see a drastic difference between my grades today and back then. I had slightly above average GRE scores and my prerequisite GPA was pretty good. Considering all that, especially the lower GPA, I was accepted very early and now I see people with stats much better than mine being waitlisted.

Hope this helps! Good luck applying next year!

Just received word that I've been wait listed. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Heather. I believe you're correct, it's slightly less than 30k a year. However, there are some upsides to it. Cost of living is relatively cheap in Henderson, and many of the apartment complexes there look like resorts. Also, if you planned to stay in the Henderson/Las Vegas area for a little bit after graduating, the average salary for PTs there is significantly higher than most of the country, especially when you account for cost of living. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, annual mean wage for PTs in the Las Vegas area in 2012 was just over 117k (http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes291123.htm), and when you are renting a nice apartment in a safe city for $600 a month, I think the numbers speak for themselves.

With all that being said, yes TUN is expensive. So are pretty much all other private schools with a DPT program. If you get into a cheaper school, I would say go there. However, simply because TUN is on the more expensive side doesn't make it unreasonable, especially when you look at schools in areas like California and New York that have similar tuitions (if not more) and cost of living that is double if not triple that of the Las Vegas area.

If you do decide to apply to TUN, my only word of advice is APPLY AS EARLY AS YOU CAN (they have rolling admissions). My GPA is on the lower side due to mistakes early in my college career, but you can see a drastic difference between my grades today and back then. I had slightly above average GRE scores and my prerequisite GPA was pretty good. Considering all that, especially the lower GPA, I was accepted very early and now I see people with stats much better than mine being waitlisted.

Hope this helps! Good luck applying next year!

Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it! I think I'll be adding this one to my handful of schools I'm applying to :)

Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it! I think I'll be adding this one to my handful of schools I'm applying to :)

No problem! Now I wonder if TUN will cut me a check for that write-up...

I got waitlisted too. I thought they would wait to decide until the academic update, since the deadline is soft and isn't until February...oh well...

I got waitlisted too. I thought they would wait to decide until the academic update, since the deadline is soft and isn't until February...oh well...

You are correct! However, they also have rolling admissions. Some of us got acceptance letters back in October. So to anyone reading this and thinking about applying, APPLY AS EARLY AS YOU CAN. They really want to fill up their classes are they are on it pretty early!

Just wait though, who knows.. you might still be accepted. I've heard they keep a pretty deep waitlist.

Hey Guys!
I have a low GPA... but initially when applying I was pretty naive and applied to a lot of reach schools. Then, I realized my mistake and added some schools that consider highest grade when calculating GPA, have lower requirements, etc. Now, I've recently decided I should have focused on schools with lower avg GPA's accepted. As you all know, it is late in the application cycle, but Touro's deadline has not passed. Is it even worth applying, or do you think it's just way too late in the cycle? I definitely value Touro as a school, but at the same time I don't want to waste money on something that isn't even a possibility. Thank you!!

I feel like it is tougher at this point to get into Touro. I applied there in September and didn't get in because I was just under their science gpa requirement. During that time I was watching this forum and a lot of people were getting in.

Hi guys! I am waitlisted here, anyone else in the same boat? I emailed to see if they has established a waitlist rank yet and they have not. I am really hoping to get in, wondering what my chances are!

Hi guys! I am waitlisted here, anyone else in the same boat? I emailed to see if they has established a waitlist rank yet and they have not. I am really hoping to get in, wondering what my chances are!

I'm in the same boat. From these forums it looks like the class is full, but as some students get accepted into their top choices Touro will then start pulling from the wait list.

People, Touro is a "safety" school for a lot of applicants. Therefore, like myself, people will often turn down Touro for their top choices, leaving spots open for those who didn't get in to their top schools.

Stop stressing. There will be plenty of spots that open up and they will then pull deep into the wait-list. Keep your heads up! Whooo-saaaa!

JD

Hello Touro applicants -

I visited Touro in December. I will provide my comments on the campus at the end of my post.

At this moment the admissions coordinator mentioned that the class is full and he did not disclose how large or small the wait list is. However, he has reported that last year students were notified throughout the entire application cycle when students who originally deposited decide to go elsewhere. JDaniels is correct; some students use Touro as a safety school, whereas others (like myself) have Touro as one of their target schools. For me Touro has been my only acceptance and I have received multiple wait-list/rejection letters. The admissions department also mentioned that some students were notified 1 month even 1 WEEK before class starts with an e-mail notifying them that a seat has opened for them.

Remember, it is only January and there are plenty of programs still reviewing applications.

As for the campus - it is one large business building (2 floors) but the campus is fairly new. I extremely love the lab room because there are close to about 50 hi/low tables for the PT students to use to study. They do have a cadaver lab (roughly 4-5 students/cadaver) but the cadavers are already pre-dissected. Each student gets a locker of which they can put their personal belongings in. Walking through Touro reminded me of middle school & high school, which I like. The layout of the classrooms and wings of the building make it so that PT students can easily interact with other students (it's closest to PA and OT classrooms). Touro also has observation rooms that use mock doctor's officers and rooms where the DO students can practice evaluating patients while instructors view via camera and microphone. The patients that are in these simulation rooms are acting students from UNLV. Although PT students do not use this feature, I find this unique to Touro because not all PT or med school programs have such a feature.

