TOUROCOM-NY Class of 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starri

Sarcastic Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It can't just be me so far.

I've been waiting for someone to start this thread, but I've also been fighting through my last undergrad semester and didn't want to jinx anything by starting something myself.

I'm really happy that this is where I'm headed. I was really impressed by the school at my interview.

Members don't see this ad.

I was waiting for this thread as well.

Congrats on your acceptance!

Hi new peeps.

I'm a fourth year currently... so that unfortunately means that I dont know a lot about what it going on at the pre-clinical level. But I do want to wish you all a congrats and good luck on your next 4 years!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if I would it would be viewed as a negative or a positive if I applied to TouroCOM since I did my PharmD with them too. (TouroCOM and TouroCOP are in the same building.)

Almost certainly a positive. I can see how it may be irrelevant, but not how it could be negative.

Plus Prancan would love you. (You guys know Prancan or do your docs not associate with our Pharm guys)

Almost certainly a positive. I can see how it may be irrelevant, but not how it could be negative.

Plus Prancan would love you. (You guys know Prancan or do your docs not associate with our Pharm guys)

Never met Prancan but I met Goldberg and Cammarata on numerous occasions, usually on those elevator rides. They might not like how me and the other pharm students used to bitch and complain about TouroCOM students taking up residence in the 4th floor study rooms.

Would grad GPA (from pharm school) matter? Reason I ask is because my grad GPA is the suck. I was part of the C=degree, just ace the NAPLEX and boards cliche.

Hey guys,

Accepted into the class of 2017 as well, can't wait to see you all in a few months time.

Happy Holidays! :)

At the interview they told us many if not all of the lectures are available on itunes U

Do you guys know if we can preview any of the lectures before we matriculate?

Congrats on your acceptances everyone! I'm a first year. Feel free to ask me any questions you might have

Congratulations to all our new classmates. I'm a little overwhelmed at trying to figure out how to move myself, my husband, and my cat 300 miles, but I'm really excited all the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the interview they told us many if not all of the lectures are available on itunes U

Do you guys know if we can preview any of the lectures before we matriculate?
I think I read somewhere that they offer a one-month intensive gross-anatomy course/lab that's not graded the mount before classes start for real. I was pondering doing it, if for no other reason than I'd like to get a handled on the work-load before it really counts. Plus, even though I took anatomy as an undergrad, it would be nice to have a refresher, especially on a professional level.

hi everyone. I am currently a first year at tourocom ny. as you'd imagine, I dont exactly have loads of time to monitor the forums, but if you pm me, ill be happy to help anyway i can. Good luck!

Just some stuff no one will tell you:

Per dean, we had 92% first time pass rate on comlex late year. Also omm was our worst section and biochem being our best, considering there are only like 4-5 biochem questions on comlex that doesn't really mean much.

I would advise you to look at more established places before you decide to come to Touro. Our clinical sites aren't that great, more than half of the class gets stuck in NJ rotating at hospitals where there is not much teaching. They don't tell us how they will decide who goes where, its done "randomly" somehow.

Touro is opening up a new branch up in middletown where they will have 500 students, I wish they would spend the same effort in getting us better clinical sites. They are opening up rotations at Orange Regional Medical Center which is in the same area, I have no idea how that will be.

The school is not awful, you will get thru and become a physician if you put in the work but it will be easier if you went somewhere that has a track record. Just my two cents having been here for three years, keep your options open.

Just some stuff no one will tell you:

Per dean, we had 92% first time pass rate on comlex late year. Also omm was our worst section and biochem being our best, considering there are only like 4-5 biochem questions on comlex that doesn't really mean much.

I would advise you to look at more established places before you decide to come to Touro. Our clinical sites aren't that great, more than half of the class gets stuck in NJ rotating at hospitals where there is not much teaching. They don't tell us how they will decide who goes where, its done "randomly" somehow.

Touro is opening up a new branch up in middletown where they will have 500 students, I wish they would spend the same effort in getting us better clinical sites. They are opening up rotations at Orange Regional Medical Center which is in the same area, I have no idea how that will be.

