Touro vs. CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SAK

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have input as to which school would be better to attend (location aside)? I have been accepted to TUCOM and CCOM, but am a bit weary of how young Touro is. Will this have any effect on residency selection? Does one school have nicer facilities or better teaching hospitals? I never had a chance to visit Mare Island while interviewing at Touro, so I may be going into this blindly. Any input would be very helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't mean to put any school down but if I were you, I would go to CCOM. My advisor (a COMP graduate) advised me against going to Touro. Their asking for 1/2 the tuition at time of acceptance also kinda perplexed me. Good luck.

[This message has been edited by DO 2 be (edited 01-31-99).]

Thanks for the input DO 2be. If you don't mind me asking, why would you choose CCOM? Is it because of its reputation, and being an established school? Just curious, thanks. By the way, are you considering either of these schools?....perhaps we interviewed together.

SAK, I interviewed at neither. I would choose CCOM 'coz it's more established and thus have a more established curriculum and will likely have affiliations with hospitals with more established clinical programs. You'll be more taken care of in your rotations and residencies, IMHO. The school at least has had >1 graduating classes and know what works and what doesn't for them as far as curriculum and rotation/residency matching are concerned. Hospitals will have known the reputation of students from your school (quality, etc.). Plus, I think CCOM has a hospital nearby. My school (KCOM) has one and we have 2-3 lectures a week from hospital staff during our anatomy course (eg. thoracic surgeon when we are learning about the thoracic cavity) plus an opportunity to scrub in. Last year's 2nd years have 3 main rotations sites; this year 2nd years have 8. Board passing rate went from 85% to >95% the last few years and 98% for last year. KCOM is also moving towards a seamless 7-year education (4 years at KCOM and 3 years at a hospital, all intergrated). That would be impossible at a newer school. And the Midwest and East Coast are more DO-friendly than the West. At the time of my application, Touro wasn't fully accredited; it probably is now. The school doesn't make you a good doctor; they only provide the means thru which you can become a good doctor. It's you who decide what you wanna be. The school that's good for me is not necessarily so for you. Hope this helps somewhat in your decision between the two.
Good luck and welcome to the DO family.
MS1 KCOM