TPR 4150 Essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nelsondb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
"In business, competition is superior to cooperation"

Is this a reasonable MCAT essay question? The reason I am asking is because almost everything I have seen concerned policy - education, media, politics - etc.

How do you grab two examples for the business world? I could make a competetive example using Walmart, but do I really know anything about if Walmart cooperates with other corporations? Maybe thats one of the true reasons Walmart suceeds. How do you confront this question? I'll be so bothered if something similiar is on the MCAT monday. At least in policy we can pull from current events.

fyi source:The Princton Review Diag4150

Members don't see this ad.

yeah this is a totally reasonable question. i think anything that deals with current affairs is fair game for the WS. you could talk about how competition is typically the superior strategy for corporations as it drives innovation and the creation of better products and helps driver out the weaker companies (tons of examples for this -- look at any big company). as for the counterexample, just think of cases where there have been mergers or collaborations. one quick example is the cooperation between apple and cingular for the new iPhone. because neither company has full knowledge of this product, they must work together to complement each other.

just read nytimes or cnn for quick examples on current affairs.

and don't worry too much, since the WS isn't really worth **** as long as you don't get a J or K

good luck!

"In business, competition is superior to cooperation"

Is this a reasonable MCAT essay question? The reason I am asking is because almost everything I have seen concerned policy - education, media, politics - etc.

How do you grab two examples for the business world? I could make a competetive example using Walmart, but do I really know anything about if Walmart cooperates with other corporations? Maybe thats one of the true reasons Walmart suceeds. How do you confront this question? I'll be so bothered if something similiar is on the MCAT monday. At least in policy we can pull from current events.

fyi source:The Princton Review Diag4150

I think it's reasonable.. by the way, that's an essay topic for Kaplan's FL 2 or 3 I think. Weird...

This seems to me just the type of thing they love to write: vague, cliche, open-ended nonsense! Get used to it, brotha!