TouroNY vs. LECOM-erie/Seton Hill in regards to Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HimeMomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the current list of rotation sites available to TouroCOM NY? I went to an interview in January and never really got the exact hospitals down. It seemed mysterious. I even searched on SDN, and thus far they have been old from 2 years ago. If anyone has new info, please update cause I am sure other students want to know as well.

As for the LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill versus part, I am just wondering if anyone had to ever choose between these two schools when they live somewhere else. I live in Philadelphia and both cities are sort of 2-4 hours away. If I can get good rotations at TouroCOM NY, then that will definitely be my top choice, however if TouroCOM is not as established as LECOM-erie then wouldn't it be a waste of money and risky if I went to TouroCOM?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the current list of rotation sites available to TouroCOM NY? I went to an interview in January and never really got the exact hospitals down. It seemed mysterious. I even searched on SDN, and thus far they have been old from 2 years ago. If anyone has new info, please update cause I am sure other students want to know as well.

As for the LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill versus part, I am just wondering if anyone had to ever choose between these two schools when they live somewhere else. I live in Philadelphia and both cities are sort of 2-4 hours away. If I can get good rotations at TouroCOM NY, then that will definitely be my top choice, however if TouroCOM is not as established as LECOM-erie then wouldn't it be a waste of money and risky if I went to TouroCOM?

LECOM-Erie has some really good rotation sites. We have affiliations all over PA, as well as some in Cleveland and the surrounding area. If you go to http://www.lecom.edu/phys_lecomt.php/student-clerkships/76/0/1967/14855 you can see our affiliate hospitals. Also if you go to lecom.edu you can see on the main page that the school set up a hospital day for us. There were a bunch of hospitals that had representatives and we were able to ask about rotations and residency at these hospitals. It was really good. I think we will get good rotations through LECOM over Touro-NY. I haven't heard anything good about the clinical years there (mostly negatives) but I am also not a student there and never applied there.

Do you know anything about the LECOM-B rotations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know anything about the LECOM-B rotations?

As far as I know, Bradenton's rotations are separate from ours so I have no idea about where they rotate

Thanks Bleeker!

My friend is doing 3rd 4th year in Philadelphia,how come I dont see any Philadelphia Hospitals on here? Has it been taken off?

Thanks Bleeker!

My friend is doing 3rd 4th year in Philadelphia,how come I dont see any Philadelphia Hospitals on here? Has it been taken off?

Well PCOM came and talked about their osteopathic consortium and all the hospitals they have. The hospitals change every so often. I would imagine there aren't any Philly hospitals because they have 5 med schools (?) there and there just isn't a good reason to send LECOM students that far. Also, the hospitals in this side of the state need students to rotate so we stay in this region more often. I personally don't want to do all of my rotations at a university hospital in a big city. I want to do gen surg in a community hospital where I can get more hands on work and see if I can handle the surgical lifestyle since that's what I want to do. Also I will be doing some military rotations too.

You mean Lecom students can rotate at Pcom's hospitals? But most choose not to? Or Pcom prefer Lecom students to stay out of their hospitals?

I'm just a first year, but the lottery already occurred for the second years and here's the list of hospitals that they'll be rotating through, if it's not obvious, keep in mind that not every student will rotate through EVERY one of these hospitals and that some students have had the ability to set up their OWN rotations in their home states, which, if you are savy with your connections and information, could make for an EXCELLENT set of clinical years.

Bronx Lebanon Hospital, Palisades Hospital, Rockland County Hospital, St. John's Episcopal Hospital, Jersey City Hospital, Staten Island Hospital, Holliswood Hospital, Jersey City Medical Center, Trinitas Hospital, Holy Name Medical Center, St. Elizabeth Hospital, Wilson Regional Medical Center, Port Jervis Hospital, Englewood Hospital.

The future is only promising for our students, only because we have recently acquired New York Medical College and the opportunity may arise where we even get rotation spots at Westchester Medical Center... AWESOME.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say it would be risky to go to a medical school when you're talking about rotations. A medical school isn't going to open without any rotation spots for their students. Our rotations are through some GREAT hospitals! Bronx Lebanon has one of the best E.R. residencies around, and their attendings have been sending great reviews on our third years... Well at least according to our academic dean... Also Jersey City and Staten Island Hospitals are two prominent hospitals that Albert Einstein college of Medicine as well as Mt. Sinai rotate some of their students through. So I hope this information helps.

Thanks Chup! That really clears some things out. I just heard too many bad things in the past when TouroCOM was in its first 2-3 years. I know that all schools promise a list of hospitals, but because of the competitive nature in NEW YORK CITY, it's normal that hospitals change their mind or drop out from the schools only to be offered more money for others.

I hope TouroCOM gets that hook up form NYMC

You mean Lecom students can rotate at Pcom's hospitals? But most choose not to? Or Pcom prefer Lecom students to stay out of their hospitals?

I don't know if we can do our core, affiliated rotations at PCOM hospitals. PCOM came to show off their hospitals for rotations and residency. There are some students who want to do their rotations in New York and New Jersey. I think the reason a lot of students don't rotate in Philadelphia is because it's far away from Erie and we would rather rotate in hospitals where we aren't fighting other students for learning opportunities. Plus we can rotate in Pittsburgh and Cleveland, both of which have some top notch hospitals