TouroNV vs TouroNY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liw002

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I paid the deposit to TouroNY already and just got a call from TouroNV for the acceptance of the coming Fall (I got pulled off from high waitlist). Debating which one I should go since NV is closer to my home and much cheaper (CA resident). However I feel TouroNY would have much more opportunities.

Please shed some light on this please

Members don't see this ad.

You already got pulled off the high waitlist at NV? Excellent! I'm also on the HW there (and regular waitlisted at NY).

I'm kind of in the same dilemma as to which school I would choose if given a chance. I live in Idaho, so the appeal to stay close and have family/friends come visit is huge, as no one says no to a free place to stay in Vegas. There's no other med schools in Vegas and 17+ hospitals in the area, and you can do all 4 years without moving. Henderson/Green Valley is arguably one of the best places to live, and apartments are super sweet for the cost. And for you, rotating and eventually matching in CA will be less of a hassle. There was a high percentage of students that matched into CA residencies: http://tun.touro.edu/programs/colle...r-of-osteopathic-medicine/match-results-2011/
Tests are in 6 week blocks, which is stressful but gives you some time to party with the class when they're done. Traditional lectures only, available streaming.

NYC is really the antithesis to Las Vegas. Culturally, economically, residentially, financially, and academically. Lectures are on iTunesU, you answer clickers for points when you do go to class, and questions are constantly screened for effectiveness. They are focused on only one aspect of your education: board scores. Years 3 & 4 you will consider yourself lucky to get ANY rotations in Manhattan, meaning you'll have to get a car (!!) if you don't wanna be on trains/stations for 2+ hours each day to commute to Jersey, Staten Island, and all the other rotation sites. You might as well live in Jersey. And having family fly out to stay with you is expensive and cramped. That said, it is NYC, which has intangibles to it, too. I have always wanted to live there for a few years, and it would be a perfect opportunity.

I believe both schools cost the same, though since the recession hit Vegas hard, the cost of living in NYC is exponentially higher than LV.

I'm still torn on both, but would gladly go to either school if given the chance. The students at both schools seemed happy, honest, and cohesive.

Members don't see this ad :)
May I ask what was your thought process in making your decision?

Logic: New York is awesome. End of argument.

Addendum: if you think you'll not have 3 or more major moves by the end of medical school you are a #naivepremed. Complaining that you'd have to move for 3rd year is silly.

Last edited: