TouroCOM NY, CCOM, KCOM, COMP-Northwest Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kurite

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have currently been accepted to TouroCOM-NY, CCOM and COMP-Northwest. KCOM is pending currently. I was wondering what everyone thinks of the rotation sites of these schools and really just a general opinion on which you think is best. Please let me know I am primarily concerned with rotation sites for this post at least.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I have currently been accepted to TouroCOM-NY, CCOM and COMP-Northwest. KCOM is pending currently. I was wondering what everyone thinks of the rotation sites of these schools and really just a general opinion on which you think is best. Please let me know I am primarily concerned with rotation sites for this post at least.
Thank you!

What is your home state?

Hello,
Thank you!

CCOM alllll the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
@JimmyB123
Ultimately I'm not going to decide by home state. For the matters of this post I'm primarily concerned with just quality of rotation sites.

@AlteredScale
Do you go to CCOM? Is it hat much better in terms of rotations over the others??

Thank you both for the reply

@JimmyB123
Ultimately I'm not going to decide by home state. For the matters of this post I'm primarily concerned with just quality of rotation sites.

@AlteredScale
Do you go to CCOM? Is it hat much better in terms of rotations over the others??

Seems like CCOM has the most resources when it comes to rotations in terms of having the opportunity to do your clerkships at teaching hospitals as supposed to precepting in an outpatient clinic.

The runner up IMO would be Touro-NY. @Awesome Sauceome any opinions?

@JimmyB123

@AlteredScale

If it's JUST rotations you are concerned about, then in my opinion (and I am by far no expert), CCOM wins hands down. Among DO schools, it is arguably one of the best when it comes to clinical rotations. Now that doesn't mean you'll necessarily have ALL good rotations; you'll likely get a mix.

But in all honesty, you should base your decision on more than just rotations. When I was choosing among schools, I too was focused solely on clinical rotations. That was not the best way to go about it and I am thankful for my friends, family, and SDN colleagues to giving me that perspective. Make sure you evaluate ALL aspects of the school/city/culture/people/etc. I hear your clinical education is going to vary from rotation to rotation no matter where you go. It's going to come down to the residents, attendings, and preceptors that teach you. That being said, CCOM definitely has the resources for a great clinical education.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@JimmyB123
Thank you and don't worry about it I have been looking at all the perspectives. I just wanted opinions on rotations. By no means is it my only determining factor.

Gauging the strength of each schools' rotations was the hardest part of the whole application cycle for me. I still can't say as I have any definitive idea of each schools overall rotation quality as each school seems to have many different rotations sites. It seems most schools have some that are teaching hospital-based and some that are largely preceptor-based. I have heard arguments for and against each model. Then looking at the fact that most schools do a lottery makes it even more difficult to gauge. It would seem that even if a school had some great rotations, you could "lose the lottery" and get a site you don't like. At the end of the day, my decision was based on many factors other than rotations, such as location (I am not a fan of large cities), structure of the curriculum, and overall gut feeling.

The tuition at CCOM is horrific.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Strictly in terms of rotation sites, CCOM wins.

Just wondering, what are the rotation sites that make CCOM ahead of the others? I currently have an acceptance there but looking around the area, I don't really see many places for rotations unless you have to travel out of the chicagoland area?

Just wondering, what are the rotation sites that make CCOM ahead of the others? I currently have an acceptance there but looking around the area, I don't really see many places for rotations unless you have to travel out of the chicagoland area?

You may very well have to leave the Chicagoland area. You should know that with virtually every DO school, most students will have to leave the area. Of all the schools listed, CCOM is among the most established (obviously so is KCOM), and I've heard nothing but good things about their clinical rotations. I've heard bad things about some of the clinical rotations at the other schools.

Could you have a good clinical education at the other schools, sure, but you're the one that asked us to pick which has the strongest clinical education.

You may very well have to leave the Chicagoland area. You should know that with virtually every DO school, most students will have to leave the area. Of all the schools listed, CCOM is among the most established (obviously so is KCOM), and I've heard nothing but good things about their clinical rotations. I've heard bad things about some of the clinical rotations at the other schools.

Could you have a good clinical education at the other schools, sure, but you're the one that asked us to pick which has the strongest clinical education.

Is there a reason as to why DO schools typically have students leave the area for rotations.

Is there a reason as to why DO schools typically have students leave the area for rotations.

There's probably a combination of reasons.

1) Most (read: all but a handful) of DO schools are in rural areas or small cities, so to get adequate training for hundreds of students, they have to branch out to other regions.

2) The DO schools in densely populated cities are usually very close to multiple MD schools that were either already around or own a good chunk of the hospitals in the city. They are already mostly filled with MD students rotating. Many DO and MD students rotate at the same locations, but if the hospital is owned by an MD school, there will definitely be more spots for the MD students than for the DO students.

3) Many DO schools have a tradition of "preceptorship", primary care, and rural medicine, so you have some rotations focused in outpatient primary care. We're talking small doctors offices. You can't send 20 kids at one time to a small outpatient office (or at least I hope you can't) run by a few docs. Because of that, you will be sending people out further and further away. For whatever reason (cost, tradition, whatever), DO schools cling pretty tightly to this model.

4) Most DO schools, unlike most MD schools, don't own their own teaching hospital. With most MD schools (not all mind you) there is a teaching hospital nearby that provides most of the clinical training to the school's students. This is a combination of COCA's regulations on ClinEd being more lax than the LCME's and probably some of the things above (rural location of schools, etc.).

I'm sure there are more reasons, and others can point them out.

Again, like I said, you can get a good clinical education at pretty much any DO school (especially those mentioned in the title), but there will definitely be some variability, so you may have to be more proactive with your learning than you might like.

Last edited:
Rotations are in chicago mostly. Some of the sites include: Advocate Christ, Advocate Masonic, Swedish covenant, mt Sinai, cook county, and Ressurection. Some of the sites slightly out of what is considered chicagoland, I guess are Advocate Lutheran and St James. Of course in 4th year you have more of a choice where you want to go.

Best thing is that all of these are academic hospitals with residents and interns.

Rotations are in chicago mostly. Some of the sites include: Advocate Christ, Advocate Masonic, Swedish covenant, mt Sinai, cook county, and Ressurection. Some of the sites slightly out of what is considered chicagoland, I guess are Advocate Lutheran and St James. Of course in 4th year you have more of a choice where you want to go.

Best thing is that all of these are academic hospitals with residents and interns.
Just wondering, do medical schools typically not have rotations at another university's medical center? Such as UIC, UChicago or like Northwestern?

Lol sorry to be "that guy," but Advocate Lutheran is certainly squarely within Chicagoland, being located only several miles from the actual city limits. St. James in Olympia Fields is absolutely farther out from civilization, but it's still "in the region" aka you could commute there for a rotation. This is very different from other DO schools which require you to move to a different state for your third year clerkships...

What list of rotation sites are you looking at? They are virtually ALL located in Chicagoland. Maybe we are having a difference of definition of "Chicagoland" - which to most natives means something like "Chicago and all of its surrounding suburbs" which might stretch 40 miles North, South, and West, and might even include parts of Northwest Indiana to some people :laugh:.

Just wondering, do medical schools typically not have rotations at another university's medical center? Such as UIC, UChicago or like Northwestern?

You're not going to rotate at UIC's hospital as a CCOM student (not 100% sure, but correct me if I'm wrong someone). You do rotate at places like the infamous Stroger Cook County (shout out to ER...what a classic show) which is also affiliated with UIC and Rush, so in essence you will be rotating with those students. But most hospitals you will rotate at are teaching hospitals that also have long standing relationships with other medical schools in the region, which happen to be allopathic schools.

There's not a chance you will rotate at UofC or McGaw. But keep in mind, I'm talking about CORE rotations that CCOM already has set up with hospitals for their students. You are free to rotate wherever you want for auditions/sub-I's.

There's probably a combination of reasons.

1) Most (read: all but a handful) of DO schools are in rural areas or small cities, so to get adequate training for hundreds of students, they have to branch out to other regions.

2) The DO schools in densely populated cities are usually very close to multiple MD schools that were either already around or own a good chunk of the hospitals in the city. They are already mostly filled with MD students rotating. Many DO and MD students rotate at the same locations, but if the hospital is owned by an MD school, there will definitely be more spots for the MD students than for the DO students.

