Program-Specific Info / Q's Touro University Nevada vs. University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeaner

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was just accepted to Touro University's OT program and I have an interview at the University of Utah coming up. I have been weighing the pros and cons of each program and was wondering if anybody else has had any experiences with either school. It is possible I won't get accepted to the U but it is always good to be prepared.
TUN
Pros:
- 2 year program
- nice weather
- well organized curriculum
- decent housing options
Cons:
- Accelerated program= heavy workload
- Not as much name recognition.

U of Utah
Pros:
- Human Dissection anatomy course
- Lower tuition
- Good name recognition
- Free public transportation for students
Cons:
- Housing is expensive in SLC
- Program is 2.5 years

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about touro, but here are some things I can tell you about the U. I'm assuming you don't live in Salt Lake/Utah. Also I have an interview here too, and I'm just telling you what I heard/observed.

I've heard the 2nd to last semester is probably the most pointless, but added for future chance of eventually switching to OTD.

A lot of the OTs I've shadowed from here have been great, and they loved their time in the program. It also seems like the alumni are involved.

I personally love that the program offers in depth anatomy/neuro anatomy (2nd semester). I only applied to schools that offer it because I believe it will be beneficial (especially as they are starting to learn even more about neurobiology right now).

You don't need to live in Salt Lake City proper, you could find places in sugarhouse, Millcreek, Holliday, Murray and easily find a bus or take Trax to get to campus.

I took the intro to OT class there, and loved it. The staff in the building are friendly. During one fieldwork experience you'll be in the community and have the opportunity to design programs for that area.

The weather really isn't too bad. We have had more snow this winter then the past few years, but it's not that bad. The worst part is the inversion we get in the winter (and occasionally summer). Summer can get warm, but it's rarely unbearably warm.

Lastly since the AOTA conference is in SLC next year, I imagine every student will be able to attend.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't know much about touro, but here are some things I can tell you about the U. I'm assuming you don't live in Salt Lake/Utah. Also I have an interview here too, and I'm just telling you what I heard/observed.

I've heard the 2nd to last semester is probably the most pointless, but added for future chance of eventually switching to OTD.

A lot of the OTs I've shadowed from here have been great, and they loved their time in the program. It also seems like the alumni are involved.

I personally love that the program offers in depth anatomy/neuro anatomy (2nd semester). I only applied to schools that offer it because I believe it will be beneficial (especially as they are starting to learn even more about neurobiology right now).

You don't need to live in Salt Lake City proper, you could find places in sugarhouse, Millcreek, Holliday, Murray and easily find a bus or take Trax to get to campus.

I took the intro to OT class there, and loved it. The staff in the building are friendly. During one fieldwork experience you'll be in the community and have the opportunity to design programs for that area.

The weather really isn't too bad. We have had more snow this winter then the past few years, but it's not that bad. The worst part is the inversion we get in the winter (and occasionally summer). Summer can get warm, but it's rarely unbearably warm.

Lastly since the AOTA conference is in SLC next year, I imagine every student will be able to attend.
Cool. Thanks for the info. I was thinking of living in Provo/Orem and commuting (I'm not a fan of salt lake county). Have you been accepted or interviewed other places? When is your interview with the U?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed with the University of North Dakota last week, and my interview is at 8:30am on the 10th.

Oh yeah, if you aren't familiar with the U and plan on driving to the interview, give yourself extra time as it is a high traffic area.

I just interviewed with the University of North Dakota last week, and my interview is at 8:30am on the 10th.

Oh yeah, if you aren't familiar with the U and plan on driving to the interview, give yourself extra time as it is a high traffic area.
How did your interview go with the U?