Neighborhood - Henderson is quiet, yet you are 20-25 minutes away from Las Vegas. Housing is also relatively cheap. Being a Los Angeles native myself, the price of a 3 bedroom apartment in Henderson is the same price as a 1 bedroom studio apartment in LA.

Lastly, I was most attracted to their inter-disciplinary days where they spend one day where all professions (DO, OT, PT, PA, RN, etc) to work together with a case to figure out how each clinical team member works together. I find this extremely important and will allow students to get a better understanding of their roles once they dive into their clinicals.

I wish everyone luck on their applications! For those who were accepted - look for us on the facebook page!

Members don't see this ad :)
For everyone on the waitlist...

I was accepted off the waitlist last year a month before school started. Keep your hopes up!

For everyone on the waitlist...

I was accepted off the waitlist last year a month before school started. Keep your hopes up!
Are you attending there now? How do you like it if you are?

"I was accepted off the waitlist last year a month before school started. Keep your hopes up!"

I have prayed to my deity of choice and now all I have to do is wait for that glorious day to arrive.

"I was accepted off the waitlist last year a month before school started. Keep your hopes up!"

I have prayed to my deity of choice and now all I have to do is wait for that glorious day to arrive.
If your deity of choice comes

if your deity of choice comes through can you let us know which one you went with lol

Yes, I am attending now. I really like the school, it has a good atmosphere. First year is a lot of info to take in, but that's expected with anatomy, kines, neuro etc.. The school year is longer, at least it seems like it, early July-mid May (where I am from we get 3.5 months for summer). The school is small, both the 15s/16s share 2 classrooms. You take anatomy with the PAs and neuro with the OTs. Someone above mentioned all the programs (PT, DO, RN, OT, PA) having days of collaboration.. those aren't all they are cracked up to be, no one wanted to be there and it was essentially 4 DOs talking the whole time trying to outsmart each other. Parking can be an issue mainly when the DOs start (august sometime), but if you get there early enough you'll be fine.

Often times there will be free food sitting out! I think it is for the DO students.. oops

If you have more specific questions I can try to answer them in a PM. Although, I don't regularly check this site anymore.

I know this has been brought up before but I'm still having some trouble looking for housing. Are there any specific apartment complexes that are suggested and any to stay away from?

I know this has been brought up before but I'm still having some trouble looking for housing. Are there any specific apartment complexes that are suggested and any to stay away from?

Hello! First off, are you in the Facebook group yet? I'm assuming you have been accepted. If not, you should join! There has been some talk about housing there. Next, have you checked out www.tunlive.com? There are a few apartment complexes listed there that are close to campus. As for what to stay away from... your best bet is www.apartmentratings.com. Look everything up there and read all the reviews. There are clearly lots of fake reviews, but make sure you read all of them, as there will be some real ones. There are a TON of apartment complexes in Henderson, some seem great and some seen kinda bad (cockroach infestations, noise complexes, horrible neighbors, etc), however, being in Henderson... people say that pretty much anywhere you go will be alright. Also, be sure to check out the Green Valley area of Henderson, as that's supposed to be the nicest area of Henderson. Again, there are TONS of apartment complexes everywhere.

What is your budget? Are you hoping to have a roommate? One current TUN student said that the best thing to do in the area is rent/buy a house, because you can get something super nice for really cheap in that area. But that's hard to do from far away. Best bet would probably be to get an apartment first year, then switch to a house later if you want.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions that I might be able to help with. I've been doing tons of research myself, so I'm definitely feeling the stress of moving there (I'm coming from the mid-west).

Has anyone waitlisted heard anything as a late?

Has anyone waitlisted heard anything as a late?

Hey first time on here. I am waitlisted and have heard nothing although I do have a friend who has already been accepted off the waitlist. A few weeks ago I emailed asking if they were going to number the waitlist and they said after things started moving they would. I am assuming that meant after other schools starting accepting and spots started opening up.

Hey guys! How's your search for housing going? Any of you find anything that looks good? What kind of housing are you planning on getting: apartment? condo? buy a house? There are so many options in Henderson it's hard to choose! Especially with some of the complexes near Touro having such poor reviews online. I've seen some a bit further away with better reviews, and they're a little more expensive... but the peace of mind may be worth it. Let us know if you have anything to share!

Any updates on the waitlist from Touro? Has it been ranked?

Got accepted from the waitlist about 10 days ago and have been trying to get in the facebook group but no luck so far. Anybody else have this problem?

Got accepted from the waitlist about 10 days ago and have been trying to get in the facebook group but no luck so far. Anybody else have this problem?
I'm in the group send me a message with your name I'll try to add you!

Just got my acceptance email today for Touro. I applied at the beginning of september. Still waiting on my other schools but very excited that I will definitely be going to PT school in the fall. Especially since I did not get in anywhere the last cycle. Good luck everyone!
Hi, do you mind sharing your statistics. I'm also reapplying and considering TUN