3) Many DO schools have a tradition of "preceptorship", primary care, and rural medicine, so you have some rotations focused in outpatient primary care. We're talking small doctors offices. You can't send 20 kids at one time to a small outpatient office (or at least I hope you can't) run by a few docs. Because of that, you will be sending people out further and further away. For whatever reason (cost, tradition, whatever), DO schools cling pretty tightly to this model.

4) Most DO schools, unlike most MD schools, don't own their own teaching hospital. With most MD schools (not all mind you) there is a teaching hospital nearby that provides most of the clinical training to the school's students. This is a combination of COCA's regulations on ClinEd being more lax than the LCME's and probably some of the things above (rural location of schools, etc.).

I'm sure there are more reasons, and others can point them out.

Again, like I said, you can get a good clinical education at pretty much any DO school (especially those mentioned in the title), but there will definitely be some variability, so you may have to be more proactive with your learning than you might like.
Like you pointed out, what are some DO schools with their own teaching facility?

Lol sorry to be "that guy," but Advocate Lutheran is certainly squarely within Chicagoland, being located only several miles from the actual city limits. St. James in Olympia Fields is absolutely farther out from civilization, but it's still "in the region" aka you could commute there for a rotation. This is very different from other DO schools which require you to move to a different state for your third year clerkships...

What list of rotation sites are you looking at? They are virtually ALL located in Chicagoland. Maybe we are having a difference of definition of "Chicagoland" - which to most natives means something like "Chicago and all of its surrounding suburbs" which might stretch 40 miles North, South, and West, and might even include parts of Northwest Indiana to some people :laugh:.

I suppose I think of Chicagoland area just the area within the CTA stops. Because I wouldn't be driving most likely (depends on finances of car and maintenance) i would probably be traveling by bike/CTA.

St. James in Olympia Fields is absolutely farther out from civilization, but it's still "in the region" aka you could commute there for a rotation.

Isn't St. James just a little farther south than UofC medical center? Lol

Like you pointed out, what are some DO schools with their own teaching facility?

Most of the public schools and a few of the private schools have their own teaching hospitals. The thing is, just because they have their own hospital doesn't mean that hospital is a great place to train or do clinicals. Do your research, and go where you think you'll get the best education.

I suppose I think of Chicagoland area just the area within the CTA stops. Because I wouldn't be driving most likely (depends on finances of car and maintenance) i would probably be traveling by bike/CTA.

Err sorry but that's simply not the meaning of the word the way the majority of people use it. If you attend CCOM (or any other DO school maybe outside of Touro Harlem), you're going to need a car.

Isn't St. James just a little farther south than UofC medical center? Lol

Haha I think it's quite a bit more miles south. As a born-and-bred northsider, I don't think I've ever been as far south as Olympia Fields ;) (slight exaggeration, but the metro area is really huge...)

Don't forget Metra! Some of the more suburban areas are more accessible through Metra/Pace. Chicago really does have a plethora of different transportations available. Some of those hospitals are simply easier to reach by car, though. Lutheran General is in Park Ridge and just off of 294 so it's much easier to access it by car than by the Pace 250 bus that runs by.

Haha I think it's quite a bit more miles south. As a born-and-bred northsider, I don't think I've ever been as far south as Olympia Fields ;) (slight exaggeration, but the metro area is really huge...)
Maybe it counts if we drive past it on the way to the Skyway? Northside (suburbs) for life!

Maybe it counts if we drive past it on the way to the Skyway? Northside (suburbs) for life!

Hah yes, that's as close as we'll get! Or I guess down 57 to Champaign. I'm sure our horizons will expand during third year.

Hah yes, that's as close as we'll get! Or I guess down 57 to Champaign. I'm sure our horizons will expand during third year.
Oh you know I'm going to try to stay on the north side if possible :cool:

Don't forget Metra! Some of the more suburban areas are more accessible through Metra/Pace. Chicago really does have a plethora of different transportations available. Some of those hospitals are simply easier to reach by car, though. Lutheran General is in Park Ridge and just off of 294 so it's much easier to access it by car than by the Pace 250 bus that runs by.

For sure, and I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks!

Anyone mind commenting on the rotation sites at TouroCOM-NY? Is it hospital or preceptor based? There are a few rotation sites spread across NY on the school website but I'm not sure how to gauge the quality of each site.

Reactions: 1 users