Toxicology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoguy

Assman
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the toxicology fellowship one can do after an EM residency........hours/salary/type of practice.......

Also if anyone knows a website I could get more info at (emra/saem only give where these programs are)...........

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

HI Orthoguy

Here's what I know about the tox fellowships. They generally are 2 yrs long and cover aspects of EM, occupational med, IM, and Peds. I believe that at most places you take home call, and respond to consults that are received through your regional poison control center. From my personal experience, tox attending and fellows are some of the coolest people to work with. I don't know how the hours or salaries are, I think they depend on the program, from my experience fellows seem to have responsibilities as junior attendings in the ED on top of whatever tox responsibilities they have. This can very depending on whether the program has an inpatient tox service or a consult service.

As for future outlook, graduating tox fellows I know have been sought after by many outstanding academic programs. I think you can be confident that you won't have trouble landing an academic position if that's what you want to do.

As for programs worth looking into, I have heard great things about NYC, Chicago, and Arizona's fellowships.