Tourocom NYC vs LECOM- Erie

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

humz84

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good Luck to all those applying to Osteopathic schools. I live in NY and have recently been accepted to both LECOM in Erie and Tourocom in NYC. I am having a hard choice deciding between the two schools. I prefer to do my rotations back in NY and i'm not to sure if LECOM has hospital afflications here. I wanted to know which school would be a better choice. I understand that LECOM has been around for a while so they have everything in perspective whereas Tourocom is starting its first year basing off the Nevada campus curriculum.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks alot.

Members don't see this ad.

Here are LECOMs clinical affiliation sites. Easy to find on their website, I might add.

http://www.lecom.edu/lecom/application/rotations.asp

Which school is a better choice for you?

Dont base your decision on what people here think is a better choice.

Time to make decisions. This is big kid school.

JP, isn't it true that you have a better chance to do a residency if you went to medschool in that city/state?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Luck to all those applying to Osteopathic schools. I live in NY and have recently been accepted to both LECOM in Erie and Tourocom in NYC. I am having a hard choice deciding between the two schools. I prefer to do my rotations back in NY and i'm not to sure if LECOM has hospital afflications here. I wanted to know which school would be a better choice. I understand that LECOM has been around for a while so they have everything in perspective whereas Tourocom is starting its first year basing off the Nevada campus curriculum.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks alot.

Like JPHazelton said you have to figure this one out yourself. One thing I would say is that you should figure out where you will want to live for atleast the first two years. Also you may want to go to lecom because its more estbd. Myself, I know I need a NY style fast paced lifestyle to be my surroundings while I study. Although NY gets cold in the winter it definately does not get as cold as Erie. I would not be able to withstand those cold temps for a long period of time without getting depressed on top of any depression I would recieve from med school itself. I definately want to practice in NY when I'm done so it's also important for me to stay here. Even though Touro-NY is new and it has no reputation yet to speak and there is a possiblity for mistakes and/or problems, everyone in the administration has a very strong, very powerful past in education as well as medicine which leads me to believe that even though there will be a few bumps overall it will turn out well. Dr.Diamond was chair of the NY Board of Medicine at one point. So that's my viewpoint for whatever it's worth which is probably nothing. If you feel more secure going the estbd route LECOM maybe what's best for you. Whatever you decide good luck in your future endeavors and becoming a good physician.

I agree with everyone. You can't ask for others opinions when it comes to these type of things. I chose LECOM-Erie for the reason alone of getting away from NYC. I grew up here all my life and to be honest am sick of taking the smelly crammed subways everyday. 4 years of undergrad were plenty lol

To each his own, you know your study habits best. Good luck with whatever decision you make, if it's Erie I'll see you up there!