Quantcast

toxic on the rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buggs

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
I am bashing my head in trying to put together my list. I can't decide on a number one, two, or three. On the interview trail I was always waiting for that one program to jump out at me and be that program that I just had to be in. It didn't happen. I found cities that I wanted to live in but the program wasn't exactly what I was looking for. The program that I want is in a city that's probably unaffordable for a single income family. I don't know if I really want to live in the midwest, but can I really afford the coasts. My home program was very enthusiastic about me staying but I questions about the quality of the training.

Maybe I should just start pulling names out of a hat. I would probably be just as happy. I'm weak. Can't somebody just tell me where to go?

shag

Supreme Procrastinator
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are truly at an impass, consider creating a pseudo-objective system for ranking programs. Make out a check list with qualities that you desire or want to avoid. Give each criteria a number score based on how important it is to you. Complete the check list with all of your programs and rank according to their scores.

BOTB

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
this is easy....if you have 3 programs you honestly think are dead even, make your choice on the following:

1. where do you want to live more (city, area of town, commute length, etc)
2. vacation time (more vacation is better in case you were wondering)
3. benefits (do they take care of health insurance, give you on-call meals, pay for parking, provide white coats, etc)
4. financial - do the institutions help you with home loans and relocating, any big difference in salary

there are lots more "little things", just pick the 2 or 3 that are important to you and rank these dead even programs based on the little things.

the really great news is that you have 3 #1's, so on match day getting any of your top 3 should be super exciting and be just like getting your number 1.