TouroCOM New York Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thethirdheat

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those joining TouroCOM class of 2013!

Members don't see this ad.

just sent my deposit today! looking forward to meeting everyone next fall!

How did you guys decide on TOUROCOM NY vs NYCOM? I need some help in this regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Guys,
I am a YR 1 so if you have any questins please let me know. Also don't buy any books / study yet. Enjoy your time off.

Hey

I just submitted my deposit as well. I am not from the NY, actually from Indiana.

I wanted to know if someone else was in the same situation and maybe wanted to live together or look for an apartment. I was thinking midtown area. I really don't know where everything is yet. I am sane, promise. lol.

22- gay male- allergic to pets. let me know.

I am so excited for next year.

email: [email protected]

akipatel: I have no idea what I'm doing for living situation, yet.

Last edited:
I am now another $2000 closer to attending TouroCOM, and unless I get into my state school (Connecticut), it looks like that's where I'll be attending.

akipatel: I have no idea what I'm doing for living situation, yet.

Does anyone have any experience with living right in Harlem? I know people who live on the upper west side and take the subway in, but I've got to imagine the rent is a lot more expensive.

I also received an email from Obed about a student housing non-profit company that has 1 and 2-person dorms http://www.studenthousing.org/
The rent varies quite a bit depending on what you get. Bottom line though is that it is still a dorm. I haven't lived in a dorm for 10 years, so I think an apartment might be better.

Where do you live?

Last edited:
hi there incoming touro students.
i have been living in nyc for the past five years and the best bet is to grab a fellow student and rent an apartment together. www.craigslist.com under no fee apartments. a lot of people get a one bedroom and build a wall in the living room to make a 2 bedroom. there are wall building companies that you can hire around $1400.
hope that helps!:)

and living in harlem isn't the worst but there are sooo many neighborhoods to choose from that are a lot nicer or just better for a student to live in. i live on lower east side and love it.

Hi Guys,
I am a YR 1 so if you have any questins please let me know. Also don't buy any books / study yet. Enjoy your time off.
Hey, I was just wondering- what's your schedule like in terms of the hours of classes every day? Also, what's the parking situation like by the school if I would drive?

Hi all...congrats and look forward to meeting everyone! I expect to send in my deposit in the next few days.

I'm in the class of 2012, and I just wanted to say I look forward to meeting the class of 2013.

We have an OMM practical exam on Friday and the 2nd years have been really good to us in helping us prep for it. They've been really supportive overall, and I think we've all cultivated a great atmosphere of cooperation. We're looking forward to helping you guys next year!

hi. does anyone know when is the orientation weekend and what is the official start date for classes next fall?

Members don't see this ad :)
starts August 3rd, and it is a whole week. Classes start the next monday the 10th.

Hello Class of 2013! I'm also currently a 1st year at TouroCOM. I remember being overwhelmed at this point with trying to find a place to live and how to prepare for the first year of medical school, so if you have any questions about anything...please feel free to ask, or PM me. I'll do my best to help!

I live in Harlem, about 15 blocks from school. It really isn't a bad place to live, but I'll admit there are better areas of Harlem to live than others. Honestly, I'd recommend living up here to anybody, but I understand it's all in your personal preference. There are some extremely nice apartments and condos to live in up here, and they are a lot more affordable than living elsewhere in the city! If yall want anymore details about which areas feel safest or where there are newly renovated places to live, let me know!

Congrats to you all! :)

Hello Class of 2013! I'm also currently a 1st year at TouroCOM. I remember being overwhelmed at this point with trying to find a place to live and how to prepare for the first year of medical school, so if you have any questions about anything...please feel free to ask, or PM me. I'll do my best to help!

I live in Harlem, about 15 blocks from school. It really isn't a bad place to live, but I'll admit there are better areas of Harlem to live than others. Honestly, I'd recommend living up here to anybody, but I understand it's all in your personal preference. There are some extremely nice apartments and condos to live in up here, and they are a lot more affordable than living elsewhere in the city! If yall want anymore details about which areas feel safest or where there are newly renovated places to live, let me know!

Congrats to you all! :)

I live in the lower east side and am looking to move closer to the school. what are some of the better areas around there? Was thinking around 120's west, is that a safe area?

I live in the lower east side and am looking to move closer to the school. what are some of the better areas around there? Was thinking around 120's west, is that a safe area?

Hi, I'm not super familiar with anything right below 125th, but I think that area is overall pretty safe. One of my friends who is a 2nd year, lives on W. 119th and she seems to like it. This is her second year living there, so I'm guessing she doesn't feel safety is an issue. Also, not sure how far West you were thinking, but anything close to Columbia should be fine. Another good thing about the Columbia area is that there will be more places to eat and shop for food... which is one of the things about upper and central Harlem that I would change!