The school is not awful, you will get thru and become a physician if you put in the work but it will be easier if you went somewhere that has a track record. Just my two cents having been here for three years, keep your options open.

of note... 500 divided by 4 years is 125. Which is really how you should phrase that. 500 students written the way you did is a tad misleading.

I'm not a med student - I have been renting out rooms to med students at NYCOM for 15 years - but based on all the chatter that comes thru, it seems to me that Touro has new management that some students at least are very impressed with. NYCOM just got rid of an unpopular dean but there is a lot of damage to repair. Touro on the other hand does not have that problem. Just saying...

The leadership in a small school has an impact on student morale.

There was a standing ovation apparently for the new NYCOM dean, for instance, and a big sigh of relief from some students. Years later, DOs want to look back with fondness, not at pain and suffering. I have never met a Touro student who was not really enthused about the present and the future.

Just saying...

hi everyone. I am currently a first year at tourocom ny. as you'd imagine, I dont exactly have loads of time to monitor the forums, but if you pm me, ill be happy to help anyway i can. Good luck!

Does anyone know what the next step is after paying the deposit? I'm assuming there's still a couple months until we hear from the school again?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

Does anyone know what the next step is after paying the deposit? I'm assuming there's still a couple months until we hear from the school again?

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything.
Am wondering the same thing. I think I read somewhere on here that someone forgot to pay the 2nd deposit last year and lost their seat, so I definitely want to err on the side of caution.
Does anyone know?

I asked on the Facebook group, and we should be getting financial aid forms sometime in the next few weeks. I don't know about anything beyond that.

Personally, my husband and I are heading up to the city to look for apartments in the middle of March.

I am rotating at the NJRMEC and I love it. It isn't for everyone, but if you chose correctly there are excellent opportunities to be had. I certainly don't feel "stuck".

I am rotating at the NJRMEC and I love it. It isn't for everyone, but if you chose correctly there are excellent opportunities to be had. I certainly don't feel "stuck".

And I've exclusively gone to the more "traditional" rotation spots. Of which there are plenty. and I loved all of them. Trust me, whatever you need from your clinical rotations, you will have that resource available at some hospital and you'll usually end up at the one you want to be at. LesBois and I are two sides of the same coin. We wanted different things out of the cliical rotations (Well... slightly different, largely its all the same) and we're both quite happy.

Thats great you are loving it at NJRMEC. Its fine if you want to leave early and go home to study for boards, which is what I have been doing. If I was aiming for FM, maybe I wouldn't care as much, but I am going for a competitive residency.

Attendings I have run into don't really want you to be there and aren't much into teaching, yes there exceptions. But after paying 40k/yr, I refuse to be satisfied with the few exceptions. I put up with it for this year, hoping I would be able to rotate at the good hospitals during the fourth year because my lottery number sucked last year. And I was supposed to be able to pick near the top this time around. But in the middle of the year, they decided to do everything thru the online system, so if you got screwed last year, well too bad, sorry.

You can try to put in a request for change of rotation and if we have a spot we will put you in is the response I got. They know that there are no spots but I got the bs about filling out a change request form so I can waste my time. We do have monthly meetings with dean to discuss our issues but he can't really do much, he's a nice guy and means well, but he has no power. I realized the school will not be giving me enough clinical experience so I have to rely on rotations at other institutions for the fourth year.

As far as clinical experience we are getting the short end of the stick compared to SIUH, Trinitas, St. Johns. Yea there are a few places on consortium where they teach, Engelwood being one of them. But there is a strict limit on how many students can be there and I was able to rotate there, but come on. Your kidding me if you think you are getting the same clinical experience as students at these other hospitals.

I am writing this not to discourage you from going to Touro. The first two years are pretty solid (other than OMM) and I did well on my boards. Maybe someone else can post here about rotating at the other hospitals not in NJRMEC.

The school does have short comings and you should know about them before you commit 200k to them, be proactive. I hope for future classes they will have enough rotations at places so everyone can get similar clinical experience.

Thats great you are loving it at NJRMEC. Its fine if you want to leave early and go home to study for boards, which is what I have been doing. If I was aiming for FM, maybe I wouldn't care as much, but I am going for a competitive residency.

