TouroCOM Harlem vs UIWSOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katemed4ever

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm having a hard time choosing between these two schools: TouroCom Harlem in NYC and University of Incarnate Word School of Medicine in San Antonio. I have to make a choice by tonight. Money covering tuition and ~most~ living expenses isn't a huge consideration for me because I'll be doing the military HPSP scholarship. If anyone has any insight, I'd greatly appreciate it.

UIWSOM:

Pros:
-cheaper COL
-classes are P/F
-cheaper tuition
- nice new facilities
-can get big apartment within budget

Cons:
-Newer school and only reported first time pass scores was 86%. Not sure of the most recent year.
-Only uses Problem Based Learning. It feels weird to not have lectures of information to learn. It's a little concerning because it seems very self-directed. Not sure if this matches my learning style.
-may have to move to different parts of TX for rotations
-lots of unknowns given its a new school.

TouroCOM:

Pros:
-In the city. I've lived there before and am familiar with the area
-has high board pass rates
-last class had over 99% match rate
-offers asynchronous lectures + classes
-I have friends that already go to the school
-seems to be more opportunities for research, esp living in a city with other academic research oriented institutions

Cons
-classes are not P/F
-up to 2-3 tests per week
-high cost of living. May have to take out extra $$ to make sure all necessities are covered (I have a dog and therefore can't necessarily live in a shoe box apt)

Members don't see this ad.