If you don't mind going a little more uptown, there's a really nice area around W. 145th & Frederick Douglass. I am in this area just about everyday. There's a big grocery store (Pathmark), a New York Sports Club (also one on 125th by school), a Starbucks I always study at, a plethora of renovated apartments, and it's right by a A,B,C,D subway stop. The red line is also just a couple avenues away. Hope this helps!

Any other Touro students more familiar with the W. 120s??

will be looking this summer hope there are some good deals up there.

Deposit in! TouroCOM-NY Class of 2013...whoop-di-whoop!

I went ahead and made Facebook group for those who are interested. It's good way to put a screen name to face and get to know one another as well as figure out living situations, get ice-cream, go to the circus, play cops and robbers, see a show, study, etc. with your new classmates.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55956590833

coffeeandtea - Good question. Although I don't know. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

waitwhat out.

Deposit in! TouroCOM-NY Class of 2013...whoop-di-whoop!

I went ahead and made Facebook group for those who are interested. It's good way to put a screen name to face and get to know one another as well as figure out living situations, get ice-cream, go to the circus, play cops and robbers, see a show, study, etc. with your new classmates.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=55956590833

coffeeandtea - Good question. Although I don't know. Maybe someone else can shed some light.

waitwhat out.

just sent my deposit in today too, yay! :) and good job on the facebook group, i was wondering when someone was gonna make one for 2013

hey everyone! i'll be sending in my deposit soon :)

question - is there a white coat ceremony for 1st years? or is it only for 2nd years?

The White Coat Ceremony is just held 2nd year.

Sending in my deposit tomorrow, yay! I am so excited. I haven't seen anyone post the answer to what class hours are like, so if anyone has an answer post please!

Totally random. You must be a MSTRKRFT fan right? I'm waitlisted at TOUROCOM, ranked "high" on the list. So if I get in, good to know I'll have someone to dish with about music.

For those out of the area, when are ya'll planning to move to the Big Apple? Where are you guys planning on living?

Sending in my deposit tomorrow, yay! I am so excited. I haven't seen anyone post the answer to what class hours are like, so if anyone has an answer post please!

During your first semester, you will have classes scheduled for the most part from Monday-Thursday 8 AM - 5 PM and Fridays always end at noon. Everyday you have lunch from 12-1. Lectures are typically in the morning, with labs in the afternoon. Don't freak out though, cause this doesn't mean you're in class all day long. The labs are broken into 2 or 3 different groups, so you'll always have a couple hours per day of free time that you can use for studying, going to the gym, going home early, etc.

As far as our 2nd semester, the schedule itself is pretty much the same format. But many of the days have not been as long.. some starting at 9 instead of 8, or some have been ending at 3 in the afternoon!

For those out of the area, when are ya'll planning to move to the Big Apple? Where are you guys planning on living?

soooo.... here is the plan for me. getting married june 21st. heading back to miami the 22nd. then packing a u-haul the 23rd and then up the 95 to NYC. life is good.

when are you moving up? and where are you looking for a place at?

i think i am going to head up to NYC the 1st week in june and look for a place then. i am trying to decide bt/wn the bronx and harlem. i know there are other places to be, but hey, new york is expensive. and i am down for the adventure.

oh, and random side note. i found this really cool website. http://www.whfoods.org/foodstoc.php
you can click on any of the fruits or veggies listed and it gives you a breakdown of what the nutrient content is in the food and the biochemical breakdown of how the nutrients benefit your health. pretty cool if you wanna let your inner geek out to play.

anyhow, chao. chao.

most likely July-ish, and hopefully I can score an apartment in Harlem... but I really don't wanna pay that much so I'm in desperate need of a roommate. I'm looking into the same building that dodoctor was in, it's really close to Tourocom and it seems like a really nice place!! (read: someone please be my roommate :( )

Hi there! I was just wondering if any prospective or current TouroCOM-NY students know if there is any patient interaction, or standardized patient experience in first and/or second year? I read some old posts that said that there wasn't, but I wondered if this may have changed as the school progressed. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure there is patient interaction, and at the very least OSCEs. You can also elect to shadow some of the physicians.

most likely July-ish, and hopefully I can score an apartment in Harlem... but I really don't wanna pay that much so I'm in desperate need of a roommate. I'm looking into the same building that dodoctor was in, it's really close to Tourocom and it seems like a really nice place!! (read: someone please be my roommate :( )

I'm pretty much in the same situation. I'm going in May to look for a place, then I'll probably move in late June/early July. I'm not sure where I'd like to live though. I DEFINITELY need a roommate as well though. NYC is way expensive for one and it would be a little lonely I suppose. Also, it's a bit cheaper to get a 2BR in some places than to get a studio.