Attendings I have run into don't really want you to be there and aren't much into teaching, yes there exceptions. But after paying 40k/yr, I refuse to be satisfied with the few exceptions. I put up with it for this year, hoping I would be able to rotate at the good hospitals during the fourth year because my lottery number sucked last year. And I was supposed to be able to pick near the top this time around. But in the middle of the year, they decided to do everything thru the online system, so if you got screwed last year, well too bad, sorry.

You can try to put in a request for change of rotation and if we have a spot we will put you in is the response I got. They know that there are no spots but I got the bs about filling out a change request form so I can waste my time. We do have monthly meetings with dean to discuss our issues but he can't really do much, he's a nice guy and means well, but he has no power. I realized the school will not be giving me enough clinical experience so I have to rely on rotations at other institutions for the fourth year.

As far as clinical experience we are getting the short end of the stick compared to SIUH, Trinitas, St. Johns. Yea there are a few places on consortium where they teach, Engelwood being one of them. But there is a strict limit on how many students can be there and I was able to rotate there, but come on. Your kidding me if you think you are getting the same clinical experience as students at these other hospitals.

I am writing this not to discourage you from going to Touro. The first two years are pretty solid (other than OMM) and I did well on my boards. Maybe someone else can post here about rotating at the other hospitals not in NJRMEC.

The school does have short comings and you should know about them before you commit 200k to them, be proactive. I hope for future classes they will have enough rotations at places so everyone can get similar clinical experience.

Not an antagonistic question, a serious one. Were you expecting something different from NJRMEC? Because over in 2013 we were told (in the pre-resident era of those hospitals) straight up what they were and that we really should evaluate ourselves to know if this is the kind of education we want. Sure they pointed out the access to a few high profile physicians, and that is a honest plus, but they didnt sugar coat that it will be very different from most places and to only choose so if youre self motivated

The people who went there in my class are largely the most impressive matches the 2013 class will have (a few orthos, an acgme surg thats more or less in the bag, a lot of big name acgme IM programs interviewing a few people). Seriously the people who went there are all the ones that the school is going to laud and brag about on their match lists. But its not attributable (IMHO) to NJRMEC but to the fact that the people who chose to go their either truly wanted to be lazy, or truly were the best of the best before ever going there and learned more from the books than I could ever learn from residents.

so I'm curious if you were totally aware of what you were getting into.

Not an antagonistic question, a serious one. Were you expecting something different from NJRMEC? Because over in 2013 we were told (in the pre-resident era of those hospitals) straight up what they were and that we really should evaluate ourselves to know if this is the kind of education we want. Sure they pointed out the access to a few high profile physicians, and that is a honest plus, but they didnt sugar coat that it will be very different from most places and to only choose so if youre self motivated

The people who went there in my class are largely the most impressive matches the 2013 class will have (a few orthos, an acgme surg thats more or less in the bag, a lot of big name acgme IM programs interviewing a few people). Seriously the people who went there are all the ones that the school is going to laud and brag about on their match lists. But its not attributable (IMHO) to NJRMEC but to the fact that the people who chose to go their either truly wanted to be lazy, or truly were the best of the best before ever going there and learned more from the books than I could ever learn from residents.

so I'm curious if you were totally aware of what you were getting into.

Thats a fair question, I didn't have a choice. My the time my number to pick came up, Trinitas, SIUH, St Johns, even Nyack were gone. Only NJREMC was available. I thought well thats fine I will get a chance to pick in the first batch for fourth year, well that went out the window. I believe we are losing St. Johns this year.

High profile physician, being Migs? Come on thats like two months in surgery, I am not interested in surgery so I could care less. Maybe in a few years when these places are more organized and have their residencies running it will be different but I care about now.

The school told you all the reality, but does that really excuse them from having such a rotation? Especially when the other half of the class is getting organized rotations. I get the same excuse oh its SGU or Ross that took our spots, take more money from me go get me those spots, I don't care. I am paying thru the nose as is. Don't put me in a private office for IM rotation, how the hell will I get thru a subI when I am auditioning in a few months? Or have students arrange my schedule who don't know if the preceptor wanted one or two students and I get sent home.

The one big plus that did happen, was I went home early and studied for boards. I am glad third year is over and I can get out of here soon. Obviously Les and you had different experiences, mine wasn't that great.

