TPR all-in-one vs. box set

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golimumab

Reaction score
I recently began studying for the MCAT and am using TPR 2nd ed. 2016, which is a huge book with all subjects in it. Is the TPR 7 book box set significantly different, or is it the same texts divided into separate books? If they differ, is one better than the other?

I'd also like to know if TPR is a good choice for me. I've recently completed chemistry, biology, cell bio, biochem and genetics.....but I've never taken physics, not even in high school. So when I get around to physics I'll need a book that starts from scratch.

Also, I've been considering investing in the Kaplan 7-book set, but I got the TPR all-in-one from a public library, so if it is just as good as Kaplan (or better) I'll stick with it. So far I've finished TPR biochem, which was quite thorough, although a lot of the practice questions seemed to rely on material not presented in the text....so that's a bit disconcerting.

Members don't see this ad.

I have both 2nd ed Kaplan, 3rd ed Kaplan, TPR Psy/Soc (1st or 2nd ed) and now the 10th ed EK books (long story on why I have allllllll those earlier sets) :)

To me, because my content knowledge is a little older, I bought the EK books and am working through them (almost done - yay!) but there are times when the EK books are not sufficient so I go back to the Kaplan books for extra details. I never use the TPR psy/soc book because everything I need to know is in the 100 page KA document.

I am a retaker (void and scored 1x - dumb@#$ me - should have accepted the refund option :D )

Anyway, it won't matter really which set you use because ultimately, what you need it the AAMC materials at least the SBs, and FL's... and some other FLs from other companies

Also some other free resources:

Khan Academy
AK Lectures
premedHQ on youtube - like seriously, short videos explaining things - love this guy's presentations