Quantcast

TPR, berkley , EK, kaplan.. need help with choosing books?

Get Shadowing and a Virtual Clinical Education
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pre-med MOM

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am sure this question have been asked multiple time, just could not find any definite answer. So, here is my situation. I took all bio, physics, chem pre-req more than 5 years ago so I need detail content review. I just review kinetic eenergy and potential energy from kaplan just to see if I remember anything at all. I relaized I remembered all the related formula but definately need core knowledge to make sure I got it covered. My question is what is best for detail content review?
2- How you manage to get all the books from multiple prep companies? I saw they run around $150-400 on Amazon . What is the cheaper way to get multiple prep companies books? Are they available for rent as well?
I got kaplan math and bio review books from library but they dont have a complete set?

Thanks.

AnotherLawyer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you need a lot of work and you have the time for it, Berkeley review is the best hands down for the sciences. I have not heard good things about their psychology book, which doesn't even cover sociology.

Reactions: 1 user

aldol16

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It won't matter which one you get. I've heard that EK can be good with people who need extensive review, but I didn't use it myself. You can get any of those (cheapest is usually the best) and supplement with Khan Academy for topics you need more intensive review on. The Internet is a powerful source of information nowadays and knowing how to use it well can save you hundreds of dollars.

GummyWorm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am sure this question have been asked multiple time, just could not find any definite answer. So, here is my situation. I took all bio, physics, chem pre-req more than 5 years ago so I need detail content review. I just review kinetic eenergy and potential energy from kaplan just to see if I remember anything at all. I relaized I remembered all the related formula but definately need core knowledge to make sure I got it covered. My question is what is best for detail content review?
2- How you manage to get all the books from multiple prep companies? I saw they run around $150-400 on Amazon . What is the cheaper way to get multiple prep companies books? Are they available for rent as well?
I got kaplan math and bio review books from library but they dont have a complete set?

Thanks.

The Berk Review is the holy grail for the MCAT sciences.

Ad2b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any set of books will do, follow up with the 100-page psych/soc document that's floating about out there on the internet, and ALL AAMC materials.

Once you start using the AAMC materials, the books will become reference for answering content questions as will Khan.

I'm also going to suggest that anyone wanting a refresher on physio or other types of MCAT tested material check out the free courses on Coursera. I believe there is a current physio course, or one starting that is taught by a Duke professor.

GummyWorm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any set of books will do, follow up with the 100-page psych/soc document that's floating about out there on the internet, and ALL AAMC materials.

Once you start using the AAMC materials, the books will become reference for answering content questions as will Khan.

I'm also going to suggest that anyone wanting a refresher on physio or other types of MCAT tested material check out the free courses on Coursera. I believe there is a current physio course, or one starting that is taught by a Duke professor.

What is this 100-psych/soc document that you speak of? Any links? :)

Ad2b

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't have the link (and can't do that from work) but if you Google it, should show up in a drop box, or search r/mcat - links are there too. sorry :(

The document is a summary of the Khan psych/soc videos. I also have a document that I put on here somewhere that summarized researchers, theories, etc.

Swagster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As mentioned already, nothing beats Berkeley Review for the sciences. If you have other resources, save them until after you've done the TBR phases. After mastering TBR, you find everything else to be easy.