If you guys are wondering about the area, I would suggest living in the Upper west side, Chelsea, or Midtown west area. The B and C trains closest to school run along those areas (it only takes 10-15 minutes between Midtown and 125th Street), and it's a lot safer. For those who need cheaper rent, try for Harlem/ Morningside area, but I wouldn't be walking around at night alone past 135th St ish. I also don't suggest driving at all in the city. NYC pedestrians are scarier than the speeding Escalades running around.

If you guys are wondering about the area, I would suggest living in the Upper west side, Chelsea, or Midtown west area. The B and C trains closest to school run along those areas (it only takes 10-15 minutes between Midtown and 125th Street), and it's a lot safer. For those who need cheaper rent, try for Harlem/ Morningside area, but I wouldn't be walking around at night alone past 135th St ish. I also don't suggest driving at all in the city. NYC pedestrians are scarier than the speeding Escalades running around.

Is this where a fair amount of the students are? Or are they spread out all over?

The list I got regarding where upperclassmen were staying was kinda all over. Quite a few live in Harlem, and some as far away as Jersey City (which is about 45min - 1 hour away by public transportation).

what up everybody.

im heading over to TouroCOM NY this coming school year. I'm starting to look into all those things we need to do before school starts (physical, transcripts, MONEY!), but of course finding an APT in NY City is the most exciting. Definitely can not afford a place to myself so looking for potential roomies. Still have plenty of time till school starts, but just wanted to say whats up and meet everyone. Those looking for a roommate keep me in mind. Everyone add me:

gchat: [email protected]
aim: zdawg826

im sure from my email you can figure out how to find me on facebook and twitter.

one here! :)

Financial Aid Question!
What number are you all putting down for the "Academic Year Information" stuff? I don't know how many credits a full-load is or how many credits per semester... ugh I wish applying for financial aid were easier -__-

I don't remember putting in that kind of information... Did you put in the school code? I think that bypasses a lot of specific questions about the school that way.

hey im goin to TOUROCOM in august and i need a roommate!!! i live in ny like 20 minutes from the school but i want my own place...im lookin around the 130s-150's on the west side...i know the area well and speak spanish...hit me up here or on the TOUROCOM 2013 facebook group...my names Matthew L. Abad!!!!!!!!

I don't remember putting in that kind of information... Did you put in the school code? I think that bypasses a lot of specific questions about the school that way.

oh lol it's part of the "Financial Aid" packet that we have to fill out from the Touro NY website... apparently it's 25 credits in the fall and 20.5 in the spring for anyone else who wants to know (via Trevor from Financial Aid)

one here! :)

Financial Aid Question!
What number are you all putting down for the "Academic Year Information" stuff? I don't know how many credits a full-load is or how many credits per semester... ugh I wish applying for financial aid were easier -__-

They told us we could just put "FT" for full-time in that space. And yeah, i hear ya on all this financial aid stuff. I'm trying to get mine all together at the moment too...such a pain! Good luck!

Edit... sorry I just saw you already answered your own question after I wrote this! :)

How are people going about looking for aprtments? Does anyone need a roommate?

I've been browsing craigslist to get an idea of prices, but I don't plan on actually looking at these apartments until around at least June to see what's open / still available. I asked a fellow SDNer to be a roommate after finding out that she is also attending touro.

I am going to go up there for the third week in may. I read this article (posted below) on the NY times website about getting an apartment in ny. spelled stuff out pretty well. seems back in the day the only way to do it was to go through a broker. but they charge alot, about $3400 upfront broker's fee for a $2000/mo place. that may work for some, but i am going to try my best to be thrifty.

in the article there is a link for a site set up by a former broker. On her site she has a way to look at a bunch of management companies in an area and many of the companies are ranked by people who have rented from them b4. Anyhow, if you go through the management companies, you generally don't have to pay the brokers fee. It just takes some more legwork. but hey for $3400, i can stay a few days longer in nyc and try to work it out. If I haven't found anything by the last day or two we will go with a broker. oh yes and there is also sublet.com. which is a good site too. anyhow, hope all goes well and if anyone os going to be up there the same time as me and want to meet up, just pm me. paz.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/20/re...0COV.html?_r=1

anyone thinking of doing HPSP?

Howdy Yall,

Trying to ween myfelf off the pre-osteo thread, but I've become so dependent...I'm moving up from Va circa mid-July. Look forward to meeting everyone in a few months!