Touro vs. Western COMP

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by SoCal, Oct 24, 2002.

1. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member

I know this has been around before, but is anyone else going through this decision. Time is running out, as well as $$$. Both schools seem to have their pros and cons. What's eveyone thinking...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. maysqrd

maysqrd Go A's!

For me it wasn't a matter of which school was better, it was location. I do not like the Pomona area so I didn't even bother applying to COMP.

This topics has come up a lot and I would advise doing a search in the osteopathic forum under COMP or TUCOM, that is where I found most of the threads on this subject. Goodluck in making your decision.

4. melancholy

melancholy 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Yeah, location of Pomona may not be the most appealing.. certainly is a bit safer than walking around a place like Columbia Med, Hopkins Med, etc. Besides, there are plenty of nice places to live around the area within a 10 minute radius.. and I like the warmer weather.

(Well, I'm wishing for warmer weather right now... sigh)

5. SoCal

SoCal Senior Member

anyone else???

6. jhug

jhug 1K Member

i interviewed and was accepted to both but will be attending AZCOM next fall. I would have to say COMP. Touro is a good school that isn't quite complete yet (imo) I felt that comp has more time/experience, and a better feel on curriculum and rotations than touro. I do think that in the next 5-10 years, touro will be a top osteopathic university, i just wouldn't dedicate my education to estabilshing-- i prefer what is already been established. The resources at comp are really impressive, where i felt touro really lacked on proper classrooms (ie: the old movie theater vs. internet hookups in a stadium seating room with great A/V). In touro's defense-- they do have to follow very strict guidlines in how they remodel each of the buildings.
    Again, both are great schools-- this is just what i felt in my interviews/experiences with each place. Plus, the "island" ;) was a bit baren/secluded for me. (The football field, movie theater, and dorms all boarded up gave me an incredibly eerie feeling.) Congrats on the opportunity to choose where you go!!!