alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Chicago, South Loop
Status (Visible)
Does anyone have comments about the weird location of Touro in Vallejo, CA? I was going to interview there, but when my husband and I were headed up to Napa Valley for our honeymoon, I thought we'd stop by to look at the school. The whole island was deserted and we had to sign a "proceed at your own risk" document and carry a hot pink "warning" sheet around. (very weird) Can any students comment on a similar experience? or, correct me if I am wrong about the whole situation. After seeing this "wasteland" (in my hubby's words), he said he wouldn't want to uproot and move to CA, so we are staying in Chicago, and I am going to CCOM. I was just wondering how the students like it there and what it is REALLY like on Mare Island.
Also, has anyone heard more on the Touro osteopathic school opening in Las Vegas?

Scott_L

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2001
Baltimore, MD
LWW.com
Status (Visible)
I've visited the campus. Very interesting place for a medical school. My reaction was that there are not many distractions for a student. But, I don't think that I would want to drag a spouse there for 4 years. I wasn't impressed with the surroundings.

-Scott

alimarie81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2004
Chicago, South Loop
Status (Visible)
It used to be a naval ship yard, so there are lots of environmental contaminants lurking around there. Not a place for children to play in the sandbox, either. Kind of reminded me of a Superfund site!!

About the Ads

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Yea to be honest before I saw TUCOM it was one of my top choices. After seeing it and seeing how abandoned it looked I didn't like it. It quickly became one of my last choices.

theags

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Touro was one of my top choices numbers wise. It had the highest MCAT and GPA entrance scores of all the other DO schools. Then I went to interview last October. I was highly disappointed. The location didn't bother me as much as the board scores. Touro may have had the best scores going into medical school but the board scores were far lower than I expected. I assumed smart people going in, smart people coming out. I was wrong. That just goes to show you how good of an idicator the MCAT is for predicting success in medical school. Realistically, I would not want to take me wife and child there because of the location. This may have been possible to overlook had their academics been up to par.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2004
Status (Visible)
Just wanted to give those of you who may be turning down Touro b/c of it's location on Mare Island something to think about. If you are choosing another program only because of location--I think you should reconsider. I am a 3rd year and spent 2 years there and it really wasn't all that bad. I spent the first year on the island and the second one, I rented a house about 3 miles off campus in Vallejo. It really is a nice place to be for two years actually. The climate is wonderful, the school is right on the water with easy access to San Francisco. There is a ferry that takes you right into the city. You are also very close to Oakland, Berkeley and Walnut Creek which are all good little cities to play in. Also, you have the added pleasure of being close to the wine country--napa/sonoma/st. Helena, Santa Rosa. So for those times after exams--you can do a winery tour and let loose a bit!

For those of you who have children--I would suggest not living on the island as there were some heavy rumors about the poor evironmental quality of the land b/c of it being an old naval base. Alot of the houses on the island have asbestos warnings etc. However, many of these houses were recently torn down and were apparently going to be rebuilt into some nice housing developments. If you choose to live in Vallejo--there are several apts and houses to rent. Also, there are closeby suburbs ie: American Canyon and Benecia that also have plenty of rental opportunities.

That's my two cents re: the location of Touro-- in re: to the quality of the school/education/clinical ed dept etc. E-mail me directly and I will give some feedback about my personal experience there.

Good luck deciding.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.