They are losing a core rotation site?:confused:

Downgrading is more accurate. I'm relatively close with the DME and he made his reasoning very clear: he gets the strongest students lecom has and a few strong nycom patients, but his Touro patients are wildly inconsistent. Namely two disgraceful students from my year and one exceptionally problematic person from 2014 made him want fewer Touro students. He is still taking us, but at a much lower level with the hope that the cold shoulder makes them send only strong students.

A lot of people complain they can't understand the rotation selection process, but we do still have a real selection process that is open. Most DO schools have a rigged system to put the best students at certain high maintenance hospitals. St John's is tired of getting the top and bottom of our class when everyone else sends only their top there.

It is,comically, true that the DME doesn't like our deans, but he swears up and down this had nothing to do with the school or administrastion and was entirely the terrible performance of some of the students we send over. But even then, I was told it's a scale down, not a total loss.

Downgrading is more accurate. I'm relatively close with the DME and he made his reasoning very clear: he gets the strongest students lecom has and a few strong nycom patients, but his Touro patients are wildly inconsistent. Namely two disgraceful students from my year and one exceptionally problematic person from 2014 made him want fewer Touro students. He is still taking us, but at a much lower level with the hope that the cold shoulder makes them send only strong students.

A lot of people complain they can't understand the rotation selection process, but we do still have a real selection process that is open. Most DO schools have a rigged system to put the best students at certain high maintenance hospitals. St John's is tired of getting the top and bottom of our class when everyone else sends only their top there.

It is,comically, true that the DME doesn't like our deans, but he swears up and down this had nothing to do with the school or administrastion and was entirely the terrible performance of some of the students we send over. But even then, I was told it's a scale down, not a total loss.

Sounds like some rotations are still in flux. Will this be "fixed" by the time 2015 rolls around?

Subtlety is somewhat of a foreign concept to me. I had to put thought into that wording.

No need to "fix" anything, if you ask me. Not a great hospital by most standards, and we have plenty of space in the core facilities elsewhere.

I liked it, and I've been to pretty much everything out there. That little third world hospital has a warm place in my heart. Not that anything you said is wrong. I just like it, its education heavy.

Can anyone speak to the types of research opportunities that are available?

Thanks!

Has anyone received any mail from the school yet?

Has anyone received any mail from the school yet?

Not yet. Word on the street is that things should start moving in the next couple weeks.

Check the Class of 2017 Facebook page for more update info if you have one.

Was told that the 2nd deposit will be due on May 17th, and we will start receiving emails regarding this along with other matters in a week or two.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but how much is the second deposit?

Well, that's a relief. I was afraid is was going to be as hefty as the initial deposit, which would be a strain when we're needing to save to move.

On an unrelated note, does anyone know if they're going to be commuting kinda far for school? Like, outside of NY/north NJ?

Well, that's a heckuva lot of paperwork, but I guess I really didn't expect anything different. I'm hoping it's not too much trouble for my PCP to check all my antibody titers, especially since I'm still waiting to receive my third HepB series.

But I got to put the second deposit in the mail, and it's starting to feel more and more official.

I sent a request to the FB page to be added a couple of days ago but no one is adding me. why?

I sent a request to the FB page to be added a couple of days ago but no one is adding me. why?

The person in charge of it is probably busying studying/exams. I would just wait a few days.

Congrats on your acceptance!

It's going to be a lot of work, but I'm SOOOOO excited!

Hi! I am new to this forum! I got accepted on Thursday and I am really excited to be part of the school. During my interview, there was a presentation regarding the F. Edward Hebert Armed Forces scholarship. Is anyone here thinking about applying to this program/scholarship?
Also, is anyone here going to be commuting from Queens?

Hey guys,

I am a recent graduate of Touro-NY who is selling a bunch of necessary stuff to succeed in the first and second year. Among these are a ton of books, oto/opthalmoscope, brand new consult coat for OSCE/PD/OMM, and other things. Send me a PM if interested, I'd also be willing to answer any questions you guys might have.

Thanks!

anybody got an interview/acceptance with stats similar to mine?

cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.6; 23MCAT (first take) 27MCAT (retake) applying early in the cycle