This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjsmiles

Reaction score
I was fortunate to have been accepted into Touro and Temple Dental School. I have been waitlisted at Buffalo and UNE. Still waiting on responses from 4 more schools. If any Touro or Temple students could chime in on their experience at school it would be much appreciated.

TOURO
Pros:
- Cheaper
- Close to home, only a ~22min commute. Would have that extra emotional support from family and friends.
- Brand new state of the art facilities, labs, clinics.

Cons:
- Does not seem as strong clinically. Seems that D3 & D4 students team up to share their patients and the D3s are more the assistants of D4s? Can anyone verify this.
- Not as established as Temple. It would most likely have the growing pains of a new school.

TEMPLE
Pros:
-Strong school clinically. Spoke to a D3 (who was nice enough to give me a call to congratulate me on the acceptance) who informed me that as a D3 they have their own patients. And on average would probably do 80 extractions before graduation.
- Established and credible school.

Cons:
- More expensive. Roughly 400k with living expenses, where as touro is 307k (as i could live at home).
- Does not offer instate tuition after first year. From what I hear it is very hard to get a PA residency.
- 2.5 hours from home

Any guidance or advise would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I was fortunate to have been accepted into Touro and Temple Dental School. I have been waitlisted at Buffalo and UNE. Still waiting on responses from 4 more schools. If any Touro or Temple students could chime in on their experience at school it would be much appreciated.

TOURO
Pros:
- Cheaper
- Close to home, only a ~22min commute. Would have that extra emotional support from family and friends.
- Brand new state of the art facilities, labs, clinics.

Cons:
- Does not seem as strong clinically. Seems that D3 & D4 students team up to share their patients and the D3s are more the assistants of D4s? Can anyone verify this.
- Not as established as Temple. It would most likely have the growing pains of a new school.

TEMPLE
Pros:
-Strong school clinically. Spoke to a D3 (who was nice enough to give me a call to congratulate me on the acceptance) who informed me that as a D3 they have their own patients. And on average would probably do 80 extractions before graduation.
- Established and credible school.

Cons:
- More expensive. Roughly 400k with living expenses, where as touro is 307k (as i could live at home).
- Does not offer instate tuition after first year. From what I hear it is very hard to get a PA residency.
- 2.5 hours from home

Any guidance or advise would be much appreciated. Thank you.
cheaper and closer to home...

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on your acceptances! Im currently a D1 at Touro. I will say while the growing pains of a new school are definitely present, the professors and faculty really take student recommendations into consideration. They have been very accommodating especially during COVID times. Also the core science classes are taught by NYMC professors with many years of experience so I have not felt any drop off in the quality of my education. I have a few D3 and D4 friends and have been able to talk to them about the clinical experience. I know this is the "cop out" answer but it really depends on who you're partnered up with. Some D3s have been able to take on a lot of patients while other D3s get stuck with a D4 that doesn't let them do anything. So far Touro has improved the system each year and faculty have really been looking after the partner pairs to make sure D3s get enough experience while D4s can take on some of the more complex cases. If you're able to properly study at home I think Touro would be a great choice for you as it is the cheaper option. With that being said I also have friends that go to Temple dental and they have said nothing but positive things about the program itself. They only downside is where the school is located in Philly. Either way you're lucky to be choosing between two great programs! Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
The support from family is huge. Think about how nice it would be to come home from a long day at school and not have to think about cooking dinner or cleaning up your apartment. Those things are big time sinks when you are worrying about finals or boards.

Reactions: 1 user
The support from family is huge. Think about how nice it would be to come home from a long day at school and not have to think about cooking dinner or cleaning up your apartment. Those things are big time sinks when you are worrying about finals or boards.
Exactly right, living at hime with family right now and couldn’t have asked for more, saves a lot of time that is crucial!

Reactions: 1 users