Touro??

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by kesh, Nov 8, 1999.

1. kesh

kesh New Member

What can you tell me about Touro? I am wondering how the school is since it is so new. Does it have good facilities and resources (like libraries)? How do the students there like it? Thanks for any info if you have it.

K

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SDCABrian

SDCABrian Junior Member

hi K
    well touro has a brand new building which inclues lecture halls and labs. it looks great except labs are not quite finished yet.
    the library is also new and large.
    the school is on an island so it's very quiet (some construction is going on) and isolated. they have dorms and on campus apts there....look like a nice relax place to live.
    hope this helps
    Brian
    COMP 2004

4. rhillstr

rhillstr Senior Member

I wrote a long note about it to several people who emailed me. Email me and I'll forward the note to you too.

------------------
    AZCOM
    -class of '04

5. MikeZ

MikeZ New Member

Im a student at Touro. It is GREAT, near San Francisco, Napa and on and Island surrounded by water. All the equipment is new and there are very good rotations. I highly recommend it.

6. 8404

8404 Senior Member

what do you want to know and I will tell you?

8404 (TUCOM 2003)

7. kesh

kesh New Member

thanks to those who have responded. 8404: i am interested in anything that you have the time to share. are there any disadvantages to having such a new school and an even newer campus? what kind of benefits do students NOT get until the school graduates it's first class and becomes fully accredited? is the faculty good? is the school environment really competitive and stressful or more cooperative? do you like it? also, what does it mean that the school is afflilated with Kaiser? is it easier to get good rotations and, later, internships/residencies?

Thanks so much.
    Kesh

8. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY

Attending Physician
    What is the cost of living there? I heard it is really high.....

9. 8404

8404 Senior Member

kesh, so far my experience here has been most enjoyable. yes, bugs are still being worked out of the system, but who cares? you will be too busy studying to be concerned and they will probably be well oiled by the time you start. I dont believe having not graduated a class yet matters at all. i know of nothing that i would be priviledged to at another school that i do not have access to now. all the facilities are new, so that is not a problem. some of the people that have interviewed lately have posted some whiney comments on the interview feedback website about the island the school is on and the surrounding area. i love the location. i guess their first impressions were sour. i think of the island as being quite retro-shiek. our campus is quite nice and the island is semi safe since it is separated from the surrounding area. sure, vallejo is kind of dumpy. then dont hang out there! i drive to the island everyday, go to class, then leave the island and hop on the interstate and go home to a nice area to live about fifteen minutes away. many students live on the island in houses they rent from the school, so they are right there. the faculty are great as far as i am concerned. i dont feel my class is competitive, everyone just wants to do the best they can. i dont have a clue about hospital affiliations, i am only a first year so i only worry about the here and now (like class). check the website or call the school. i heard they go to places around this local area, and san fran, vegas, etc... yes, the cost of living is HIGH but you are in cali, baby. if you want cheap rent and nickle drafts then go to erie or kansas city! hope this helps you. im around if you are still curious. good luck.

8404 (tucom 2003)

10. darly

darly Member

I think Touro is a great school, but I may be biased because it's my #1 school. I've been on the island on several occasions... everyone is friendly, the students help each other, and the apartments are really nice. I hope this helped you a bit. If you're still unsure, I'll gladly take your spot at the school [​IMG] Hope to see you next year!

Also for 8404, I know a few people from the class of 2003. Just wondering who you are.

11. 8404

8404 Senior Member

you dont know me.

12. nontradstudent

Rhillstr,

Can you email me your note about Touro? I greatly appreciate it if you could. Also, does anyone have more information about the interview at Touro?

Happy Holidays!!!!

13. J143

J143 Member

Rhillstr,

Can you e-mail me your note as well? I just interviewed there and am looking for any and all info on the school. I loved the school and would love to live in the bay area.

Thanks
    JH