Program-Specific Info / Q's Towson OTD 2019-2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Future.OT

Reaction score
Hey guys! I haven’t seen a thread for applicants of Towson’s OTD program for 2020 and figured I’d start one! Has anyone heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! I just wanted to share a little tidbit about Towson that may be useful for people applying.

I recently observed an OT at a major hospital in Baltimore. That hospital is considering ending their connection with Towson OT (i.e. not allowing students to do placements there) due to several issues they have had recently with students not behaving professionally. Unfortunately, this isn't even Level 1 fieldwork, it has been people that are about to graduate.

The OT I shadowed also said that she had some serious issues getting placements while she was a student there. She wanted to go into a hospital but the fieldwork coordinator (who has since left) never made that happen. She is the second OT I've shadowed who has graduated from Towson (both within the last five years) and they both expressed the same issues.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The best advice I got was to be prepared to fight for placements. Start talking to the fieldwork coordinator as early as possible and don't back down about where you want to go. If there is a specific placement you want but they say is unavailable, you can try and contact them personally (you just have to fill out the paperwork for a new 'contract' with the school). I hope this helps someone down the line!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I just wanted to share a little tidbit about Towson that may be useful for people applying.

I recently observed an OT at a major hospital in Baltimore. That hospital is considering ending their connection with Towson OT (i.e. not allowing students to do placements there) due to several issues they have had recently with students not behaving professionally. Unfortunately, this isn't even Level 1 fieldwork, it has been people that are about to graduate.

The OT I shadowed also said that she had some serious issues getting placements while she was a student there. She wanted to go into a hospital but the fieldwork coordinator (who has since left) never made that happen. She is the second OT I've shadowed who has graduated from Towson (both within the last five years) and they both expressed the same issues.

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. The best advice I got was to be prepared to fight for placements. Start talking to the fieldwork coordinator as early as possible and don't back down about where you want to go. If there is a specific placement you want but they say is unavailable, you can try and contact them personally (you just have to fill out the paperwork for a new 'contract' with the school). I hope this helps someone down the line!
Yes this is really helpful. I know two people who graduated from their combined bachelor/masters program (no longer a program there) who had issues getting their fieldwork placements confirmed and were switched at the last minute. Luckily they both had housing in the area still! Hopefully communication on Towson’s end improves... Also, do you mind sharing what hospital in Baltimore isn’t working with them? Just curious!

Guys so I made the worst mistake and wrote “Townson” instead of “ Towson” throughout my whole supplementary essay about why I choose TU as my top choice to attend school. I’m applying to the masters program but was wondering how bad this looks. It was a huge mistake but I don’t know why I thought that’s how you spelt it. It’s my top choice I’m just nervous now on how bad this looks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Guys so I made the worst mistake and wrote “Townson” instead of “ Towson” throughout my whole supplementary essay about why I choose TU as my top choice to attend school. I’m applying to the masters program but was wondering how bad this looks. It was a huge mistake but I don’t know why I thought that’s how you spelt it. It’s my top choice I’m just nervous now on how bad this looks.

I’m finishing my undergrad degree at Towson right now and it’s a super easy mistake and a lot of people call it “Townson” if they’re not from the area! You probably heard someone else say it! I seriously wouldn’t worry too much about it since you said it in the first choice area which isn’t technically required.

I’m finishing my undergrad degree at Towson right now and it’s a super easy mistake and a lot of people call it “Townson” if they’re not from the area! You probably heard someone else say it! I seriously wouldn’t worry too much about it since you said it in the first choice area which isn’t technically required.

Thanks for the reassurance! Yeah I had no idea until I read it after I submitted. Hopefully they’ll look past it. It’s definitely one of my top choices.

Yes this is really helpful. I know two people who graduated from their combined bachelor/masters program (no longer a program there) who had issues getting their fieldwork placements confirmed and were switched at the last minute. Luckily they both had housing in the area still! Hopefully communication on Towson’s end improves... Also, do you mind sharing what hospital in Baltimore isn’t working with them? Just curious!
Im from Baltimore- wonder if it's Sinai...

Im from Baltimore- wonder if it's Sinai...
I was curious too about which hospital it is. I do currently know one student from Towson that is doing her fieldwork At Sinai but I haven’t heard her say anything about how hard it was to get placed there.

So I had posted what hospital and then had second thoughts. I was at a major ICU in downtown Baltimore. I just felt like people should be warned that it doesn't seem like people are coming out of the program fully prepared. I am local to Baltimore but plan to withdraw my application if I hear back from two schools in Pennsylvania that seem to focus more on clinical aspects.

Last edited:
So I had posted what hospital and then had second thoughts. I was at a major ICU in downtown Baltimore. I just felt like people should be warned that it doesn't seem like people are coming out of the program fully prepared. I am local to Baltimore but plan to withdraw my application if I hear back from two schools in Pennsylvania that seem to focus more on clinical aspects.
That actually makes me feel great because being from Baltimore- I always dreamed of going to Towson's MSOT program. Now because I won't have a prerequisite in time...i had to apply out of state to Philly. Philly is pretty close to Baltimore and has so many options! Will you become a resident of PA because of out of state tuition? (Also thats good you took down the hospital name.. because I guess it doesn't really matter to point them out)

That actually makes me feel great because being from Baltimore- I always dreamed of going to Towson's MSOT program. Now because I won't have a prerequisite in time...i had to apply out of state to Philly. Philly is pretty close to Baltimore and has so many options! Will you become a resident of PA because of out of state tuition? (Also thats good you took down the hospital name.. because I guess it doesn't really matter to point them out)

I'm planning on staying in Baltimore and commuting. Luckily most programs don't have classes every day which wouldn't make it too bad (fingers crossed).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on staying in Baltimore and commuting. Luckily most programs don't have classes every day which wouldn't make it too bad (fingers crossed).
Wow! Good for you. I wish you much luck with everything!

Hey guys! Has anyone heard back for interviews for their Masters program? According to an email I received,I think they should be letting us know by today.

Hey guys! Has anyone heard back for interviews for their Masters program? According to an email I received,I think they should be letting us know by today.

I received an email too that we should know by today but haven’t heard anything yet.

Hey guys check your emails! I just got an email saying I was invited to interview!

Hey guys! Do you know that for the transcripts? Do they have to be sent electronically or through mail?

Hey guys! Do you know that for the transcripts? Do they have to be sent electronically or through mail?

I called the admissions office and they said they accept electronic! So I sent mine that way since it's faster!

I called the admissions office and they said they accept electronic! So I sent mine that way since it's faster!
Thanks! Did you just send the email that is listed on their graduate admissions website?

Have you guys heard anything about the interview process and what the writing prompt is like?

Thanks! Did you just send the email that is listed on their graduate admissions website?

The school I sent mine from had Towson in the system and didn't ask for an email address for whatever reason, but they did ask for a phone number and I just listed the one on their admissions website!

Have you guys heard anything about the interview process and what the writing prompt is like?
I haven’t heard anything at all but I think we are supposed to receive an email today with more details about the interview process.

Hey guys check your emails! I just got an email saying I’m accepted to the OTD program!! Woo!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted to Towson’s MSOT program too!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 2 users
Omg, yayyy! I just got accepted to their OTD Program and will be accepting the offer! Congratulations to you both! :)

Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted into the MSOT program and will be accepting the offer! Can’t wait to get to know everyone.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys ! I just got accepted to the OTD program and accepted the offer! Congrats to you all!